Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 203 ✭✭Lastlight.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Such a bollocks argument. How do people keep a straight face when arguing this nonsense? He can't admit membership because it is subject to criminal prosecution with no time limitations. Which is utterly ridiculous and completely incompatible with and contrary to a peace process.

I also find the faux outrage over McConville's death completely disingenuous. You people don't really care about her or anyone else. I don't buy it because I can't buy the complete absence of logic involved in being so desperate to see Adams serve two years in incarceration that it would be worth derailing a peace process to achieve.

Adams was undoubtedly in the IRA. He undoubtedly was involved in ordering / planning deaths of IRA targets. But then he was instrumental in getting that organisation to lay down its weapons. People need to move on if they want peace on this island. But some would rather see short term political gain than the long term benefits of a lasting peace. So sad.
    Saying Gerry Adams did a lot for peace is like saying Jimmy Savile did a lot for charity. It's completely irrelevant. John Hume managed to not order anyone's murder and he is seen as a great man.

One of the biggest tragedies is the attempt to put Gerry Adams above a man like John Hume in the history books. Some people would like to see some justice or recognition of what they did.

Once it didn't go the way of Sinn Fein, out came the threats and conspiracy rubbish. He is being questioned and still being held because he is a suspect and a big one at that. There is no conspiracy here.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Dail clerks are reported to be moving Gerry's office equipment to HMP Maghaberry tonight.

Source?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Dail clerks are reported to be moving Gerry's office equipment to HMP Maghaberry tonight.

Another buffoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Source?

It's a secret.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,349 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Lastlight. wrote: »
    Saying Gerry Adams did a lot for peace is like saying Jimmy Savile did a lot for charity. It's completely irrelevant. John Hume managed to not order anyone's murder and he is seen as a great man.

One of the biggest tragedies is the attempt to put Gerry Adams above a man like John Hume in the history books. Some people would like to see some justice or recognition of what they did.

Once it didn't go the way of Sinn Fein, out came the threats and conspiracy rubbish. He is being questioned and still being held because he is a suspect and a big one at that. There is no conspiracy here.

No sir, it certainly is not.

I would never denigrate the contribution of men like John Hume, Seamus Mallon and David Trimble. They played an integral role in what was, in the end, a collaborative process involving all sides. But the current actions of the PSNI risk driving a wedge through that collaboration. You cannot pick and choose which atrocities from a long unseemly process you wish to investigate. You either follow everything up, or follow nothing up. That is how these things must work.

As bad as charging Adams with involvement in McConville's murder might be, if they try and justify the last few days with a charge of IRA membership it would be a shockingly immature and dangerous action which could lead to dreadful consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

He's hypnotized his interrogators with his new pearly whites & will be home for brekkie

Another buffoon.

A c'mon it's funny!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

printers for all:pac::pac:

emm no its not completely irrelevant:rolleyes::rolleyes:

with out him putting his neck on the line...there would be no peace process...it could be still be a cold bitter pointless military stalemate with lives wasted in prison or dead on both sides

with all credit to john hume...there is no way in hell he could have brought about a stand down of the ira...without that there would be no peace

printers for all:pac::pac:

Hahahahahahahahahaha :D

*High-fives tomwaterford*

• Advertisement

No sir, it certainly is not.

I would never denigrate the contribution of men like John Hume, Seamus Mallon and David Trimble. They played an integral role in what was, in the end, a collaborative process involving all sides. But the current actions of the PSNI risk driving a wedge through that collaboration. You cannot pick and choose which atrocities from a long unseemly process you wish to investigate. You either follow everything up, or follow nothing up. That is how these things must work.

As bad as charging Adams with involvement in McConville's murder might be, if they try and justify the last few days with a charge of IRA membership it would be a shockingly immature and dangerous action which could lead to dreadful consequences.
    No one is above the law and the British soldiers who murdered people could very well be charged in the future. This case is on Gerry Adams and Jean Mcconville. Gerry Adams is not above the law.

It's as if questioning Gerry Adams is against the law the way some people are going on about it. What did Gerry Adams expect when he walked into Antrim police station? A 5 minute chat and a cup of tea?

No one is above the law and the British soldiers who murdered people could very well be charged in the future. This case is on Gerry Adams and Jean Mcconville. Gerry Adams is not above the law.

It's as if questioning Gerry Adams is against the law the way some people are going on about it. What did Gerry Adams expect when he walked into Antrim police station? A 5 minute chat and a cup of tea?

I will 10000000000% shocked if this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

No one is above the law and the British soldiers who murdered people could very well be charged in the future.

How can the Paras who committed the Ballymurphy massacre be charged when Theresa Villiers refuses to hold an enquiry into it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Some important thoughts here (selective quotes from the posts)
    ...I can't buy the complete absence of logic involved in being so desperate to see Adams serve two years in incarceration that it would be worth derailing a peace process to achieve.
    [...]
    Adams was undoubtedly in the IRA. He But some would rather see short term political gain than the long term benefits of a lasting peace. So sad.

This is really the crux of the matter. Lucky Lloyd wants peace. Lastlight wants justice - but what if that justice comes at the expense of peace?

There's been so much time, money and principles sacrificed on many sides to get us to where NI is now, and it's difficult to see how this situation can have a positive outcome.

You don't get it, it seems the consequences of moving on from the past and committing to a lasting peace are lost on you. The law is deficient in this regard and is creating a nonsense situation. It puts the PSNI in a difficult situation they should not be placed in. A truth and reconciliation process with full immunity is what is ultimately required.

How can the Paras who committed the Ballymurphy massacre be charged when Theresa Villiers refuses to hold an enquiry into it?

even if there was an equiry...they will never be charged...you are naïve to think they will....its like asking SF to out the names of everyone whoever took any actions with the RA...it'll never happen...absolute best can be hoped for is a formal inquiry where people can come forward and give there stories with no fear of prosecution

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I was listening to the McIntyre chap this morning, he kept going on about intellectual responses and purity of academic record. But then revealed himself to have a massive chip on his shoulder.
    These two men, McIntyre and Moloney, should really be ashamed of themselves.
    I really cannot see how anything on these tapes can stand up in a court. Complete sham.

http://www.irishcentral.com/news/Boston-College-tapes-was-a-Get-Adams-project-from-the-beginning---.html#ixzz30fC6aCqW

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Tomorrow's Sindo claiming that Alan Shatter is now found to have broken the law

http://i.imgur.com/Ydwally.jpg

Wonder how long it'll take for him to be arrested!

Things change and with this case on Gerry Adams, it could all change. But some of the conspiracies in the last few days are ridicolous. You would never have known this was about the murder of a mother of 10 children if you looked at West Belfast yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

A truth and reconciliation process with full immunity is what is ultimately required.

Assuming that is for all sides, soldiers, etc - do you think the good people of Northern Ireland (or in fact all of them) would be in favour of that?

I've a feeling they would.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Albertofrog

even if there was an equiry...they will never be charged...you are naïve to think they will....its like asking SF to out the names of everyone whoever took any actions with the RA...it'll never happen...absolute best can be hoped for is a formal inquiry where people can come forward and give there stories with no fear of prosecution

Believe me I'm not naive - I was born and brought up in west Belfast
    I know there will never be an inquiry or trial

To be very clear, I am willing to accept that in the scenario that should exist atrocities committed by the British Government and Loyalist Paramilitaries would be subject to the same amnesty. That's the nature of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

You don't get it, it seems the consequences of moving on from the past and committing to a lasting peace are lost on you. The law is deficient in this regard and is creating a nonsense situation. It puts the PSNI in a difficult situation they should not be placed in. A truth and reconciliation process with full immunity is what is ultimately required.
    What the PSNI are currently engaged in is of their own making. Running around trying yo make a membership charge stick. It is a high stakes move for very little reward. Makes little sense other than to save face

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

i dont think they will its military courts that deal with soldier actions mostly nothing has been done and the psni ultimately cant do very much as even trying to arrest a soldier in england isnt going to happen

something needs to be done to clear out the skeletons in each sides closets. there will never be progress if we dont

Assuming that is for all sides, soldiers, etc - do you think the good people of Northern Ireland (or in fact all of them) would be in favour of that?

I've a feeling they would.

I think so. There would be vocal opponents, but I firmly believe the majority of people want to see it all admitted to and then consigned to the history books once and for all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

Tomorrow's Sindo claiming that Alan Shatter is now found to have broken the law

http://i.imgur.com/Ydwally.jpg

Wonder how long it'll take for him to be arrested!

hope they put walace and shatter in the same cell ........ along with gerry.

scumbags all of varying degrees

Even if he is charge and convicted with IRA membership, it is still something as you have some who still argue against it and perhaps give the electorate in the Irish elections something to think about.

To be very clear, I am willing to accept that in the scenario that should exist atrocities committed by the British Government and Loyalist Paramilitaries would be subject to the same amnesty. That's the nature of it.
    it would appear to be a logical step to resolving out standing issues...and give some closure to families

but will britin be prepared to revel the full extent to low long it sank to during the troubles??

there was a famous quote of tom barry in relation to this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I think so. There would be vocal opponents, but I firmly believe the majority of people want to see it all admitted to and then consigned to the history books once and for all.

The British will never agree to it, because they will be telling all those who adore the British defence forces that their idols are less than honourable men and women.
    That would be huge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

Lastlight wants justice

Lastlight wants to return to the days when there were no taigs about the place and the loyalist drum bangers could march wherever they wanted.

What he has failed to realise is that those days are gone forever and they ain't coming back. The brave Garvaghy Road residents helped usher in a new era where the BGov realised that pandering to union/loyalist fascism was just not worth the trouble.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement