Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

daft.ie has removed "RAA" option

Options
  • 01-05-2014 7:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Is it only me or did anyone else realize that daft.ie has removed the option for " Rent Allowance Accepted" [tick] from letting search option.

I am sure that I click on advance search and click any random county or town, can not search for renting property who accept the rent allowance...

check it out... daft.ie/lettings/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Your right. I'd consider that a huge problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Clearly done as a cover your ass exercise but will just make life more awkward for all concerned. This move won't make any landlords accept rent supplement. It'll just make it harder for tenants to find those that do.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

murphaph wrote: »
    This move won't make any landlords accept rent supplement. It'll just make it harder for tenants to find those that do.

yes, that was my point to create the post..

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

Ignorant foreigner question: How is rent allowance administrated? Is the government paying the landlord directly on the tenant's behalf (in which case I'd imagine that the landlord would be sure to receive rent in time) or are they giving it to the tenant (in which case, why would the landlord even know about it?) or are there other factors?

Sorry for being clueless, I'm just having a hard time understanding the problem. Or is it just "we don't want to rent to that sort of people, they will probably end up trashing the apartment"?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Stenth wrote: »
    Ignorant foreigner question: How is rent allowance administrated? Is the government paying the landlord directly on the tenant's behalf (in which case I'd imagine that the landlord would be sure to receive rent in time) or are they giving it to the tenant (in which case, why would the landlord even know about it?) or are there other factors?

Sorry for being clueless, I'm just having a hard time understanding the problem. Or is it just "we don't want to rent to that sort of people, they will probably end up trashing the apartment"?

The majority of the time its given to tenants who apply for it ,
    ie, tenants then put a minimum contribution of €35 pw and then pass it on to the landlord themselfs ,but its fairly common for people on rent supplement to either forget to do it or spend the money on other things,and theres zero comeback on tenants who do this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If the Social Welfare decide the tenant is no longer getting Rent Allowance, the landlord is often the last person to find out.

Also, every so often, the Social Welfare f**ks up, and EVERYONE ON RA doesn't get anything. And thus the landlord doesn't get paid. May not be the tenants fault, but it ain't the landlords problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭godwin

Gatling wrote: »
    The majority of the time its given to tenants who apply for it

This is due to the policy at the DSP refusing to deposit it into banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Every ad will just have :

*** RENT ALLOWANCE NOT ACCEPTED ***

At the top of it. So much so that ive even left landlords a little copy and paste example

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

newbie13 wrote: »
    Is it only me or did anyone else realize that daft.ie has removed the option for " Rent Allowance Accepted" [tick] from letting search option.

Seems like a very silly thing to do as tenants on RA will now have to e-mail every landlord asking if they will accept it.

Ignorant foreigner
    what is your point with this ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Ihatecuddles

what is your point with this ?

He meant he's not from Ireland and therefore wasn't familiar with RA.

copied from personal email

"
    --> The "rent allowance" filter will no longer be available when entering an ad or searching for one on our site.
    This change is being made following dialogue with the Department of Social Protection, whose expressed position is that the offering of this filter perpetuates a misunderstood stereotype of rent allowance applicants and should cease immediately.
    If there is anything else we can assist with please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

The Daft Team "

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

"
    --> The "rent allowance" filter will no longer be available when entering an ad or searching for one on our site.
    This change is being made following dialogue with the Department of Social Protection, whose expressed position is that the offering of this filter perpetuates a misunderstood stereotype of rent allowance applicants and should cease immediately.
    If there is anything else we can assist with please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

The Daft Team "

Are the DSP their clients or end user?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Stenth

mauzo! wrote: »
    He meant he's not from Ireland and therefore wasn't familiar with RA.

Pretty much, yes.
    And I was wondering why the tenant wouldn't just forget to tell the landlord that he was on RA, but I realize now that's why the landlords wants to know where/if you work, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

its fairly common for people on rent supplement to either forget to do it or spend the money on other things,and theres zero comeback on tenants who do this

surely you have the same comeback as against any other tenants who don't pay their rent - you evict them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

loyatemu wrote: »
    surely you have the same comeback as against any other tenants who don't pay their rent - you evict them.

Oh yeah after your 14 days and ohh the social didnt pay this month ,never mind the 2 week holidays in the sun I just had excuse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The LL will have to complete part of the RA form as well. The questions are now very intrusive and want to know the ins and outs of a cat's arse - from the value of the property, price paid, the lot. I think that's also why so many are reluctant to accept RA, especially if they are not tax compliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,942 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Oh yeah after your 14 days and ohh the social didnt pay this month ,never mind the 2 week holidays in the sun I just had excuse

I'm sure private tenants use sob-stories as an excuse too.

Does being in receipt of RA give you any additional rights as a tenant?

Pretty much, yes.
    And I was wondering why the tenant wouldn't just forget to tell the landlord that he was on RA, but I realize now that's why the landlords wants to know where/if you work, etc.

I think the tenant needs to get Landlord`s pps number and signature for one of the document to apply for Rent supplement or allowance..
    So tenant cannot hide or lie that he is not on RA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Landlords will be back to the days of receiving ten calls a day asking them do they take rent allowance even through rent allowance is about a third short of the rent quoted

LLs would take rent allowance if it was market rate. But LLs are not a charity. They aren't going to lower their rent for rent allowance. They have a ton of expenses to pay. I Dont understand how the government thinks introducing legalisation that makes denying someone a house because they are on rent allowance solves the problem. If rent allowance was market rent, most LLs would take rent allowance

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

loyatemu wrote: »

It's fairly difficult to get evicted legally in this country.
    The main reason why landlords don't like rent allowance is because it's paid in arrears.
    Then you also have the stereotype that gets applied to rent allowance tenants, because if what some tenants on rent allowance do. In the same way all students get stereotyped as trouble makers who'll trash the place, even though that's only a small minority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭TheBandicoot

"

Regards,

The Daft Team "

What stereotype? Honestly I don't know what the DSP are on about.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

What stereotype? Honestly I don't know what the DSP are on about.
    I agree and why Daft would listen to the DSP in the first place is beyond me. It isn't like they can enforce anything on them. All it does is make it more difficult to use the website.

I still don't get why somebody who is unemployed hasn't gone and tried to set-up a website specifically for RA tenants and LL willing to accept it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    I agree and why Daft would listen to the DSP in the first place is beyond me. It isn't like they can enforce anything on them. All it does is make it more difficult to use the website.

I still don't get why somebody who is unemployed hasn't gone and tried to set-up a website specifically for RA tenants and LL willing to accept it.

Great idea, Ray! Are you offering? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Great idea, Ray! Are you offering? ;)
    I am not unemployed and lack of RA doesn't effect me negatively. Given people are going on about getting the government to change why can't they do it for themselves?

The government will give you training, you can work from home and you can even get tax breaks if you have been unemployed for over a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Many area,s the ra limits, are below the market rate.
    There,s too much unneeded info on the form,
    ie prsi no of anyone who lives in the house ,etc even if they are not on welfare,
    WHY should the hse know how much you paid for the house/
    This thing re tax compliance is a myth.
    Landlords have one bad experience with a tenant and they stop taking ra clients.
    Landlords have plenty of reasons to refuse ra tenants .
    SO now tenants will have to waste time emailing,
    or phoning advertisers to find out if they take rent allowance.
    IF i,m looking for 100 euro rent for a flat,
    i cant take rent allowance as its over the ra limit.
    Whether i,ll accept ra is irrevelant .
    What job is there for 100,000 people to work from home.?

UNDER the ra system it can take weeks for the first payment to come thru.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

hfallada wrote: »
    Landlords will be back to the days of receiving ten calls a day asking them do they take rent allowance even through rent allowance is about a third short of the rent quoted

LLs would take rent allowance if it was market rate. But LLs are not a charity. They aren't going to lower their rent for rent allowance. They have a ton of expenses to pay. I Dont understand how the government thinks introducing legalisation that makes denying someone a house because they are on rent allowance solves the problem. If rent allowance was market rent, most LLs would take rent allowance

it would have to be enough above the rate to pay for insurance for everything, In my experience with landlords rent allowance is the flip of a coin, you get some people who are mostly fine (normally single mothers, your house is alright except for crayon on the walls and a little above average wear and tear) or you get complete and utter scum who disrespect everything and whove only left the 4 walls and the roof intact because they passed out from drink or heroin before they thought of destroying those. The problem is they both show up on your door being polite and looking the same way.

for the risk thats in it, I personally wouldnt bother with rent allowance tenants, if I had a good tenant who lost his/her job half way through the lease Id have no problem taking it and keeping them on , but in general people who show up to your door on RA from day 1 are just too much of a wildcard to leave with such a valuable investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Most of the ads i see in dublin ,are over the ra limit.
    Theres no point ringing about an ad thats over the weekly limit.
    This is just political correctness .
    Which makes it harder for people who need ra acccomodation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

There is a point ringing if the rent is above RA limits, you may be renting the property to share with someone who is not on RA, and planning a division of rent such that your share is under/equal to the limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

So after a meeting with he DSP Daft have agreed to take out the RA filter.I think it's more to do with hiding the true figures and statistics stacked against a RA recipient. A couple of days ago there were 10 properties accepting RA in Dublin, out of 1,630.

Advertisement