Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

breaking: Gerry Adams Arrested in connection to McConville - MOD WARNING First Post

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

It would take a clown to recognise another ?

I most certainly am not a clown!

Go back and read some of your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,250 ✭✭✭✭bumper234

howiya wrote: »
    Just watching Sky News here…. why are loyalists protesting about the release of gerry adams over the killing of a catholic? they clearly have no interest in her or her family.

For the same reason as "republicans" protested against the love ulster rally in Dublin. Both groups claim to "support" a cause but are nothing more than rent a mobs trying to get on tv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Nodin wrote: »
    .....which is (a) rather a glib mischaracterisation of the difference between the capabilities of an organised group and one person and (b) irrelevant to the original claim of the PIRA's continued existence. They're gone, so I'd suggest barking up a still extant tree.

The issue though is whether or not McConville has received credible threats, not whether PIRA exists, and it is no glib mischaracterisation to suggest that he is the best judge of that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

bumper234 wrote: »
    For the same reason as "republicans" protested against the love ulster rally in Dublin. Both groups claim to "support" a cause but are nothing more than rent a mobs trying to get on tv.

There is a huge difference between the two situations, incomparable really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

The issue though is whether or not McConville has received credible threats, not whether PIRA exists, and it is no glib mischaracterisation to suggest that he is the best judge of that.

No, it was that he wasn't convinced the PIRA was gone. They have.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Try and inform yourself before posting. You appear to me of being a FG supporter with your limited knowledge. Try Google.

You are correct , I am not a Shinner and never will be !

The Shinners are getting confident again and are coming out of their hideaways tonight now that their Leader is out. A long way to go yet !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭orangesoda

I was in Antrim earlier and noticed the loyalists with their giant union fleg, surely they have something better to be doing on a sunday? the republicans go to GAA games and what not on a sunday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

.....which is (a) rather a glib mischaracterisation of the difference between the capabilities of an organised group and one person and (b) irrelevant to the original claim of the PIRA's continued existence. They're gone, so I'd suggest barking up a still extant tree.
    I don't think you are seriously seriously suggesting that ex members of the IRA any less capable of murder than they were when they were members (back when they murdered his mother).

I don't think it matters a damn to Michael McConville if the threats that were made against his life were fulfilled by an active member or a retiree.

Why? Sounds threatening...... oh dear the Shinners are upset?

Okay, we're talking about different issues here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,021 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

In fairness, it was never claimed that any so called republican group was responsible.
    What has been claimed is that the murderers are from south Armagh, but let me tell you there are plenty of gangsters in South Armagh that are not under the command or control of the so called "republican movement".
    There is a very old saying round these parts "From Carrickmacross to Crossmaglen there are more rogues than honest men".

It wasn't the boys from Shercock
    Or the lads from Ballybay
    But the dalin' men from Crossmaglen
    Put whiskey in me tay.

But anyway nothing moves or is allowed to move in those parts without the IRA knowing. There is a very sucessful oil industry to be protected.

The Shinners are getting confident again and are coming out of their hideaways tonight now that their Leader is out. A long way to go yet !!

You are like a tabloid on legs.

Phoebas wrote: »
    I don't think you are seriously seriously suggesting that ex members of the IRA any less capable of murder than they were when they were members (back when they murdered his mother).

I don't think it matters a damn to Michael McConville if the threats that were made against his life were fulfilled by an active member or a retiree.

.....and again, this is all blather. There is no more PIRA. You seem fairly indifferent to that fact, and far more intent on point scoring.

Put whiskey in me tay.

But anyway nothing moves or is allowed to move in those parts without the IRA knowing. There is a very sucessful oil industry to be protected.

There is no PIRA. Seriously lads.

.....and again, this is all blather. There is no more PIRA. You seem fairly indifferent to that fact, and far more intent on point scoring.

You are not being fair to Phoebas here.

Do you accept the possibility that people involved in a murder all those years ago could threaten someone whose evidence could result in their conviction?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Let's not be silly Nodin - Michael McConville's primary concern isn't about what the status of the IRA is - his concern is that the IRA people who threatened to kill him if he talked might actually kill him if he talked.

In fairness, it was never claimed that any so called republican group was responsible.
    What has been claimed is that the murderers are from south Armagh, but let me tell you there are plenty of gangsters in South Armagh that are not under the command or control of the so called "republican movement".
    There is a very old saying round these parts "From Carrickmacross to Crossmaglen there are more rogues than honest men".

Thank you for clarifying that, I withdraw my suggestion otherwise

Sincerely,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

orangesoda wrote: »
    I was in Antrim earlier and noticed the loyalists with their giant union fleg, surely they have something better to be doing on a sunday? the republicans go to GAA games and what not on a sunday

True loyalists can't go to football matches on our lords day, there is an exception though if you want to harass your neighbor if he is not from the same faith as them.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 JohnInDublin59

Because McConville would know better after all.

I saw the same clip. I thought Mr. McConville came over as calm and dignified.

He was asked whether he was prepared to name those who came to his home and took his mother, (and then tortured and murdered her.) He has previously refused to do this on the basis of threats to himself and his family.

He said he was still afraid, and referred to someone called Bobby Storey – AFAIK he was a top Provo – saying ‘we haven’t gone away you know’.

But of course, Mr McConville should place his trust in saintly and honest Mr Adams....

wazky wrote: »
    You are like a tabloid on legs.

Ok I will take that as a compliment ? !

• Advertisement

Ok I will take that as a compliment ? !

Take it whatever way you like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

Maybe you should try reading some of yours, they're embarrassing.

Put whiskey in me tay.

Thank you for your post
    That was my understanding of the situation too!! Apologies for using the incorrect terminology earlier!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭sillyoulfool

I saw the same clip. I thought Mr. McConville came over as calm and dignified.

He was asked whether he was prepared to name those who came to his home and took his mother, (and then tortured and murdered her.) He has previously refused to do this on the basis of threats to himself and his family.

He said he was still afraid, and referred to someone called Bobby Storey – AFAIK he was a top Provo – saying ‘we haven’t gone away you know’.

But of course, Mr McConville should place his trust in saintly and honest Mr Adams....

I would be afraid of Bobby Storey. The problem is that his former bosses no longer control him, and Bobby is the type that need controlling.

wazky wrote: »
    Take it whatever way you like.

Thanks Buddy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Phoebas wrote: »
    That's Gerry's crucial failing - he can't begin to seek forgiveness while he denies even his own membership of the IRA.
    I just saw a short clip. He said the IRA is gone, finished. Michael McConville doesn't seem to believe that.
    So you're seriously saying that if there isn't sufficient evidence after 4 decades to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Adams was involved in the murder of Jean McConville then ‘obstacles to voting for him will be removed for good’?

I can think of plenty of other obstacles. Every other murder and maiming carried out by the Provos while he was a leading member, for example.

I also believe that one of Jean McConville’s daughters said she’d consider a civil case against him. Same as happened to OJ Simpson and the Omagh bombers. With a much lower standard of proof than under criminal law.

Which would be interesting....

Just you keep ignoring what Adams has done in the last 20 years.

It i time for the McConvilles to either do what they say they can do or be quiet quite frankly.
    If they aren't prepared to give us the people of Ireland the information they say they have, what the hell do they want us to do?

There is no PIRA. Seriously lads.

Ahem......................!

It is late , I know there is a lot of ball hopping going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Mike Frank Hustle

Innocent until proven guilty, let's see how this settles in court before we go accusing anyone of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Well played Sf superb publicity stunt ,

This was supposedly about political policing it looked that way until the bobby sands anniversary and I didn't eat for 2 days speech ,

For someone who was been questioned for 17 hours a day for 4 days and didn't eat for several of them days he looked well ,
    I'd most of us would look like ****e after an ordeal like that ,

I liked michael mcconville suggestion for an outside international review/ investigation of his mothers kidnap and killing ,

Might be the way forward take the political crap out of the game all together

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭umop.episdn

Innocent until proven guilty, let's see how this settles in court before we go accusing anyone of anything.

Pity the same right wasn't afforded to Jean McConville

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement