Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

And he's gonna bring Gerry down with him.

Poor Gerry is missing the bank holiday weekend as it is!

I very much doubt he will turn informer at this stage of his life:rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

I really hope that if there is something that made it worthwhile to interview him, it is released.
    Otherwise the PSNI does lose credibility, which is not good.

Arresting him now, after ignoring any inquiry results about other murders from years ago does seem consistent.

SF have a murky past, but PSNI do need to be held to different standards and be squeaky clean

RTE are suggesting the PSNI may be looking to charge Adams with IRA membership. Now I'd like to see every single person brought to trial who had a hand in Mrs McConvilles death, Gerry included if he was part of it, but I think an IRA membership charge right now would be silly and appear petty on the part of the PSNI (although they may, legally, not have any choice).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

it would appear that nothing has...

On the news earlier they said his barrister was there as well. It's looking serious. They also stated that David Cameron has spoken to several key figures, including McGuinnes.

I'd say it isn't looking good for Gerry.

If he is charged and there is water tight evidence implicating him, I wonder if we'll see Sinn Fein distance themselves from him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

RTE are suggesting the PSNI may be looking to charge Adams with IRA membership. Now I'd like to see every single person brought to trial who had a hand in Mrs McConvilles death, Gerry included if he was part of it, but I think an IRA membership charge right now would be silly and appear petty on the part of the PSNI.

Have you a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,770 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

RTE are suggesting the PSNI may be looking to charge Adams with IRA membership. Now I'd like to see every single person brought to trial who had a hand in Mrs McConvilles death, Gerry included, but I think an IRA membership charge right now would be silly and appear petty on the part of the PSNI.

Hope they arrest the soldiers involved in Bloody Sunday now if they are starting that craic. The was either an amnesty in the resolution of the conflict or there wasn't.

In advance of the elections was curious, but in advance if marching season is madness, could lead to a very tense summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Well due to the good Friday agreement, even people who were done for IRA crimes were released if IRA disarmed.
    So if Adams was charged with IRA membership, is it just a token charge and he is instantly release?

William F wrote: »
    Have you a link?

Tommy Gorman, first item on RTE 9 o clock TV news.

Well due to the good Friday agreement, even people who were done for IRA crimes were released if IRA disarmed.
    So if Adams was charged with IRA membership, is it just a token charge and he is instantly release?

It seems quite a complicated situation, even post Good Friday - couldn't quite follow Tommy Gorman's thinking on the news.

On the news earlier they said his barrister was there as well. It's looking serious. They also stated that David Cameron has spoken to several key figures, including McGuinnes.

I'd say it isn't looking good for Gerry.

If he is charged and there is water tight evidence implicating him, I wonder if we'll see Sinn Fein distance themselves from him.

I would doubt it...and wouldn't support them if they did...it was only few hours ago they were talking of withdrawing support for the police

water tight evidence of ira membership would be attainable imo
    but unless the psni have an informer who took part in the murder who is alive watertight evidence unattainable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Assume that is a rhetorical question?

They haven't disassociated themselves with PIRA activity before ( as in supporting that there needed to be a struggle)

2 years max...even for murder

It seems quite a complicated situation, even post Good Friday - couldn't quite follow Tommy Gorman's thinking on the news.

Would a conviction like this require the organisation to be in actual existence?

2 years max...even for murder

I would have thought it's full sentence or nothing actually

Would a conviction like this require the organisation to be in actual existence?

could charge him for date pre 98

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I wonder if we'll see Sinn Fein distance themselves from him.

As soon as the word "Guilty" is pronounced in court, we will suddenly be in an alternate reality where everyone knew Gerry was involved, the dogs in the street knew, and he only denied it as a gesture, a form of words to keep the intransigent and unreasonable Loyalists on board with the Peace Process, which was all his idea, and he should get a medal for being so convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

But even if there are charges, wouldn't they be based on these Boston Tapes? That won't stand up in Court as they cannot be cross examined (the participants are dead).

As soon as the word "Guilty" is pronounced in court, we will suddenly be in an alternate reality where everyone knew Gerry was involved, the dogs in the street knew, and he only denied it as a gesture, a form of words to keep the intransigent and unreasonable Loyalists on board with the Peace Process, which was all his idea, and he should get a medal for being so convincing.

It will be a big price to pay.

I would have thought so too! But Tommy Gorman seemed to tell a different story - sorry I don't have the full story but TG really was suggesting the feeling was he may be charged with membership.

But even if there are charges, wouldn't they be based on these Boston Tapes? That won't stand up in Court as they cannot be cross examined (the participants are dead).

The more I think about it, the more it seems political. Hope not.

• Advertisement

they are a bit dim god love them
    though in all fairness I cant see how it would effect voters...as its not like any would wake in the morning to a shock to see him charged??

this would appear to be an exercise in how the psni can waste money...as if loyalists would give them plenty to do for the summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I would have thought so too! But Tommy Gorman seemed to tell a different story - sorry I don't have the full story but TG really was suggesting the feeling was he may be charged with membership.

If the net result of the last number of days is a charge of membership of an organisation that has not existed in almost ten years then someone in the PSNI needs to have their position evaluated.

this would appear to be an exercise in how the psni can waste money...as if loyalists would give them plenty to do for the summer

Yes, I'd assume your average PSNI officer would rather spend time in something that might actually lead to a conviction, not token questioning (if in fact it is political token questioning)

Tommy Gorman's career ended once the ink on the Good Friday Agreement was dry. I'm surprised to hear his name around these parts.

I wouldn't take what he says seriously. It might be just sensationalism to get his career up and running again.

Yes, I'd assume your average PSNI officer would rather spend time in something that might actually lead to a conviction, not token questioning (if in fact it is political token questioning)

you would hope that...though it deos appear to have a sizable minority who wish to out of there way to antagonise nationlists with arrests for speaking irish...unreasonably large stop and seach...going out of there way to fine/intimidate gaa teams...esp underage
    as bad as it sounds..dissidents have raised some not unreasonable issues with the psni
    sinn fein sold it as they were going to look over/keep on the police when in effect they are just rubberstamping the actions of the psni

*this should also be said from what m told there are somw well rounded individuals within the psni...though its head officers are in many cases ex ruc (this is not unreasonable due to length of service etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

It is astounding that the members of the terrorist branch of the RUC special branch are appointed to this investigation. The higher echelons of the special branch were connect to the Glenan gang, the murder triangle that produced the Dublin and Monaghan bombings, and the romper slaughter.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

Tommy's contribution to the 6.1 news was a little bizarre. As you say he mentioned the possibility that Gerry might be charged with IRA membership, and intelligence evidence from the time that he was dealing with the British / Irish governments could be used as evidence.

I would be surprised if that happens. It could really undermine the peace process. Tommy was probably just wildly speculating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

If the net result of the last number of days is a charge of membership of an organisation that has not existed in almost ten years then someone in the PSNI needs to have their position evaluated.

I would very much agree with you.

Tommy's contribution to the 6.1 news was a little bizarre. As you say he mentioned the possibility that he might be charged with IRA membership, and intelligence evidence from the time that he was dealing with the British / Irish governments could be used.

I would be surprised if that happens. It could really undermine the peace process.

it would serve as a useful reminder to all republican/and everyone else to not trust the british to be 100% honourable...as there a lot of senior republicans would be hot water in the case and they have been a calming influence in ni the last few years as riots looked to be on verge of breaking out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Tommy's contribution to the 6.1 news was a little bizarre. As you say he mentioned the possibility that Gerry might be charged with IRA membership, and intelligence evidence from the time that he was dealing with the British / Irish governments could be used as evidence.

I would be surprised if that happens. It could really undermine the peace process.
    Could?

No could about it. If they use information gathered during negotiations, which were entered into in good faith -to jail Adams it is proof positive to those who say that the British were insincere and republicans were duped

I would hope in such circumstances the likes of yourself and FF would stand in opposition to it

Also if the only charge is membership it would be further confirmation that this arrest was politically motivated. Word is is that they are going through Gerry's books and articles people wrote about him and questioning him over IRA membership on the back of that

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement