Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Ava_e wrote: »
    To The people in track suit bottoms/baseball hats, holding the Union Jack (which is know around the world as the butchers apron) outside where Adams was released.

Could they not do something they excel at, like watching X Factor, getting drunk and hating anyone who is a Catholic

15 second film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

He was released and a file was passed to the PPS. Whether he is charged or not is up to them.

Does this make it easier for him to sue for defamation? I don’t think so.

I v much doubt that he will. There's been nothing to stop him before now. His chum Mr ‘Slab’ Murphy tried it a few years back. Didn’t work out too well for him.

In fact, I think the chance of Adams voluntarily putting himself in a civil court, which works on a balance of probabilities, unlike a criminal court, where proof beyond a reasonable doubt is needed, is zero.

Pity. I would love to see it.

And no, Miriam O'Callaghan and the rest of RTE will NOT be “****ting themselves”.

I am delighted with your post, thank you, I will be able to sleep tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,480 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If this was politically motivated it had backfired badly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Ava_e wrote: »
    To The people in track suit bottoms/baseball hats, holding the Union Jack (which is know around the world as the butchers apron) outside where Adams was released.

Could they not do something they excel at, like watching X Factor, getting drunk and hating anyone who is a Catholic

I have been all around the world and visited many countries, never heard it called that:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

bumper234 wrote: »
    I have been all around the world and visited many countries, never heard it called that:rolleyes:

Really?, you have got to be joking?

• Advertisement

http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2010/02/446556.html

Possibly you where in the wrong countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Where have you been, it is called that since the massacres in India.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,657 ✭✭✭CountyHurler

PRESS CONFERENCE LIVE ON RTE NEWS NOW...

The shinners are all cheering like they used to do when republicans were released from prison..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

Happyman42 wrote: »
    http://www.indymedia.org.uk/en/2010/02/446556.html

Possibly you where in the wrong countries.

Yeah i just googled it

Looking at the sites that refer to it as that then no wonder i have never heard it.

Oh look Mary Mary quite contrary is on tv :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

And to be completely anal about it.. Its the 'Union flag' and only the 'Union Jack' when its flown at sea!.

• Advertisement

You would have thought some of the Sinn Fein "Electronic Engineers" would have known how to prevent a bit of feedback...

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JohnInDublin59

The British view on Northern Ireland has changed significantly. They know well that the nationalist community will be the majority, soon, if not already. The plan to create an exclusive protestant state worked for a while but you cannot discriminate against one side forever and expect them not to rise up. NI is a very expensive troublesome district to the British.
    A few weeks ago we saw the Queen of England having dinner with the Irish, amhran na bhfiann playing at Windsor Castle with a tricolor flying outside. I sense the establishment are slowly preparing for the handing over of NI eventually. Within our lifetime certainly

This is from the BBC website, 5/2/13. I'm told ‘You cannot post with images, URLs or attachments because you are a new user.’

“A BBC Spotlight poll strongly indicates voters in Northern Ireland would reject a united Ireland in a border poll.

Even with the usual caveats attached to opinion polls, a 65% to 17% majority for Northern Ireland remaining in the UK suggests little room for doubt.”

“Not surprisingly, more than 90% of those who identify themselves as Protestants told the pollsters they wanted to stay in the UK.

But on the other side of the religious divide, a substantial 38% of Catholics also favoured remaining within the UK - three percentage points more than the number who backed a united Ireland.”

“As avowed believers in a united Ireland and the party running a border poll campaign, Sinn Fein might be surprised to learn that nearly a quarter of those who identified themselves as Sinn Fein voters - 23% - told the pollsters they would back the status quo in a border poll.”

I do have no doubt however that the rest of the UK would be only too delighted to get rid of NI.

It'd be interesting however to see exactly how keen people in the Republic would be.

As the old saying goes, ‘be careful what you wish for...’

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

Gerrys back folks, Now time for Sinn Fein to have a fantastic election

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

BBC News saying they cant understand what he is saying as he is talking in Gaelic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Yeah i just googled it

Looking at the sites that refer to it as that then no wonder i have never heard it.

Your various travels must of been to Santa Ponsa and Ibiza?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Been out most of the day, only getting home now, was a pure mare.

Headed out to Watch a GAA match, stopped in penneys on the way as I needed a new String vest. Anyway, got to the match, even though there was very little sun out today, my pure pasty skin got a right burning.

On the way home me old motor decided to break down, (in fairness it's a 03 model).

(and the dumbest post of the year goes to........)

Anyways, I believe Gerry was released without charge. Complete loss as to what the hell they expected to achieve from the whole fruitless exercise. I expect the Sinn Fein PR will spin this to their advantage and a complete reversal of what some dark forces hoped they'd achieve.

Justice has been done, onwards and upwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I think all the talk about political policing was bullcrap tbh. Came across as very petty and reactionary to me. I would have preferred if McGuinness and others had just kept their mouths shut until he was released. Failing to do so has given people the right to claim 'bully-boy' tactics were used.

Here are some interesting stats from an FoI request that someone made in 2011

http://www.psni.police.uk/het-2.pdf

Questions-
    Answers -

The charge still stands as it is not directed against the entire PSNI but against sections. There are clearly elements within the force that are stuck in the past. Can get comments to try to get a reaction on occasion. If this was not an element within the force with more spite than cause then what was it about.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Even some of the Scots in my work call it the Butchers Apron

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

The butthurt is strong in this one.

I imagine a certain group was very butthurt if they had to ban a word to stop them getting upset.
    I thought there was a warning about using Shinnerbots to describe someone of an opposing view.

Unfortunately I did not see it. But I wasn't referring to someone of an opposing view. I was referring to the Journal comment section in particular.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Ha go on gerry! Sinn fein all the way end of.
    BBC News saying they cant understand what he is saying as he is talking in Gaelic :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Gerry struggles with the gaeilge.

Yeah i just googled it

If you don't know why and how it came to be called that, I suggest you give yourself a period of research before getting involved in threads on this subject. Seriously...do yourself a favour.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

The charge still stands as it is not directed against the entire PSNI but against sections. There are clearly elements within the force that are stuck in the past. Can get comments to try to get a reaction on occasion. If this was not an element within the force with more spite than cause then what was it about.

Yeah, tbh I'm not denying that there are 'dark elements' within the PSNI, it's just the aggressive way that some people reacted to his arrest that irked me. Mary Lou really shouldn't have instantly come out and cried foul.

There has to be some sort of gulf between the old-hats and new bloods when it comes to defending or criticising past historical actions.. otherwise you can't really blame people for claiming that any side are refusing to move on. That goes for everyone though.. civil war politics on this part of the island should be a thing of the past, and few seem interested in making that a reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

This post has been deleted.

He wasn't in SingSing.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Gerry struggles with the gaeilge.

He struggles with English, its a condition called norn irish

• Registered Users Posts: 12,469 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Gerry is looking well considering his ordeal.

The knot on his tie is a bit small, Martin has a much nicer tie as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

This press conference is basically live on every news channel. If it was an effort to discredit him and SF I can't imagine how it could have gone any worse :pac:

Yeah, tbh I'm not denying that there are 'dark elements' within the PSNI, it's just the aggressive way that some people reacted to his arrest that irked me. Mary Lou really shouldn't have instantly come out and cried foul.

Yeah I thought it was a bit odd for the shinners to make such statements before waiting to see how the whole thing panned out.. Gerry is just after saying that the PSNI have his support, which sort of conflicts with what Mary Lou and McGuinness were saying..

Just looking at it there, you really would wonder how a middle class girl from the South Side of Dublin ended up at the head of Sinn Fein.. To believe that Gerry was not in the RA, she must be seriously naive or seriously lying to us all.

I thought they would have got Joe Duffy to MC this.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

Gerry needs a beard trim...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement