Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

They need to cast away the ghosts of the past only then can they stand any real chance of making progress.

Why should they "cast away the ghosts"? The party deem the armed struggle as having been nessecary.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

Perhaps now is as good a time as any ? Out with the old , in with the new.

It is time for the old soldiers to stand down and enjoy their retirements.

Only then can Sinn Fein be seen as a Party with clean hands, seeking support from the electorate both now and in 2016.

I always notice that the people who comes on to boards pushing for a change of Sinn Fein leadership are the same people who will never ever vote for them..

There's a good reason why Gerry Adams nearly always comes out top of every leader popularity poll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

So you don't think Gerry is corrupt?

So where are Sinn Fein going to get the additional money to care for the less well off ? The middle income group, high earners.????

Last time I saw anything from Sinn Fein on economic policy it looked pretty piss pot poor tbh!

They need to cast away the ghosts of the past only then can they stand any real chance of making progress.

last time I saw anything on SF economic policy was a budget which was costed and proven correct by dept of finance (as all opposition budgets are):rolleyes::rolleyes:

however I would rather them to represent Ireland in Europe than enda...or have the likes of pat rabbit laughing at electorate as soon as he gets into power

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

How do you know he is was a member :confused:

The man has been shadowed by British intelligence, army, RUC etc for near fifty years and they've never been able to charge him with membership.

Yet you know better?

Amazing the interrogators went back to when Gerry was 18 months old and worked their way up , using books , magazines , newspaper cuttings , and pieces of work that Gerry wrote himself .

Yet they could find nothing of substance

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

so a truth commission would sort this out...as after being questioned for 4 days they seem to have emerged stronger and more determined

why would he voluntarily imcriminate himself:confused::confused:

I know of no one that doesn't believe he was in the ira
    many would vote sinn fein now...mainly due to the epic disaster that is the labour party in government...they will kick themselves in the longterm...they had chance to near permenant take over a lot of FF votes...but scrafised it to prop up fine gael and gain pension for themselves

they are a lot of very disappointed people who voted for them last time (me as well:o) who will never give them a vote again...
    Personally I think it might be too late for a truth commission. I think SF will finally break through when their elder members are replaced - and there's no shortage of competent people to take over the leadership.

• Advertisement

Yet they could find nothing of substance
    How do you know what was in the file they sent to the CPS?

Phoebas wrote: »
    Personally I think it might be too late for a truth commission. I think SF will finally break through when their elder members are replaced - and there's no shortage of competent people to take over the leadership.

it is never too late for a truth commission...all family members of those killed deserve the truth and closure IMO

though the future leadership of SF deos look secure they have some serius talent coming through....FG will rue the day they kicked dat Creighton one out as she was a good and above average Politian and could have one day being taoiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

it is never too late for a truth commission...all family members of those killed deserve the truth and closure IMO

though the future leadership of SF deos look secure they have some serius talent coming through....FG will rue the day they kicked dat Creighton one out as she was a good and above average Politian and could have one day being taoiseach

Peter Fitzpatrick would make a better Taoiseach than her. She wasn't kicked out, she voted against the party line and was suspended. Same as your man Toibin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Any chance of a poll as to whether this episode will enhance support for SF or a drop in support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Have just watched Gerry Adams press conference.
    I have to say that in spite of all my misgivings and genuinely held dislike of the man, he was both impressive and sincere, he could have used this opportunity to be bitter and angry yet remained calm, continued to back the PSNI and remained committed to moving forward.
    I cannot in good conscience say that I was not both surprised and gladdened by his statesmanlike performance.
    I will not be voting SF but am considerably more open to listening to Mr Adams than I was before.
    Never let it be said that I am not open minded.

• Advertisement

Peter Fitzpatrick would make a better Taoiseach than her. She wasn't kicked out, she voted against the party line and was suspended. Same as your man Toibin.

should be pointed out im not in SF atal as have grave concerns about supporting the PSNI and several other issues...but they fall as close to my beliefs as any party
    they should have done everything possible to not suspend her IMO as she was more capable Politian and they are not exactly in adbundance in Ireland

True that.
    FG will rue the day they kicked dat Creighton one out as she was a good and above average Politian and could have one day being taoiseach
    She left of her own free will (if, in a parallel universe, she was a member of SF she would have left them too for similar reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I have to say that in spite of all my misgivings and genuinely held dislike of the man, he was both impressive and sincere, he could have used this opportunity to be bitter and angry yet remained calm, continued to back the PSNI and remained committed to moving forward.
    I cannot in good conscience say that I was not both surprised and gladdened by his statesmanlike performance.
    I will not be voting SF but am considerably more open to listening to Mr Adams than I was before.

I just saw a short clip. He said the IRA is gone, finished. Michael McConville doesn't seem to believe that.

So you will vote for one of the pixie heads that fooked the country. Fair play to open mindedness.

Phoebas wrote: »
    True that.

She left of her own free will (if, in a parallel universe, she was a member of SF she would have left them too for similar reasons).

if I was associated with FG and it was a choice between Enda and her...I know who id pick

I just saw a short clip. He said the IRA is gone, finished. Michael McConville doesn't seem to believe that.

I can understand the grief of the Mc Convilles.
    I was merely, as one who in this thread has been super critical of Mr Adams , admitting that having listening to his press conference I am more open to him than I was.
    Boards works on debate, but debate only works if opposing sides are open to hearing what others are saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Nodin wrote: »
    Why should they "cast away the ghosts"? The party deem the armed struggle as having been nessecary.

You can't be serious? So you will still end up with your hard core of supporters who will vote SF.
    Where are you going to get additional voters, sure there is a floating vote for the taking?
    However in light of events over the past few days, it served as a timely reminder to generations of voters who were unaware of SF's murky past.
    Furthermore Mr. McGuiness got his answer from the electorate that they did not want him to represent them as President of Rep of Ireland.
    This is the same Mr. McGuiness who only in the last few days was threatening to withdraw SF's support for the PSNI. Brave move indeed , was willing to put the Peace Process in jeopardy.
    Until Laurel and Hardy step down, and hand the reigns over to Ms. McDonald & Mr . Doherty, Sinn Fein will always remain a Party with a lot of question marks over them.

So you will vote for one of the pixie heads that fooked the country. Fair play to open mindedness.

That's a pretty petty response.
    I am voting for a local independent in the locals and Nessa Childers in the Euro's (in the hope it keeps labour out).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

You can't be serious? So you will still end up with your hard core of supporters who will vote SF.
    Where are you going to get additional voters, sure there is a floating vote for the taking? .

Converts. Whats the point of appealing to a floating vote? This was the argument about Clintons second term - he ditched anything he could to get back in, preferring power over principles. The old school view - mine - is principles before power. This involves the bloody hard work of converting people.

Converts. Whats the point of appealing to a floating vote? This was the argument about Clintons second term - he ditched anything he could to get back in, preferring power over principles. The old school view - mine - is principles before power. This involves the bloody hard work of converting people.

100% agree

• Advertisement

That's a pretty petty response.
    I am voting for a local independent in the locals and Nessa Childers in the Euro's (in the hope it keeps labour out).

Jumper.

She is a former councillor for the Green Party in Blackrock in south Dublin. She was elected in 2004 and resigned from her seat in August 2008.[2]

Childers originally joined the Labour Party before the 2004 local elections, but when she failed to get a nomination to run for Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, she switched to the Green Party and was elected as a Green councillor.[2]

In September 2008 she resigned from the Green Party to run for the Labour Party in the East constituency at the 2009 European Parliament election.[3]

What do you think about that her auld lad wasn't up to much either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

Delighted to see Gerry released. I can't imagine he was an easy man to interrogate lol. He has done a huge amount for peace in the North - whether you like it, accept it or not. That is a fact.

His focus and determination on peace in the future is unshaken and he expressed this very coherently. He is aware of and repeatedly emphasised the fact that there will be individuals who will try to see him and SF fall. Basically, the opponents of peace - those who would act in a way which SF's detractors accuse SF of representing.

It takes an extraordinary amount of courage and moral strength & character to fight against a power for decades and then to finally agree to shake hands and move on so to speak. Not many people can do that in real life, let alone with the backdrop of decades of tyranny, murder and mayhem.

It was striking how united Mary Lou, Gerry & Martin appeared at the table. There was a unity and loyalty apparent between them which I have never once seen in a modern day political party.

Have to say, had never pegged Gerry as being a man with a keen sense of humour though haha. A 'cliver boyo'.

Not that it was in much doubt anyway, but my vote for SF is secured. Might change my name to Shinner - to save people the hassle of having to highlight the fact in any future debate in which I may engage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Because McConville would know better after all.

that man should be left alone (irish media take note) and not be attacked on the internet...it was bad enough his mother had to die...he should be told the truth of what happened
    this not a thing he will ever get over 100%

that poor frazer lad is in the same boat...they are being used by people who don't have there best interests at heart...only wanting to damage a political party which has set out to challenge the status quo

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

You know every politician doesn't have to be a Shinner or a pixie heads. There is room in between.

Jumper.

She is a former councillor for the Green Party in Blackrock in south Dublin. She was elected in 2004 and resigned from her seat in August 2008.[2]

Childers originally joined the Labour Party before the 2004 local elections, but when she failed to get a nomination to run for Dún Laoghaire-Rathdown County Council, she switched to the Green Party and was elected as a Green councillor.[2]

In September 2008 she resigned from the Green Party to run for the Labour Party in the East constituency at the 2009 European Parliament election.[3]

What do you think about that her auld lad wasn't up to much either.

Like I said petty.
    The type of post that does more damage to your cause than any outside dark cabal ever could.
    I at least have the comfort of knowing that while I am and was open to listening to other side, not everyone on the other side is as receptive or indeed as open.

He has direct experience of not only his mother being murdered by the IRA, but he himself being abducted and threatened by them.
    Its hardly a wonder that he would still feel their presence - real or imagined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Sure, converting and convincing them are tough jobs indeed.

Good luck with your campaign

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

I'd say he'd have a better knowledge of actual threats to his life than you would.

• Advertisement

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    You know every politician doesn't have to be a Shinner or a pixie heads. There is room in between.

Hopefully we will see that at the end of May.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement