Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming Pc Build €1000-1200

Options
  • 30-04-2014 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭

Hiya. I am looking at building a new gaming pc. I have built a number over the years but I have been out of touch with the latest advancements, so I am looking for some advice. Cheers

1. What is your budget? [€xxx]
    €1000-1200

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Gaming, Programming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No]
    Yes, Win7

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer?
    SSD 120gb

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No]
    No

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [19'/20'/22'/24'/etc.]
    NA

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.]
    No

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No]
    No

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]
    Visa Debit

9. When are you purchasing? [In x days]
    ASAP

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [South Dublin City/Cork City/Kerry/etc.]
    NA

Other points:
    I want to stick with a Nvidia graphics card for the recording software.
    I need a good sound card. I picked up a Razer Tiamat and want to get the best out of it. Something like: This
    I need a spare 1tb drive as I am passing on my old machine and need a fresh drive for it.
    I want to stick to a normal size case if possible.

Any advice would be appreciated.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Addled

Item|Price
    Intel Xeon E3-1230v3 Bx, LGA1150 |€203.18
    ASUS H87-PRO (C2) |€87.07
    8GB-Kit Crucial Ballistix Sport Series DDR3-1600, CL9 |€56.59
    Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 GHz Edition WindForce 3X, 3GB GDDR5, 2x DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort |€437.46
    FRACTAL DESIGN Define R4 Black Pearl |€83.54
    Corsair CX Series Modular CX600M, 600W |€59.82
    Delock 82476 SATA Kabel 20cm gerade/gerade Metall gelb |€1.05
    WD Blue 1TB 6Gb's |€46.98
    LG DH18NS schwarz bare SATA II |€11.32
    Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch |€81.73
    ASUS Xonar D2X, PCIe x1 |€124.25
    Shipping|€18.99
    Total|€1211.98

All of these are priced from hardwareversand after running each item through geizhals.de.

The cpu is equivalent to a 4770 minus the integrated graphics but much cheaper.

I wasn't sure how much ram you needed but you could get an extra pair of the same stuff listed to bring you up to 16GB and fill out the board.

The only thing I'm ambivalent about is the graphics, you would be able to get great performance out of a 770 at 1080p and save a few quid.

On the other hand the listed card is factory overclocked (under warranty at it's stock overclock) and locks horns with the much more expensive 780 ti and beats the r9 290x as well.
    If you want to check out the graphics performance google "780 ghz edition" and take a look at some of the reviews.

The soundcard you listed seems to be cheaper pretty much everywhere but hwvs so might be better off getting it separately.

There's also a few people getting windows licences very cheaply off reddit in the "Cheapest place to buy Win7 key??" thread. Might be worth checking out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

That's fantastic, thanks. I wouldn't have considered that processor or graphics card.

Would you recommend any heat sinks?

That's fantastic, thanks. I wouldn't have considered that processor or graphics card.

Would you recommend any heat sinks?

Yeah the cpu is great value, SterlingArcher was the first person I saw to suggest it.

You can get away with the stock Heatsink that comes with the xeon as you won't be overclocking. If you want something to keep the cpu running a little cooler and quieter most people recommend a hyper 212 evo for overclocking so it would be more than enough for stock clocks.

Alternatively something like the Raijintek Themis or Deepcool GAMMAXX 300 have 120mm fans so they should be very quiet and should have no trouble with any cpu at stock clocks. The Deepcool is in stock on hwvs right now and comes in at €19,60 after running it through geizhals.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Cunning Alias

That's perfect. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭estilen

From my own experience...
    http://www.hardwareversand.de/3072+MB/80406/EVGA+GeForce+GTX+780+Superclocked+w+ACX%2C+3GB+DDR5%2C+PCI-Express.article
    Great, fast, factory overclocked card. Beats every game and can get overclocked even further.
    Apparently the cards from Gigabyte can whine a bit. Not sure if it's true, but... EVGA is great as well.

You don't really need an aftermarket cooler. If your CPU cooling unit gets noisy, just get something cheap like CoolerMaster 212 EVO. Sick cooler.

I'd rather get the ASRock B85 Pro4 motherboard. The H87 boards are pretty pointless. You're not overclocking, you don't really get many useful features either. B85 is more than enough. Alternatively, you can pick up the MSI B85-G43.

I'd also get Windows 8.1, but I guess it's personal preference. Some of the games run better on Win8.1, also it takes less time to boot up and work, due to the better RAM usage.

Overall, Addled put together a decent build. I'd just change the motherboard and GPU.

@Addled
    A sata cable? Why would he need that? :P They come with the motherboard.

• Advertisement

Yeah the h87 motherboard isn't really necessary, I think I have a bit of a bias in favor of Asus :). Might be handy if you ever wanted to put another drive in RAID but not worth the price difference.

Coil whine can happen to any GPU it's mostly luck of the draw. If it did happen you could rma the card as defective though that would be a pain in the arse.
    I've owned a 660 windforce oc which was grand though these cards are in another league so it doesn't really apply.
    estilen wrote: »
    @Addled
    A sata cable? Why would he need that? :P They come with the motherboard.
    Yeah I know, I wasn't sure the op already had a cable to spare for the leftover SSD, the board comes with two cables 1 for the ssd, 1 for the 1tb and the third is for the dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭SterlingArcher

Original build would be one I'd go for. Only thing I'd do is try your best to squeeze an ssd in there to have your windows on. speed up boot times and any games you play priority. cuts load times and in some games like arma even helps with texture streaming.

Crucial 120gb think goes for 57 euro. Ideally Samsung evo 68. Using Geizhals.

Advertisement