Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balsamic Vinegar ?

Options
  • 30-04-2014 10:00pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭

I have a bottle in the press for ages, How do you use it, And for what ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I COVER salads in it! You can also reduce it and smear it on a plate to accompany a variety of things (goat's cheese, quiches, tartlets, pate, etc.). It is often used as a sauce on plates when you order a starter in a restaurant. It can be used in recipes for glazes for meat and I have never had it but balsamic strawberries is another way of using it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I mix it with honey to make a salad dressing; add it to pasta sauces (about a teaspoon per tin of tomatoes); drizzle it, along with olive oil, over vegetables before roasting them, and sometimes pour a small amount over strawberries/raspberries/blueberries and leave them sitting for a while before eating them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

My favorite thing at the moment is to shallow fry a punnet of cherry toms in just a tiny bit of oil on a high heat, then once the skins are starting to split and they're going soft, drizzle over balsamic vinegar and toss lightly every couple of minutes for the last 5-6 mins as it reduces to a glaze.

They make a lovely sweet and tangy accompaniment to just about any dish, meat, fish or even a fry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

A little bit in the caramelised onions....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mix with an equal amount of good olive oil and dip good crusty bread in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Oooh I love it, it is so versatile. I use it for most of the salad dressings I make and it is also a lovely accompaniment to anything savoury with a hint of sweetness - I love to stuff figs with cheese and wrap in parma, bake them in oven and then drizzle with balsamic. I did some recently and they were gorg if I do say so myself, the balsamic cut through the sweetness of the figs beautifully....am attaching a pic which I hope for a change won't be upside down :o

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Merkin wrote: »
    I love to stuff figs with cheese and wrap in parma, bake them in oven and then drizzle with balsamic. I did some recently and they were gorg if I do say so myself, the balsamic cut through the sweetness of the figs beautifully....am attaching a pic which I hope for a change won't be upside down :o

I'm nurturing a fig tree in a pot in my back garden and it looks like I may actually get some fruit off it this year so I'll try this :)

*Your photo is the right way up :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Prenderb wrote: »
    A little bit in the caramelised onions....

And throw in some garam masala as well. Damn fine.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

I slice beef tomatoes, then put in a shallow dish, cover in balsamic vinegar and your choice of herbs, fab!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I'm nurturing a fig tree in a pot in my back garden and it looks like I may actually get some fruit off it this year so I'll try this :)

*Your photo is the right way up :)

Thanks Dizzy, phew!! :) The fig dish is absolutely scrumptious and requires little to no work so it makes a lovely little starter if you're entertaining or what have you!

I only thought of it later, but when I had lots of tomatoes left at the end of the summer last year I made a tomato and balsamic soup! I will try and dig up the recipe, worked really well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭livinsane

I did balsamic strawberries recently. I wasn't expecting much but man they were savage. I sliced the fruit, drizzled with a nice bit of the vinegar, sprinkle of sugar and some black pepper. Cover and leave to sit for an hour or two.

I also use it to make marinara sauce.

I personally hate it as a salad dressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Use it in spag bol. 2 x tablespoons

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

For the veggies:

Chop the "lid" off a large pepper and scoop out the insides.

Into it put a mixture of red onion, feta cheese and chopped tomato, all sprinkled with balsamic vinegar.

Replace the "lid", cover in tinfoil and put into the oven (or BBQ) for about 30-40 mins.

Even as a carnivore, I love this recipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Pang

Use it in marinades. Lovely on chicken and even sausages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Nice Balsamic Salad Dressing: Mix one teaspoon of English mustard with one teaspoon of Balsamic and a teaspoon honey in a clean jam jar. Then add seven teaspoons of extra virgin olive oil. Place lid on jar and shake like crazy until mixed. Season with some salt and pepper if needed and place in fridge until ready to use.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Maphisto

If we have trout or mackeral we put a little on.

When we used to visit Gozo quite regularly (years ago) there was a restaurant along the coast at Marsalforn that used to do a starter of:

Sliced Tomatoes
    Sliced Mozarella
    Basil Leaves
    Balsamic Vinegar

It was a meal to die for :p. I've tried to recreate it hundreds of times but we just don't have Mediteranean Tomatoes. Maybe the heat and the sea had something to do with it too.

I enjoyed that a lot thank you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

It's called caprese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

I throw a little into omelettes, gives it a lovely flavour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭shroom007

put loads of veg in a dish sprinkle with balsamic and roast. parsnips,mushrooms carrots......

Advertisement