Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'd say he'd have a better knowledge of actual threats to his life than you would.

Both Governments, the US and an international body believe the PIRA to be defunct and the army council disbanded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Have just watched Gerry Adams press conference.
    I have to say that in spite of all my misgivings and genuinely held dislike of the man, he was both impressive and sincere, he could have used this opportunity to be bitter and angry yet remained calm, continued to back the PSNI and remained committed to moving forward.
    I cannot in good conscience say that I was not both surprised and gladdened by his statesmanlike performance.
    I will not be voting SF but am considerably more open to listening to Mr Adams than I was before.
    Never let it be said that I am not open minded.

Fair play to you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Hopefully we will see that at the end of May.
    What?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

I couldn't have put it any better "vermin
    no, SAS shot them because they were irish, remember maggie had a shoot to kill policy in NI which was strictly for irish people only

the vermin who shot their children being locked up along with money would have been better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Nodin wrote: »
    Both Governments, the US and an international body believe the PIRA to be defunct and the army council disbanded.

The individuals have not gone away though, and McConville may fear repercussions from them - and those fears may well be justified.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Converts. Whats the point of appealing to a floating vote? This was the argument about Clintons second term - he ditched anything he could to get back in, preferring power over principles. The old school view - mine - is principles before power. This involves the bloody hard work of converting people.

In fairness Nodin, politics is an art based on pragmatism, and pragmatism oft times requires that some principles are forfeited in order that other principles are achieved.
    Few, if any, have achieved power, without compromise. That includes Mr Adams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Who were the IRA splinter group who shot the Garda in Co. Louth 18 months ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

"They haven't gone away you know"
    And even if they have, there are individuals out there, former members, who have a vested interest in keeping themselves out of prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

In fairness Nodin, politics is an art based on pragmatism, and pragmatism oft times requires that some principles are forfeited in order that other principles are achieved.
    Few, if any, have achieved power, without compromise. That includes Mr Adams.

yes but it would be a waste to see them go the way of the labour party or FF have basically no principles to speak of as soon as they get sniff of power

never before now heard them as a splinter group

• Advertisement

In fairness, not even the Gardaí are claiming it was an IRA splinter group that murdered Adrian.
    In my most vitriolic condemnations of SF and the IRA I have not sought to cast that aspersion on them.

It wasn't a republican group of any sort, if you had been following the continuing investigation.......

never before now heard them as a splinter group

Republican dissidents? Apologies if I am using incorrect terminology

Phoebas wrote: »
    "They haven't gone away you know"
    And even if they have, there are individuals out there, former members, who have a vested interest in keeping themselves out of prison.

They have. "individuals" are another matter. The organisation is defunct, however.

yes but it would be a waste to see them go the way of the labour party or FF have basically no principles to speak of as soon as they get sniff of power

This sadly is also true, and even more true in the case of Labour.

never heard them to be referred to as dissidents either...they were just out and out robbers

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JohnInDublin59

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Taking the long view here, but if no charges accrue(which they won't) then obstacles to voting for him will be removed for good.

Which makes me think this was orchestrated by the British to ensure GA gets into power in the South too. That will hasten the day when they can the f*** outta dodge. Cause they are very much in it at the minute.:D

So you're seriously saying that if there isn't sufficient evidence after 4 decades to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Adams was involved in the murder of Jean McConville then ‘obstacles to voting for him will be removed for good’?

I can think of plenty of other obstacles. Every other murder and maiming carried out by the Provos while he was a leading member, for example.

I also believe that one of Jean McConville’s daughters said she’d consider a civil case against him. Same as happened to OJ Simpson and the Omagh bombers. With a much lower standard of proof than under criminal law.

Which would be interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

They have. "individuals" are another matter. The organisation is defunct, however.
    You die the same way at the hands of a ex member of a defunct organisation as you do at the hands of a member of an active organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

In the face being banned, you are a clown, the Gardaí never claimed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,297 ✭✭✭howiya

Just watching Sky News here…. why are loyalists protesting about the release of gerry adams over the killing of a catholic? they clearly have no interest in her or her family.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I suppose you have a link to a Garda statement stating it was Republican linked?

It wasn't a republican group of any sort, if you had been following the continuing investigation.......

Nodin , perhaps you could update me briefly please ?

My recollection at the outset a splinter group was involved. Who is in the frame now?

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭ellavin

Bumper am sure by that comment you had no relative riddled by scum
    bumper234 wrote: »
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Phoebas wrote: »
    You die the same way at the hands of a ex member of a defunct organisation as you do at the hands of a member of an active organisation.

.....which is (a) rather a glib mischaracterisation of the difference between the capabilities of an organised group and one person and (b) irrelevant to the original claim of the PIRA's continued existence. They're gone, so I'd suggest barking up a still extant tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭LostinKildare

What's the story with the tapes anyway? I can't imagine it's going down too well in the US that academic files can be lifted out of their universities to be used by a foreign police force?

There's a very good story on the tape project in the Chronicle of Higher Education, the main journal of US academia, detailing the genesis of the project, the sloppiness with regard to legal protections and appropriate academic policies/oversight, the (IMO shocking) publication of Moloney's book Voices from the Grave, which exposed the project --- and potentially all the interviewees who had been promised secrecy until after their deaths. And the legal wrangling and the recriminations. The affair has badly tarnished the reputation of Boston College. Here:

http://chronicle.com/article/Secrets-from-Belfast/144059/

In the face being banned, you are a clown, the Gardaí never claimed that.

It would take a clown to recognise another ?

I most certainly am not a clown!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

No."splinter group" just scum plain and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

My recollection at the outset a splinter group was involved. Who is in the frame now?

Try and inform yourself before posting. You appear to me of being a FG supporter with your limited knowledge. Try Google.

Some skangers from Armagh.

• Advertisement

In fairness, it was never claimed that any so called republican group was responsible.
    What has been claimed is that the murderers are from south Armagh, but let me tell you there are plenty of gangsters in South Armagh that are not under the command or control of the so called "republican movement".
    There is a very old saying round these parts "From Carrickmacross to Crossmaglen there are more rogues than honest men".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement