Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

Could?

No could about it. If they use information gathered during negotiations, which were entered into in good faith -to jail Adams it is proof positive to those who say that the British were insincere and republicans were duped

Absolutely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

with a criminal and cowardly murder locked up for life with any luck , would nt hold my breath though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

with a criminal and cowardly murder locked up for life with any luck , would nt hold my breath though
    How many times does it have to be said that the max he would spend in jail if he was convicted of anything is two years?

You have a great attitude though, I heard they are looking for extra help in Antrim interrogation centre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

he is many things but to call him a coward is silly at best

he put his life on the line for a cause (wheter you agree with the cause or not) and also hs life on the line for the peace process....he is after being shot,tortured arrested etc

several attempts on his life

can you imagine any other party leader in the south doing likewise??

• Advertisement

Sunday Times News page 1: @GerryAdamsSF being interrogated about articles he wrote in An Phoblacht as "Brownie" from Long Kesh prison

In other words nothing to do with McConville but membership

Adams of course will rightly point out that those articles were collaborative efforts from those in jail with him... no way they can prove it was him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

ya he is a housewife shooting hero alright

honestly some people ......... ya really think he is a innocent ?
    this was a war crime ffs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Can you imagine any other party leader in the south possibly being a murderer/having ordered murders of "collaborators"?

All that stuff that happened to him that you mentioned was a simple case of laying down with dogs and getting fleas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

ya he is a housewife shooting hero alright

honestly some people ......... ya really think he is a innocent ?
    this was a war crime ffs

Oh goodie, so you have proof I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,192 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Who's the man caught with this working on behalf of http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-27264767

I'd expect Adams out tomorrow and to be thanked for his co-operation or things could go very pear shaped very quickly, I'd assume there's a lot of die hard just waiting for an excuse and the psni are in danger of giving them one.

• Advertisement

Can you imagine any other party leader in the south possibly being a murderer/having ordered murders of "collaborators"?

All that stuff that happened to him that you mentioned was a simple case of laying down with dogs and getting fleas.

Eamon Gilmore. Sean Garland. Kathleen Lynchs husband who works for her gunned down Larry White. The brother of Lynch (another brother is a TD) is still on the run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

Michael Collins springs to mind.

no I cant...I can only imagine the thing any them would be charged with would be corruption and lying on election promises

he put his life on the line...there were several attempts to kill him...he could have easily run into sunset and be forgot about
    but he chose to stand up for others....its like this if he went to Europe as leader of ireland...do you think he would be getting patted on the head and made look like a fool by other leaders in Europe??

William F wrote: »
    Michael Collins springs to mind.

jack lynch etc....but you cant mention hyprocisy/massive blindspots in irish politics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Can you imagine any other party leader in the south possibly being a murderer/having ordered murders of "collaborators"? s.

Proinsias De Rossa (born 15 May 1940) is a former Irish Labour Party politician. He was President of the Workers' Party and subsequently leader of Democratic Left; later, he was a senior member of the Labour Party. He was Minister for Social Welfare from 1994 to 1997.[1] He was a Member of the European Parliament for the Dublin constituency from 1989 to 1992 and from 1999 to 2012.

Born as Francis Ross in 1940 in Dublin, he was educated at Marlborough Street National School and Dublin Institute of Technology. Soon after his sixteenth birthday, in May 1956, he joined the IRA,[2] and was politically active in Sinn Féin from an early age. During the IRA Border Campaign, he was captured training IRA members in Glencree in May 1956, served seven months in Mountjoy Prison and was then interned at the Curragh Camp.[3]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proinsias_De_Rossa

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Lastlight.

he put his life on the line for a cause (wheter you agree with the cause or not) and also hs life on the line for the peace process....he is after being shot,tortured arrested etc

I think corward is perfectly suitable for Gerry Adams. Happy to see Ivor Bell be charged and denied IRA membership for years (which is coming to an end now) and so frightened to admit to IRA membership.

Only reason he hasn't admitted it is because once he does, he will be culpable for giving the order of Jean Mcconvilles brutal murder. A mother of 10 children taken from her home and shot in the back of the head and then buried in a hole.

In Northern Ireland he is perfectly safe, it's once he started entering the politics of the Irish Republic, it's a different ball game. The public don't buy or accept IRA bull**** and questioning and scrutiny is much more on him.

And people saying it is political policing, it would be political policing if they didn't interview one of the biggest suspects in Jeans murder, if not the biggest. You seriously think Ivor bell is going to accept going down and not taking Gerry Adams with him?

A mother was murdered and yet you had small crowd in West Belfast thinking that isn't important and the issue should be Gerry being questioned as the main issue. Yeah, if you are a deluded Republican who believes Gerry was never in the IRA and everything he says is true.

It wouldn't look out of place in North Korea such is hear no evil, see no evil mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

How many times does it have to be said that the max he would spend in jail if he was convicted of anything is two years?

Based off what exactly ,if he was charged and subsequently found guilty of the mcconville murder and gets say life ,
    Why would he be out in 2 years

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Simple as this. A section of people were discriminated against under some colonial ideas of supremacy. Some people fought for a peaceful solution. The British army killed some of them and killed a peaceful solution. That allowed extremists to take control and in the words of Civil rights leader Ivan Cooper(a protestant who stood up for catholic rights) after bloody sunday

No one likes what happened after but it was going to be happen when a peaceful solution someone would have stood up and fought back. The British decorated the troops who shot people in the back and killed unarmed civilians someone was always going to fight back. If not the IRA it was going to be someone else. I was in America when the holy cross dispute happened, I.e the event in which catholic school children had stones and urine thrown at them when they walked by protestant owned houses. Someone in the bar at the time said "If there's a campaign to get rid of people like that I'll fund it".

The impetus was there for violence to occur, it did and to deny the reasons why it happened is to reject peace. If you want to persecute people for fighting back in situations where violence was fostered you're going to open up a lot of old wounds.

Like many people on both sides of politics Gerry Adams fought a campaign of violence but then made enemies on both sides fighting for peace.

I get the impression from a lot of posters on here couldn't care less about his place in the peace process because all that matters to them is that he's a republican and that to them is a bad thing.

A brilliant post, kudos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Lastlight. wrote: »
    A mother was murdered

You and people like you don't give a flying fuck about Jean McConville. You just hate that SF are in government in the north and now there are taigs about the place.

Get used to it son. You're going to be living in the north and it'll be the green running the place and not the Orange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

realies wrote: »
    Proinsias De Rossa (born 15 May 1940) is a former Irish Labour Party politician. He was President of the Workers' Party and subsequently leader of Democratic Left; later, he was a senior member of the Labour Party. He was Minister for Social Welfare from 1994 to 1997.[1] He was a Member of the European Parliament for the Dublin constituency from 1989 to 1992 and from 1999 to 2012.

Born as Francis Ross in 1940 in Dublin, he was educated at Marlborough Street National School and Dublin Institute of Technology. Soon after his sixteenth birthday, in May 1956, he joined the IRA,[2] and was politically active in Sinn Féin from an early age. During the IRA Border Campaign, he was captured training IRA members in Glencree in May 1956, served seven months in Mountjoy Prison and was then interned at the Curragh Camp.[3]

Pity about the bonfire that caused his memory lapse. Then again what would you expect from the OFIRA/OFSF/OFSFWP/ WP/DL/ Labour party. How many times do you change your number plates in order to protect your image.
    Failed on all counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I think corward is perfectly suitable for Gerry Adams. Happy to see Ivor Bell be charged and denied IRA membership for years (which is coming to an end now) and so frightened to admit to IRA membership.

Because if he admitted membership he would be in prison within a few hours.
    Only reason he hasn't admitted it is because once he does, he will be culpable for giving the order of Jean Mcconvilles brutal murder. A mother of 10 children taken from her home and shot in the back of the head and then buried in a hole.

That doesn't follow. Unless you think every member of the British army is responsible for bloody sunday ?
    In Northern Ireland he is perfectly safe, it's once he started entering the politics of the Irish Republic, it's a different ball game. The public don't buy or accept IRA bull**** and questioning and scrutiny is much more on him.

You should check the opinion polls released today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

Yes, ordering the use human proxy bombs is very brave..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

A clause in the GFA.

Could that change though ,for instance if found guilty of one murder ,and charged and convicted for other crimes before the murder sentence finishes

And people saying it is political policing, it would be political policing if they didn't interview one of the biggest suspects in Jeans murder, if not the biggest. You seriously think Ivor bell is going to accept going down and not taking Gerry Adams with him?

A mother was murdered and yet you had small crowd in West Belfast thinking that isn't important and the issue should be Gerry being questioned as the main issue. Yeah, if you are a deluded Republican who believes Gerry was never in the IRA and everything he says is true.

It wouldn't look out of place in North Korea such is hear no evil, see no evil mentality.

I far from believe he wasn't in the ira...what dope said that...though I do believe in his right not incrimate himself
    like bertie Ahearn will never openly say he was corrupt:rolleyes::rolleyes:

as for ivor bell..most he will do is two years

I would be [EMAIL="100@%"]100%[/EMAIL] certain he wont inform as it be a bit silly esp for the murder of an informer and how he could stand/show his face in public again esp since the ira killed so many informers from its own ranks??

there is nothing for him to gain in bringing down adams...they are after being interrogated countless times over the years without breaking...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

realies wrote: »

And then there's Mr. Gilmore's leadership of The Workers Party/Official Sinn Fein and their own connections to the Official IRA.

Gatling wrote: »
    Could that change though ,for instance if found guilty of one murder ,and charged and convicted for other crimes before the murder sentence finishes

AFAIK no
    though I think the SCC was to go aswel (not sure)

Gatling wrote: »
    no

• Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Such a bollocks argument. How do people keep a straight face when arguing this nonsense? He can't admit membership because it is subject to criminal prosecution with no time limitations. Which is utterly ridiculous and completely incompatible with and contrary to a peace process.

I also find the faux outrage over McConville's death completely disingenuous. You people don't really care about her or anyone else. I don't buy it because I can't buy the complete absence of logic involved in being so desperate to see Adams serve two years in incarceration that it would be worth derailing a peace process to achieve.

Adams was undoubtedly in the IRA. He undoubtedly was involved in ordering / planning deaths of IRA targets. But then he was instrumental in getting that organisation to lay down its weapons. People need to move on if they want peace on this island. But some would rather see short term political gain than the long term benefits of a lasting peace. So sad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Dail clerks are reported to be moving Gerry's office equipment to HMP Maghaberry tonight.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement