Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What greenhouse flooring?

• 01-05-2014 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I'm building a small greenhouse and am wondering what floor would be best.

I want to put in a shelf for herbs, and have some watermelons and pumpkins for the kids, also a few birds of paradise.

OK to leave just an earth floor?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Absolutely, that's what i did. The choices are basically soil beds or cover the floor with a variety of materials from chippings to flag stones. Thing about covering the floor is that you are restricting yourself to growing in containers. Container growing is more work as the plants rely 100 % on you for water and food. That's fine if you are dedicated and have the time and know how. Growing in the ground is much easier. A good layout for a small greenhouse is a U shaped bed with a path down the middle. So basically lay a few slabs or some other material in a strip from the door to the back of the GH just stopping short of the end. Works well and you have access to all side for growing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

How about pallets? Something like..

http://colonyearth.com/pallet-gardens

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Esho

Thanks very much, great suggestion. I didn't think of the watering and maintenance either. I'll do that.
    Much appreciated :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Esho

Great idea to use pallets as shelving. I'm going to do that for some herbs, maybe put strawberries on top.
    They're nice and thin too, to save space. Thanks for that :-)

Advertisement