Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I thought Gerry Adams done very well in that press conference, he emphasised plenty of times that we will not be returning to the dark days

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

How do you know what they presented him with. If they had nothing then why dis a judge give additional time? Was he a former RUC man too?

justice in the occupied counties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

How do you know what they presented him with. If they had nothing then why dis a judge give additional time? Was he a former RUC man too?

Adams just detailed what they presented him with. If he confessed, or they have more, he'd be setting himself up to look a bit foolish in the next wee while, perhaps even wreck an election campaign.

Face it, it was a stunt, they could have arrested him at any time on the basis of that information.
    I think you'll be seeing a few quiet resignations in the PSNI in the near future,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

What did the woman say?

A child asked him if he was ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Will this 'joke' ever cease to be 'funny' in the mind of a fcuktard?

It always makes me smile, no matter how often I hear it. Perhaps you're "browned off" at this stage

• Advertisement

A child asked him if he was ok

Wait'll hear them...'SETUP, Child was at gunpoint!' :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ffs. You don't get charged immediately. File gone to DPP for consideration so he could yet be charged.
    Think it's unlikely due to time that has passed and weak evidence but that dies not point to a botched job.

This is the damaging bit for SF - that I don't think their supporters are accepting.
    As of now SF is being led by a person who the CPS are actively considering charging with murder. That's got to do some electoral damage.

If this was to happen to any other party leader there would be irresistible calls for them to step aside.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

oldyouth wrote: »
    It always makes me smile

You should read the second part of Banjos post carefully there for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

oldyouth wrote: »
    It always makes me smile, no matter how often I hear it. Perhaps you're "browned off" at this stage

Keep reaching for the stars there champ. That pun was genius. No one has even thought of it before your masterful mind either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Phoebas wrote: »
    This is the damaging bit for SF - that I don't think their supporters are accepting.
    As of now SF is being led by a person who the CPS are actively considering charging with murder. That's got to do some electoral damage.

If this was to happen to any other party leader there would be irresistible calls for them to step aside.

....if any other party leader was involved in the armed struggle, I'd have somebody to give a transfer to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The knot on his tie is a bit small, Martin has a much nicer tie as well.

gerry prefers to tie a good tight knot, years of experience as an activist :pac:

IMO you should keep up with the news before posting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Adams just detailed what they presented him with. If he confessed, or they have more, he'd be setting himself up to look a bit foolish in the next wee while, perhaps even wreck an election campaign.

Face it, it was a stunt, they could have arrested him at any time on the basis of that information.
    I think you'll be seeing a few quiet resignations in the PSNI in the near future,

Yes I'm sure he was completely honest and upfront as he has always been in relation to things like membership of the IRA and murders of civilians.

Taking the long view here, but if no charges accrue(which they won't) then obstacles to voting for him will be removed for good.

Which makes me think this was orchestrated by the British to ensure GA gets into power in the South too. That will hasten the day when they can the f*** outta dodge. Cause they are very much in it at the minute.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

murpho999 wrote: »
    Ffs. You don't get charged immediately. File gone to DPP for consideration so he could yet be charged.

People are regularly charged before any file is prepared for the public prosecutor... if there's enough evidence, like =/

Police in this case had 42 years worth of evidence and obviously still not enough to charge him with anything.

Yes I'm sure he was completely honest and upfront as he has always been in relation to things like membership of the IRA and murders of civilians.

:D:D My answer to that used to be...'if he's guilty and you have the evidence, charge him'. ;)

Nodin wrote: »
    ....if any other party leader was involved in the armed struggle, I'd have somebody to give a transfer to.

Ah yeah - but you're already a supporter.
    I'm talking about the wider electorate - potential new supporters, who will be put off by this reminder of the past and the current limbo we're now in while the CPS are considering a prosecution for murder.

IMO you should keep up with the news before posting.

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

What's the story with the tapes anyway? I can't imagine it's going down too well in the US that academic files can be lifted out of their universities to be used by a foreign police force?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Like him or loathe him, he's one of the most competent politicians and negotiators internationally never mind ireland. Its a tragic pity we have clowns like cowen and enda etc. licking arses rather than fighting for this country's future.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

I imagine a certain group was very butthurt if they had to ban a word to stop them getting upset.

I had nothing to do with any of that.

Im innocent of this politically motivated charge against me. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm talking about the wider electorate - potential new supporters, who will be put off by this reminder of the past and the current limbo we're now in while the CPS are considering a prosecution for murder.

It's best to look at the long term. Short term, I doubt anyone who even dreams of voting SF is going to base a change of mind on what the CPS does.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Haven't really followed this but just heard he's gonna be charged, This common knowledge already?

Yes. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

What's the story with the tapes anyway? I can't imagine it's going down too well in the US that academic files can be lifted out of their universities to be used by a foreign police force?

Their courts seemed okay with it. Lots of academics are saying that it has destroyed reputations and trust within their circles. Not many are going to speak candidly about the past when foreign bodies can demand for stuff to be handed over for such purposes.

On your day to day do your own poll, ask someone next to you in a bus train chipper or restaurant, what their views might be, I can tell you, you will be fookin shocked. I do that sort of thing.

Taking the long view here, but if no charges accrue(which they won't) then obstacles to voting for him will be removed for good.
    I agree with that to some extent. If the CPS (is it still called the CPS?) decide not to charge him, it takes one millstone from around his neck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Which makes me think this was orchestrated by the British to ensure GA gets into power in the South too. That will hasten the day when they can the f*** outta dodge. Cause they are very much in it at the minute.:D

there are people out there if GA was revealed to be the toothfairy wont vote for him
    SF shouldn't waste time chasing these people...embittered by the troubles but actual unionists and loyalists who should have most issue, can work with SF !!!!

Like him or loathe him, he's one of the most competent politicians and negotiators internationally never mind ireland. Its a tragic pity we have clowns like cowen and enda etc. licking arses rather than fighting for this country's future.

His shady past aside he is one of the most articulate and competent politicians there is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

His shady past aside he is one of the most articulate and competent politicians there is.

can you imagine enda Kenny giving press conference like that

• Advertisement

can you imagine enda Kenny giving press conference like that

I'm already banned from the soccer forum for 2 weeks for a comment I posted about Jose Mourinho.

I'll keep my opinion on Inda Kinny to myself thank you very much.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement