Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Why don't you elaborate...

Its true that the media never mention that at least one of her kids was in the IRA (and jailed when his mother was killed). The story for years, which was obviously a lie, was that she was killed for comforting a dying British soldier. Or its also said she was killed for being a protestant (she married a catholic, was burned out of her home in a unionist area and moved to Divis and converted to catholicism). This is the type of myth building I'm on about -its not justified, what we should deal with is fact.

Her son was in the OIRA, not the PIRA, she was also married to an ex British soldier who died earlier the same year. The family lived in temporary accommodation and only moved in to the Divis flats a few days before her murder.

The review by the ombudsmen found no evidence she was passing information on to the British army.

Those are the facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

Her son was in the OIRA, not the PIRA, she was also married to an ex British soldier who died earlier the same year. The family lived in temporary accommodation and only moved in to the Divis flats a few days before her murder.

The review by the ombudsmen found no evidence she was passing information on to the British army.

Those are the facts.

The ombudsmen?

Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The ombudsmen?

Please.

Who needs an Ombudsman when you've got a grapevine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

a grapevine that is bugged , apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭.jacksparrow.

I suppose the track record for the truth been told in the wars through the years is unblemished alright.

Birmingham, Guildford, who needs an ombudsman when you've got Grapevine is true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

dj jarvis wrote: »
    a grapevine that is bugged , apparently

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

About time they picked him up.

Dodgy as a three bob note but people forgot because him and the rest of his ex-terrorist buddies got all riled up about austerity or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Is that kosher legally with the PSNI arresting a TD?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Jake Rugby Walrus666

The ombudsman also found that 'Jean' is a stupid name.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Dear medics of AH, is their any known cure for the overdose of whataboutery I've endured reading this thread?

I'm afraid not, I'm also afraid to say there's no cure either for hypocrisy. Finger pointing is a fools game, especially when those doing the finger pointing can conveniently overlook state murder, collusion, violence and brutality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

well if you play like that the british haven't a great record when it comes to courts....

Neither do the Adams's, I wonder if this one can flee south...

Just saying like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

MadsL wrote: »
    Justifying it then. "Collaborators will be shot" being your line. Really?

Ethel Rosenberg.

The US government executed a Ethel Rosenberg for collaborating with the Soviets leaving two children without a Mother and when they executed Julius Rosenberg they orphaned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Ethel Rosenberg.

The US government executed a Ethel Rosenberg for collaborating with the Soviets leaving two children without a Mother and when they executed Julius Rosenberg they orphaned them.

and that makes it ok how?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

hmmm.....this could backfire, the electorate are not morons (well, a lot of them aren't anyway). This could actually raise Sinn Fein's vote - I'd like to think so anyway, people don't like being railroaded by the establishment at election time into voting this way or that (and the police aren't exactly flavour of the month, in terms of trust and integrity in the Republic anyway and I'm sure the PSNI will be viewed similarily)

Karl Stein wrote: »
    Ethel Rosenberg.

So your wrong (your stated execution story) plus the IRA'a wrong still don't add up to any of it being Right, come back to us when you actually have a point. Thanks.

donfers wrote: »
    hmmm.....this could backfire, the electorate are not morons (well, a lot of them aren't anyway). This could actually raise Sinn Fein's vote - I'd like to think so anyway, people don't like being railroaded by the establishment at election time into voting this way or that (and the police aren't exactly flavour of the month, in terms of trust and integrity in the Republic anyway and I'm sure the PSNI will be viewed similarily)

But the murdering terrorists won't be viewed similarly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

The Aussie wrote: »

Just saying like.
    did he not turn up to police ststion make himself available for questioning??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

P_1 wrote: »

Yes

Just saying like.

Nope extradition far too well established between us and the North, I lived in Portlaoise near the prison during the 1980s extradition protests, they still went ahead with the extraditions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Obviously yes!. TDs don't have immunity from arrest in the (Republic of) Ireland, let alone anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes, TDs don't automatically have diplomatic immunity. It's "complicated" but that's about it. I also understand that Gerry is a citizen of the UK so that makes it much less complicated.

If Gerry had been in the Republic, he could have claimed he was on his way to Leinster House and he'd be free from arrest, but the North is a different country so he can be arrested as required.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 38 Troy Lumberjack

So your wrong (your stated execution story) plus the IRA'a wrong still don't add up to any of it being Right, come back to us when you actually have a point. Thanks.

Since when is having a valid point compulsory?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

But the murdering terrorists won't be viewed similarly?

People like you who describe them in those terms were never likely to vote for them anyway, Sinn Fein are targeting a younger more liberal and progressive-minded electorate, they're just going to grow and grow - that's the reality, some people like living in the past and are consumed by their own bitterness (and that's understandable) but others are trying to find a way forward - this will not hurt Sinn Fein, those who hate them will always hate them but because of the state of the other parties in Ireland and the lack of viable alternatives to establishment politics, Sinn Fein is going to reap the rewards of this disillusion unless a new party comes along pronto

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Well they have to pin it on someone.

or try to.

Shame they've FA reliable evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

seamus wrote: »
    Yes, TDs don't automatically have diplomatic immunity. It's "complicated" but that's about it. I also understand that Gerry is a citizen of the UK so that makes it much less complicated.

If Gerry had been in the Republic, he could have claimed he was on his way to Leinster House and he'd be free from arrest, but the North is a different country so he can be arrested as required.
    You do know that he got his lawyer to talk to them ages ago to see if they wanted to talk to him and that Adams willingly went to the PSNI station this evening?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

People like you who describe them in those terms were never likely to vote for them anyway, Sinn Fein are targeting a younger more liberal and progressive-minded electorate, they're just going to grow and grow - that's the reality, some people like living in the past and are consumed by their own bitterness (and that's understandable) but others are trying to find a way forward - this will not hurt Sinn Fein, those who hate them will always hate them but because of the state of the other parties in Ireland and the lack of viable alternatives to establishment politics, Sinn Fein is going to reap the rewards of this disillusion unless a new party comes along pronto

Have you ever looked at voting by demographic?

The young vote are least likely to actually vote.

It will be at least twenty years before SF become challengers here imo

Stheno wrote: »

Nope extradition far too well established between us and the North, I lived in Portlaoise near the prison during the 1980s extradition protests, they still went ahead with the extraditions

My remark about Gerry Adams fleeing South was in reference about his convicted kiddy fiddling brother hiding in the South trying to avoid justice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

dj jarvis wrote: »
    and that makes it ok how?

Did I say it was okay?
    So your wrong (your stated execution story)

What? Try to make sense.
    plus the IRA'a wrong still don't add up to any of it being Right,

Did I say it was okay?
    come back to us when you actually have a point.

That post was mean't for neither of you. Are you guys Madsl's little helpers or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Is it just me that sees the irony in this?

• Advertisement

"Everyone else is a bit crap, let's vote for literal murderers :pac:"

I'm plenty liberal but i'm not voting for economically illiterate terrorists just to make some sort of idiotic protest.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement