Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

DubVelo wrote: »
    If she was entirely white as snow, why were the BA spreading misinformation about her disappearance? Something fairly murky about that.

Did they also say abducted because for peddling drugs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

wazky wrote: »
    Do you really need an explanation to that one?, the American government would be undermining one of their closest allies.

The Yanks never listed the IRA as terrorist organisation (FTO) - they did, however, list the CIRA and RIRA - but none of the other varieties.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Haven't really followed this but just heard he's gonna be charged, This common knowledge already?

Charge him with what?

The problem with that is that all your neighbours have to want the same thing, if one group doesn't want to live in peaceful co-existence the only option is to fight back against them whether you want to or not.

Hmmmm, I think Ghandi and MLK proved otherwise, as did the likes of Hume, Williams and Maguire......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Charge him with what?

I have no idea as i said dunno too much about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

looks like he will be released and a file sent to the DPP... aka no charges but there will be "file sent" limbo for the whole election.
    what a farce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

How much longer can he be held without charge? I know they got an extension. Is the deadline tonight?

How much longer can he be held without charge? I know they got an extension. Is the deadline tonight?
    8pm tonight unless they go back to court again, no word on them going to court though so he'll be out tonight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

8pm

RTE reporting No charges and file going to CPS.
    Those pesky flimsy Tapes! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

Jawgap wrote: »
    Hmmmm, I think Ghandi and MLK proved otherwise

They were both shot dead.

Happyman42 wrote: »

Text of file:

"We gat nufin!"

The file being sent is a face saving exercise. They spent much of the interrogation asking Adams about what he wrote in his books, nothing to do with McConville.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

9m Gerry Adams to be released from custody this evening with file to be sent to Public Prosecution Service

They were both shot dead.

But their ideas weren't so easily disposed of....

Happyman42 wrote: »

CPS doesn't operate in NI.

It'll be the NIPPS.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭DubVelo

But their ideas weren't so easily disposed of....

Still didn't do them much good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

BBC saying he's been freed without charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

The time is approaching.

When he is released can we at least discuss what an absolute waste of time it was?

CPS doesn't operate in NI.

It'll be the NIPPS.

Cheers, couldn't think of the name.

Still didn't do them much good.

Yeah, in one case it just led to the largest democracy in the world being set up and in the other to someone being voted into the most powerful office in the world - I suppose that's failure in some people's eyes

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

From Gerry's blog:

Friday, March 28, 2014 Boston Oral History Project a Sham The latest twist in the Boston Oral History project occurred last week when former republican activist Ivor Bell, who has opposed the Sinn Féin leadership for over two decades, was arrested and subsequently charged in relation to the killing of Jean McConville. The PSNI claim that Bell was one of those who gave interviews to the Boston College Oral History project in which it is alleged that he talked of his part as an IRA activist. According to the media this is the basis for the charges levelled against him. Bell, through his lawyer denies any involvement in the death of Jean McConville. Media reports following this said that the PSNI are interested in speaking to me. There has been a persistent campaign by some elements of the media and by political opponents to try to link me to Jean McConville’s killing and secret burial by the IRA. I have said before and do so again that what happened to Jean McConville was a terrible injustice. I was not involved in any part of it. I instructed my solicitor to contact the PSNI and to make it clear to them that I am available to meet at any time on this issue. The basis of these allegations have been the false accusations and spurious claims of a small number of embittered former republican activists who are hostile to the Sinn Féin peace strategy, to the Sinn Féin leadership and to me in particular. All are avowed opponents of the peace process. They believe the IRA was wrong to call its cessations and to take the initiatives for peace that it did. These people have campaigned against the Good Friday Agreement and want it destroyed. Until recently many argued for a return to war. They have gone to great lengths to attack the republican struggle, the peace process and the political process through lies, distortions and personal attacks. It is precisely because of their opposition to Sinn Féin that these individuals were deliberately selected by those who ran the Boston Oral History Project. It is no co-incidence that those the project spoke to are all oppositional voices. This project was flawed and biased from the outset. It was an entirely bogus, shoddy and self-serving effort. It was not a genuine or serious or ethically based history project. The idea for it originated with Paul Bew, an advisor to David Trimble, and was taken up by Ed Moloney and Anthony McIntyre who conducted the interviews. Both men are relentless and vitriolic critics and opponents of the Sinn Féin leadership and peace strategy and of me. McIntyre has availed of every opportunity to ridicule Sinn Féin and has accused us of having sold out. The title of his book is ‘Good Friday - The Death of Irish Republicanism’. Moloney has been equally venomous in his comments. In his antagonism toward Sinn Féin he has even accused other journalists of failing to challenge and confront us. Moloney’s criticism of how others report the political situation does not extend to his own failings. He and McIntyre told those they interviewed that the tapes would not be released until after their deaths. It was a promise they could not keep and they knew it. It is also reported that the interviewees spoke at length about their time as IRA volunteers. Some went further by naming other republican activists. Of course, there is also no guarantee that the interviewees told the truth. All are disgruntled former activists who may have hoped, like Brendan Hughes, that their words from beyond the grave would damage Sinn Féin. This was acknowledged by historian Professor Thomas Hachey from Boston College who in March 2010 told the News Letter; ‘It's a catharsis for some of them when they've suffered so much...I'd like to think in most cases they were motivated by wanting to tell their story but some of them it was probably to settle old scores and they would give a very jaundiced account.’ Nor is it just Irish republicans who have been critical of Moloney and McIntyre. According to political commentator and writer Roy Greenslade some US academics have described the Boston college debacle as “at best, naive and, at worst, manipulative, to give interviewees a guarantee of confidentiality.” The issue of the past does need to be dealt with. Sinn Féin is committed to doing this. We want to bring closure to victims and their families. That is why we have argued for an independent, international, truth recovery process. However, if this cannot be agreed then we are seeking the implementation of the Haass compromise proposals. These include the right of families to choose whether to pursue legal action or to seek maximum truth recovery. The Boston Oral History Project was never about achieving any of this. It was a politically contrived project with a clear anti Sinn Féin political agenda. - See more at: http://www.leargas.blogspot.ie/#sthash.ztVjUdy1.dpuf

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭twowheelsgood

realies wrote: »
    Nor did the 1916 men and women, but you can bet your last euro that the majority of the people of this Island will commemorate/celebrate them all in 2016.
    True. And there are people in Britain who commemorate Oliver Cromwell and no doubt many other like him, whose conduct in their time was shall we say, less than beyond reproach.

So could it be argued that Cromwell (or anyone else) did X, Y or Z in their time and are still commemorated so there is no basis to argue that it would be wrong to do X, Y or Z today?

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-27278039

As I said earlier, all Moloney, McIntyre and the PSNI have succeeded in doing is achieving the exact opposite of what they tried to achieve. Karma.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Not forgetting a mother of 8 children who was shot dead, where's the outcry for justice?

Taoiseach Enda Kenny expressed ‘disappointment’ at Northern Secretary Theresa Villiers decision to reject a call for the creation of an independent panel to investigate the Ballymurphy killings in west Belfast in 1971 which resulted in 11 deaths.

A mother of eight children was among those shot dead by British Army Paratroopers.

Expressing 'disappointment' is hardly what is required from the Irish Taoiseach. This is the fundamental reason why Sinn Fein garners so much support from northern Nationalists. When it comes to campaigning for victims of British State murder, southern parties have always remained silent. It is this very silence that will lead to their downfall since neither the southern nor northern justice systems can ever accommodate for nationalist victims of the troubles.
    Martin McGuinness tried to mention the Ballymurphy killings on RTE's This Week earlier but was abruptly cut off in mid sentence by Richard Crowley and accused of "whataboutery" I wonder what the McConville family would think if their mother's killing was dismissed as "whataboutery"

I can see Gerry writing a book about this. ;)

Yes - and apparently Michael Fassbender will play him in the film!

BBC: Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams will be released without charge

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-27278039

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

bumper234 wrote: »
    And the American government branded the IRA as terrorists, what's your point?

And a large proportion of the world brand the British army as terrorists. The point is it's a matter of terms. There is no moral difference between a regular bomber or a stealth bomber. Both kill innocent people for political gain. All wars/conflicts struggles are horrible it's just a matter the justification for it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

And a pointless political exercise comes to an end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Poor Ivor stitched up then ,

Or have we not heard the last of this ???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement