Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I disagree. As far as Press Conferences go today's was a big success for them and are going to hit the ground running after this. Adams made a mockery of the whole detention and Judicial process, coupled with the images of the Flag nut jobs still clinging on to the past, he put firmly himself as the only person looking forward to the future.
    We see this again and again - the supporters see what they want to see.

It'll be interesting to see the opinion polls next weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

I disagree. As far as Press Conferences go today's was a big success for them and are going to hit the ground running after this. Adams made a mockery of the whole detention and Judicial process, coupled with the images of the Flag nut jobs still clinging on to the past, he put firmly himself as the only person looking forward to the future.

The future may well be him stepping aside, enjoying retirement, and letting the Peoples Princess take over

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Phoebas wrote: »
    We see this again and again - the supporters see what they want to see.

It'll be interesting to see the opinion polls next weekend.

what did you see in the press comference so?
    a man glad to be out...but fully aware that it still hangs over his head til the cps decides is what I saw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

The people who hate him and SF will hate them more.

The people who love him and SF will love them more.

The status quo is maintained.

I never hated him and would still never vote for him but i can honestly say that after tonight he has gained my respect. No wonder Enda Kenny is afraid to debate with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I'd be pretty shocked if some weirdo asked me my political views on the train.

You should try and get out more and talk to people. It will help you to broaden your mind, you do need to that going by your posts. People are not bad if you get to know them, try it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

Jarry says they haven't gone away you know . . . . . .

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Gerry Adams, also successful author and spokesperson.

It's a shame his party takes his money and leaves him to get a dig out from a millionaire. And not able to keep up his mortgage repayments on his second home. Maybe the book sales have dried up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

bumper234 wrote: »
    I never hated him and would still never vote for him but i can honestly say that after tonight he has gained my respect. No wonder Enda Kenny is afraid to debate with him.
    I would +1 this, I've never been a fan of Gerry or his past but I thought he came across well tonight. Very coherent and intelligent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭ryan101

bumper234 wrote: »
    No wonder Enda Kenny is afraid to debate with him.

Enda is not capable of debating with anyone, least of all Jarry.
    Enda's speciality is snide hit and run remarks from the side.

It's a shame his party takes his money and leaves him to get a dig out from a millionaire. And not able to keep up his mortgage repayments on his second home. Maybe the book sales have dried up a bit.

bitterness will eventually drive you mad :D

• Advertisement

If police have enough evidence to charge a person then they will do so. They have 42 years worth of evidence in Adams' case.. and it still wasn't enough to convince them that it's worth pursuing. Them's the facts.
    To be fair, its not really possible to say with any degree of confidence how the PSNI came to the decision not to charge him, but to refer the case on to the CPS.
    This is a pretty unusual set of circumstances and I wouldn't bet on any particular outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If this was another TD who has two houses on the average industrial wage and who got his medical treatement in America paid for by a millionaire people would be asking hard questions instead of fawning over him.

We should be fawning over joanie and her inspired strategy of promising there'll be no more cuts now that labour are in for an electoral kicking

But then people will say, is'nt that what labour do in an election? :)

Such leadership, such genius.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    I would +1 this, I've never been a fan of Gerry or his past but I thought he came across well tonight. Very coherent and intelligent.

Intelligent indeed, he has been codding his supporters for years..

Everyone else can see through him.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Sinn fein has done so much for our county, they really do listen to the people and deliver! ! More than any other goon... my vote for them is always secured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Bambi wrote: »
    We should be fawning over joanie and her inspired strategy of promising there'll be no more cuts now that labour are in for an electoral kicking

But then people will say, is'nt that what labour do in an election? :)

Such leadership, such genius.

Christ. I voted for Labour in the last election. Could never vote for them again. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

He should of asked his other compadre, Dundalk TD Peter for an auld dig out Paddy. ;)

Never hear of him from one end of the year to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

The future may well be him stepping aside, enjoying retirement, and letting the Peoples Princess take over

Not until after April 2016 imo, General Election time in the South. Him and Martin to step aside and make way for Mary Lou and Pearse Doherty.

I wonder who paid for the new teeth?

Intelligent indeed, he has been codding his supporters for years..

Everyone else can see through him.

it must hurt that his number of supporters is increasing:pac::pac:

or else people are fed up of politians who are openly corrupt and are willing to forgive what occurred during a war that is near on 20 years over and vote for a party that at least appers to care for the less well off

Not until after April 2016 imo, General Election time in the South. Him and Martin to step aside and make way for Mary Lou and Pearse Doherty.

Perhaps now is as good a time as any ? Out with the old , in with the new.

It is time for the old soldiers to stand down and enjoy their retirements.

Only then can Sinn Fein be seen as a Party with clean hands, seeking support from the electorate both now and in 2016.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭wendell borton

Its interesting that the head of the prosecution service was once Gerrys lawyer.

or else people are fed up of politians who are openly corrupt and are willing to forgive what occurred during a war that is near on 20 years over and vote for a party that at least appers to care for the less well off
    That's Gerry's crucial failing - he can't begin to seek forgiveness while he denies even his own membership of the IRA.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Its interesting that the head of the prosecution service was once Gerrys lawyer.

He passed the case on to someone else because of conflict of interest afaik.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

I believe it's been handed over to the Deputy in order to avoid a conflict of interest.

It was reported that he has excluded himself from involvement in the case to avoid any conflict of interest.

That's Gerry's crucial failing - he can't begin to seek forgiveness while he denies even his own membership of the IRA.

How do you know he is was a member :confused:

The man has been shadowed by British intelligence, army, RUC etc for near fifty years and they've never been able to charge him with membership.

Yet you know better?

How do you know he is was a member :confused:
    I think the emoticon you're after is this one: ;)

Or this: :pac:

it must hurt that his number of supporters is increasing:pac::pac:

So you don't think Gerry is corrupt?

So where are Sinn Fein going to get the additional money to care for the less well off ? The middle income group, high earners.????

Last time I saw anything from Sinn Fein on economic policy it looked pretty piss pot poor tbh!

They need to cast away the ghosts of the past only then can they stand any real chance of making progress.

so a truth commission would sort this out...as after being questioned for 4 days they seem to have emerged stronger and more determined

why would he voluntarily imcriminate himself:confused::confused:

I know of no one that doesn't believe he was in the ira
    many would vote sinn fein now...mainly due to the epic disaster that is the labour party in government...they will kick themselves in the longterm...they had chance to near permenant take over a lot of FF votes...but scrafised it to prop up fine gael and gain pension for themselves

they are a lot of very disappointed people who voted for them last time (me as well:o) who will never give them a vote again...

• Advertisement

I think the emoticon you're after is this one: ;)

Or this: :pac:

Seriously. I do not have a clue if he is, or ever was a member.

We can all guess, some of us will guess correctly, some wrongly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement