Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Registering new business, will current employer know this?

Options
  • 30-04-2014 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

I'm in the process of setting up as a sole trader,
    I am currently employed but will be leaving my job in the next month to go fulltime in the new venture,
    My question is, if I register my company online will my employer know this or be notified by revenue about it?
    I don't want my life to be made hell for the last few week's if he know's I will be leaving soon!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

mark_eire wrote: »
    I am currently employed but will be leaving my job in the next month to go fulltime in the new venture,
    My question is, if I register my company online will my employer know this or be notified by revenue about it?
    I don't want my life to be made hell for the last few week's if he know's I will be leaving soon!!

are u registering the business as a sole trader/ partnership or a limited company where u will be a director?

mark_eire wrote: »

Unless he is clairvoyant no he won't know

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭dbran

Hi

He is unlikely to find out unless you are indiscreet ie use work time to set it up, send emails from work machines, blab to a work collegue, advertise the business etc.

dbran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭Peterdalkey

Does your contract of employment permit/forbid you to carry on a private business? If you are in any way in competition with your employer, you are in very dangerous ground regarding your work position. The acid test: why WOULD YOU NOT WANT YOUR MAIN EMPLOYER TO KNOW?

if your the director of a limited company the next tax credits will be issued

if as a sole trader should be no tell tail signs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 mark_eire

Cheer's thanks,

There is no reason why I don't want him to know other than the fact I will be leaving here in the next month to go solo,
    I'm his only employee and he put's a lot of pressure and relies on me a lot,
    My work life will be unbearable for the coming month until I leave if he was to find out, I wasn't sure if me registering a business would change things tax wise and he would know that way.
    Anyway, thanks for clearing it up!

Best of luck

If you ever need advice on bookkeeping, tax or accounts drop me a PM

Advertisement