Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

RobertKK wrote: »
    Wrong being released with a file going to the public prosecution service.

That is being accurate, being released without charge is not accurate.

Just quit while you're behind
    Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams will be released from police custody without charge after being held over a 1972 murder and a file will be sent to the Public Prosecution Service, the BBC has learned

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-27278039

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Is he being released? Yes.

Has he been charged? No.

Is he therefore currently being released without charge? Er, obviously, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Seaneh wrote: »
    Is he being released? Yes.

Has he been charged? No.

Is he therefore currently being released without charge? Er, obviously, yes.

That doesn't mean without charge, one can put blinkers on and not see a file is being sent to the public prosecution service which means a threat of charges hang over Gerry Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Good Lord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

And he is free.
    PSNI ‏@PoliceServiceNI 3m
    65 year old man arrested by Detectives investigating the abduction and murder of Jean McConville has been released pending report to PPS

• Advertisement

That doesn't mean without charge...

It means exactly that.

That doesn't mean without charge, one can put blinkers on and not see a file is being sent to the public prosecution service which means a threat of charges hang over Gerry Adams.

I suspect if they had enough evidence to charge him, they would have done it already. They wouldn't be saying that they're releasing him "without charge".

I suspect if they had enough evidence to charge him, they would have done it already. They wouldn't be saying that they're releasing him "without charge".

Exactly...press conference later tonight, that will be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

He must have sung like a canary.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Exactly...press conference later tonight, that will be interesting.

Gerry will say he was never in the IRA, which everyone believes, right?

• Advertisement

Have to laugh at all the loyalists down there protesting at the police station. Like they give a fcuk about what happened to Jean McConville.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

And he is free.

Praise da lord!

In all fairness, it means without charge. He may later be arrested again and charged (although hiiighly unlikely), but that nevertheless means as of now, without charge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

They were never going to charge him with the woman's murder......the case is complicated and historic, therefore it's only natural for it to be referred to the PPS for direction / consideration. They'll decide whether a prosecution is laid and who it is laid against, based on the usual two tests - evidence & public interest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭William F

My opinion on the man wouldn't change if he was.

That's for those making the accusation to prove, he can no more prove he wasn't in the IRA than I can prove that unicorns don't exist.

Either those who claim he was prove it and he is tried for it, or people need to just drop it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,763 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

if he has not been charged, and is being released, what else could it mean:confused: a charge may yet come, but clearly if there was enough evidence he would have been charged by now. i get you don't like him, but why engage in futile semantics?

Well if the PSNI and the British don't have evidence enough to charge him, what can I say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

When this is over, who will be the first to start the next anti Sinn Fein thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Of course! ( Nodding & Smiling )

Well if the PSNI and the British don't have evidence enough to charge him, what can I say?

Well, you could wink and nudge.

• Advertisement

When this is over, who will be the first to start the next anti Sinn Fein thread.

But this is not an anti Sinn Fein thread!

( breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Of course he will say that, he is hardly going to incriminate himself and get 5 years in prison!:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

if he has not been charged, and is being released, what else could it mean:confused: a charge may yet come, but clearly if there was enough evidence he would have been charged by now. i get you don't like him, but why engage in futile semantics?

Not necessarily - for some offences, conspiracy would be a good example, there is a strong 'mental' element. That needs a thorough review before a decision to proceed can be made - which means the senior bods in the PPS will want to have a long hard look at what they have (and don't have) before deciding to proceed.

In fact, if I was a betting man the police were probably under instructions not to charge him from the outset. They were probably told just to interview him.

William F wrote: »
    My opinion on the man wouldn't change if he was.

Well most people believe he was in the IRA, and we know from Martin McGuinness that isn't a problem now.
    The problem for Gerry though is he tells the electorate he wasn't, and most people believe he was.
    Most people find it hard to trust someone they believe is telling them lies.

Of course he will say that, he is hardly going to incriminate himself and get 5 years in prison!:confused:

Wait, tell the truth? Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Wait, tell the truth? Jaysus.

If it is the truth you want, offer immunity then

But would people expect Gerry Adams to tell the truth so he would get charged?

If it is the truth you want, offer immunity then

Offer Adams immunity? Why? Are you serious?

Jawgap wrote: »
    Not necessarily - for some offences, conspiracy would be a good example, there is a strong 'mental' element. That needs a thorough review before a decision to proceed can be made - which means the senior bods in the PPS will want to have a long hard look at what they have (and don't have) before deciding to proceed.

In fact, if I was a betting man the police were probably under instructions not to charge him from the outset. They were probably told just to interview him.

Like in the Guardian where they have an article about the choice of justice or peace, and in places where there was war, we can't have both justice and peace.
    http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/may/02/gerry-adams-jean-mcconville-south-africa-painful-compromise

Sinn Fein weren't long in changing their tune about the PSNI when it didn't suit them.

I don't think Adams will be charged as there are so many from all sides including the state who have avoided prosecution for crimes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But would people expect Gerry Adams to tell the truth so he would get charged?

Highly doubt he or others will ever tell the truth ,

People who live a lie for so long end up believing the lie

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement