Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green areas in housing estates in Mayo

Options
  • 30-04-2014 9:34pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Why is it or why are people under the impression that residents hold the responsibility of green area maintaince in housing estates? Is this common across Mayo?

In Dublin this falls under the local councils, why not in Mayo? What are people paying a property tax for?

Residents taking it upon them self to take care of such area is great. But thinking they are responsible misses the point of councils taking charge of estates.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Unfortunately councils don't take responsibility for all estates. Newer estates are maintained by management companies . Residents contribute towards the running of this

Some estates were taken over by the council last year but there are still a lot under management companies

B

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

I should have made clear: I'm talking about my own estate and at least another one I'm sure has been taken over by a town and the county council.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭The Buster

Ah ok that makes sense.

Do council maintain at all. Some places they don't cut it too regularly so residents look after it in between to keep tidy. Sense of community pride.

But the argument could be made it councils responsibility too cut grass more often etc. but then what about all grass verges in country areas. Comes down to resources.
    Don't think I answered your question but it's a good discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lurooney

I live in mayo in a council estate and i know the residents here the last few years have maintained cutting the grass but the council now have allocated funds for it to the tidy towns and its very well looked after this year so far..it should be council responsibility anyway in my view

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lurooney

I live in mayo in a council estate and i know the residents here the last few years have maintained cutting the grass but the council now have allocated funds for it to the tidy towns and its very well looked after this year so far..it should be council responsibility anyway in my view

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Richie71

I'm in the same boat as you OP so just googled it there and found a document on the Mayo Co.Co. website called 'Taking in Charge Policy for Housing Developments'. According to this, the services provided include Maintenance of public open spaces, not including grass cutting etc.

Tidy Towns may be the ones to approach alright.

mayococo.ie/m/media/Media,8459,en.pdf

Advertisement