Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

That is only one small aspect of a bloody big army, though. It's not like the UUP/DUP/Whoever have the entire army at their personal disposal and the entire BA doesn't exist to only achieve their aims (quite the contrast to the IRA, who were acting for one party). All countries have a right to defend themselves, and Britain is no different.

However having said that, it's perfectly clear the army (in general) behaves like a pack of rabid animals. They are not, should not, be treated as though they are above the law. All this painting up every British person as a brainless supporter of these bodies does you no favours.

The job of the BA was to suppress the natives and preserve the Empire. They did this in Burma, Aden, Cyprus and Kenya, to name but a few.
    http://www.theguardian.com/world/2011/apr/09/malaya-massacre-villagers-coverup
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2012/oct/08/empire-torture-kenya-catastrophe-Europe
    http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-20302280

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/revealed-how-british-empires-dirty-secrets-went-up-in-smoke-in-the-colonies-8971217.html

Many officers and soldiers who served in these places eventually served in the North.

The BA was put under local control in the North. The B specials were essentially rebranded as the UDR. The UDR was the largest supplier of loyalist weaponry for many years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Gerry Adams is being questioned for up to 17 hours a day by detectives investigating the murder of Jean McConville, a source close to him says.

The Sinn Fein leader, who denies any involvement in the killing, has spent a fourth night in police custody.

Police have until 20:00 BST on Sunday to charge or release Mr Adams. The source said there would need to be a significant development for a charge.

If charged he would appear at a special court sitting on Sunday or Monday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-27272797

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

pO1Neil wrote: »
    The Blueshirts love child Michael Collins could not bring peace to this island, he made life hell for the Catholics in the North after he had Henry Wilson killed.
    Fiana Fail's lovechild Eamon (wade through blood) De Valera started a war they killed more Irishmen in the space of 9 months than the whole 30 years of the North war yet he was voted twice a president of this country.

For some reason our violence was okay & in many cases rewarded, yet "see these different people up here in the North their violence is bad" The Provo's had more of a mandate than the men of 1916.

Without Gerry Mandela Adams the peace process could fall apart.

Your argument put simply would be that the old IRA are much the same in terms of tactics and justification as the provos, the former are reversed so therefore the latter should be too?

Leaving aside (and boy, do republicans leave this aside!) the fact that the Irish people, at the ballot box and everywhere else, repeatedly and unequivocally told PIRA, "not in my name", and the irony of mainstream republicans now criticising the dissidents exactly as we had criticised them, there is another difficulty with your argument.

Imagine if the British embraced that kind of thinking? I.e. Looked at at some of the unsavoury military heroes of old, who they still revere, and argue that some of them did far worse that the BA did in NI so the latter should be revered too?

All of which highlights the fallacy of looking to old history to justify present day actions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Karl Stein wrote: »
    You must understand that Jean McConville's case is being rigorously investigated while other cases, like those of the BA soldiers who murdered a Mother of eight children in Ballymurphy, are not.

How do you know they're not? (Or that they won't once the new inquests have been completed)

Are you privy to the HET's inner-workings?

And why is no one who is banging on about the refusal to hold an inquiry into Ballymurphy not also mentioning that in the same announcement there was a refusal to hold an inquiry into the La Mon firebombing that killed 12 members of the Irish Collie Club in 1978?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Jawgap wrote: »
    How do you know they're not? (Or that they won't once the new inquests have been completed)

Are you privy to the HET's inner-workings?

And why is no one who is banging on about the refusal to hold an inquiry into Ballymurphy not also mentioning that in the same announcement there was a refusal to hold an inquiry into the La Mon firebombing that killed 12 members of the Irish Collie Club in 1978?

We'll start here.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/villiers-rejects-call-for-ballymurphy-inquiry-1.1777518

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

In the news today looking for money for British families that were affected by the ira..... what about money for the lrish who were affected... what about the mother who had her two teenage sons 16 & 22 riddled by the SAS in 1985 in strabane

ellavin wrote: »
    In the news today looking for money for British families that were affected by the ira..... what about money for the lrish who were affected... what about the mother who had her two teenage sons 16 & 22 riddled by the SAS in 1985 in strabane

At least there is a few who will never let things be sweptd under the carpet.

Its not much but It's something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭theKillerBite

ellavin wrote: »

Firstly 22 is not a teenager. Secondly they were in the IRA, returning weapons to a arms dump. Thirdly the family was given money.

Firstly 22 is not a teenager. Secondly they were in the IRA, returning weapons to a arms dump.

Suppose it's a good enough reason to Shoot them dead, no jury or judge, something people here are trying to get across about Jean mcoville.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

It was under thatchers "shoot to kill policy .. I wasn't aware they were given money thanks for your great knowledge on that! But am sure there's more!
    Firstly 22 is not a teenager. Secondly they were in the IRA, returning weapons to a arms dump. Thirdly the family was given money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Suppose it's a good enough reason to Shoot them dead, no jury or judge, something people here are trying to get across about Jean mcoville.

Was jean mcconville working for a terrorist group ?,

Was she armed ? ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,193 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Gatling wrote: »

Yes, she was working for the British Army

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Do you think they would wait to be certain before they would act? Personally I think a little more than suspicion would be enough for them.

But it doesn't matter. The original point was that a colleague of some one in a guerrilla army would know that this colleague was there, they could be far less certain about who was in the ranks opposing them. Hence the argument that the testimony to one is as credible as the testimony to the other is flawed.

Turn it the other way for a minute here, if a soldier in the British army was being tried (a rare thing I know) how much credence would be given to the an accusatory testimony given by somebody who had deserted from that army?

That is the value of the Boston tapes, that is why GA is in custody for so long, because the tapes (being hearsay from sources hostile to the peace process and GA) are not enough. A decent defence counsel would make mince of them.
    In fact, if Adams is released without charge then Moloney and McIntyre have unwittingly done him and Sinn Fein a great service.

Was she armed ? ,

Yes.

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

I'm curious about the posters who want all combatants of the troubles to be pursued and jailed if guilty, such as Adams in this alleged case.

I'm assuming that you are part of the 5.6% who voted No to the Good Friday Agreement in 1998? As it was simple words, yes or no to the GFA, there wasn't an a la carte option.

Now I voted Yes myself, main reason being maintaining the ceasefires and moving on. Obviously the prisoner releases and amnesty was essential to both sides to agree to it. Also, if the North is happy with it, that's enough for me.

However I do appreciate that as all parties in the republic advocated a yes vote, some of the No side may have felt somewhat without a voice.
    also I remember there was a strong tide of emotion at the time, so a no vote was almost seen as No to Peace, and you were seen as either extremist republican or extremist unionist.

So are you guys people who voted Yes in 1998 but have since changed your minds on it, and regret that you didn't vote No? Or have always been opponents of the GFA ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

The PSNI only have until 8pm tonight to either charge or release Gerry Adams. Reportedly, the majority of questioning relates to IRA membership..... So says Sky News anyway! How long have they held him now?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Funny how British soldiers are "legitimate targets" but IRA volunteers are not.

And then they have the gaul to say it was war..

Sunday World take on it

Capturedgfhde.jpg

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Of course they were, the 'gaul' is about the double standards

I'm curious about the posters who want all combatants of the troubles to be pursued and jailed if guilty, such as Adams in this alleged case.

I'm assuming that you are part of the 5.6% who voted No to the Good Friday Agreement in 1998? As it was simple words, yes or no to the GFA, there wasn't an a la carte option.

Now I voted Yes myself, main reason being maintaining the ceasefires and moving on. Obviously the prisoner releases and amnesty was essential to both sides to agree to it. Also, if the North is happy with it, that's enough for me.
    However I do appreciate that as all parties in the republic advocated a yes vote, some of the No side may have felt somewhat without a voice.
    also I remember there was a strong tide of emotion at the time, so a no vote was almost seen as No to Peace, and you were seen as either extremist republican or extremist unionist.

So are you guys people who voted Yes in 1998 but have since changed your minds on it, and regret that you didn't vote No!

And they maintain its not political policing.

• Advertisement

So are you guys people who voted Yes in 1998 but have since changed your minds on it, and regret that you didn't vote No!
    you're assuming too much I was a child in 98.

Sunday World take on it

Capturedgfhde.jpg

Sensationalism at its best !

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Yes, she was working for the British Army
    Yes.

No.

Proof please ,please ,please provide some real proof of this,

Links variable genuine links ,

Something ,

Because you's have posted some stupid ****

Speaking of Strabane how many people did the IRA shoot exactly while on the subject

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

you're assuming too much I was a child in 98.

That explains a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

NipNip wrote: »
    The PSNI only have until 8pm tonight to either charge or release Gerry Adams. Reportedly, the majority of questioning relates to IRA membership..... So says Sky News anyway! How long have they held him now?

IRA membership?

I would say a huge chunk of Catholics up North were either IRA members or supported them at some stage through donations or fund raising.

If they are going down this road they are opening a massive can of worms for Northern Ireland in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Well done for not understanding the difference between an inquiry and an investigation.

Of course, if you read the actual statement issued (rather than the media reports), you'd have found this.....
    In November 2011, the Attorney General for Northern Ireland opened fresh inquests into 10 deaths that occurred in Ballymurphy. An additional review would cut across this ongoing legal process.

oh, and this.....
    Should those inquests reveal clear indications of criminal activity, it would be a matter for the PSNI and independent prosecuting authorities to judge whether prosecutions should be pursued.

In the case of the La Mon firebombing the families calls for a Da Silva review were rejected - surely if SF are interested in justice being done and being seen to be done, they'd be supporting calls for this incident to be inquired into (as well as the Ballymurphy one)?

We should shoot dead anyone suspected of been in the Ira so.

Of course they were, the 'gaul' is about the double standards

British soldiers are legitimate targets but IRA volunteers are not? Clearly double standards.
    We should shoot dead anyone suspected of been in the Ira so.

Locking them up would suffice.

Proof please ,please ,please provide some real proof of this,

Links variable genuine links ,

Something ,

Because you's have posted some stupid ****

Here is a link to the internet in 1972

http://history-computer.com/ModernComputer/Software/images/Dennis-Ritchie-Ken-Thompson-and-PDP11-UNIX-1972.jpg

• Advertisement

British soldiers are legitimate targets but IRA volunteers are not? Clearly double standards.

Both were legitimate targets. The double standard is applying the law to one and not the other

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement