Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Printer for wedding invitations

Options
  • 30-04-2014 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi All,

We are looking at printing our own wedding invitations.The design is black and white so a laser printer should do the trick. Just wondering does anyone have any advise on what to get? Once the invitations are done we will not have frequent use for it. Wireless would be a nice addition but not essential. Budget around €100. What is a decent resolution to aim for?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

The problem you're going to run into is the thickness of the paper you'll want to use. Wedding paper is usually around the 280gsm. Typical copy paper is around 70gsm. You'll need to keep that in mind when looking for any type of printer. I know this because my wife does invitations and it was a job finding one to do the different thicknesses and sizes. I think she paid around six hundred euro for her inkjet.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Laser printers capable of handling heavy card are not easy to find, I have one here (Sharp AR-C260) that I got specifically for printing card, it's well old, very big, and not the most reliable of printers, but it will handle up to 300 Gm card, and it took me a long time to find it.

Any of the small low cost laser printers are unlikely to be able to handle anything above 100 Gm, which is effectively heavy paper. If the fuser uses an oil based roller, that's another problem for heavy card, as it has to be processed very slowly in order to get the toner to fuse correctly, so the Sharp (for example) is capable of over 30 pages a minute on normal weight A4, but it will only print at about 5 pages a minute on the really heavy card.

Do your homework very carefully, and don't buy unless you have it in writing that the printer you're getting can handle the weight of card you are planning to use, as damage caused by overweight card use won't be covered on warranty, and they will be able to tell that it was heavy card that caused the problems.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

briN_s wrote: »
    Hi All,

We are looking at printing our own wedding invitations.The design is black and white so a laser printer should do the trick. Just wondering does anyone have any advise on what to get? Once the invitations are done we will not have frequent use for it. Wireless would be a nice addition but not essential. Budget around €100. What is a decent resolution to aim for?

Thanks

If the desaign is black and white I would have thought printing costs from a commercial printer would be realtively low. What's the difference between quotes you've gotten and the approx €100 you've budgeted for a printer?

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭briN_s

Thanks all for the feedback. As you have suggested, a printer for that thickness of paper is not easy to come by (for a reasonable price). We checked a few commercial printers, most of them would only print their own invitation designs. Found one today who would let us use our design, and our paper as they do not have the paper we need. Price of paper and printing coming in well under the price of a printer! Don't know why I didn't check that out in the first place!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Try your local newspaper also. I know relatives that have used one for wedding invitations. A place people don't think about, but if they can't, then I'm sure they are likely to recommend a printers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement