Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

daft.ie has removed "RAA" option

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

zef wrote: »
    A couple of days ago there were 10 properties accepting RA in Dublin, out of 1,630.
    And now there is none :/

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

So after a meeting with he DSP Daft have agreed to take out the RA filter.I think it's more to do with hiding the true figures and statistics stacked against a RA recipient. A couple of days ago there were 10 properties accepting RA in Dublin, out of 1,630.

Zef in another thread you accused me of adding a single mother tax on to what I charge RA tenants. There's a reason why most ll won't deal with RA tenants

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

newbie13 wrote: »
    I think the tenant needs to get Landlord`s pps number and signature for one of the document to apply for Rent supplement or allowance..
    So tenant cannot hide or lie that he is not on RA.

What happens in reality- is the tenant doesn't advise that they are on RA- they pay the deposit and 1st month's rent up front- and then confront the landlord with the documentation.,......

Also- some tenants have been known to state that the landlord is non-resident, as a manner of getting around not having their PPSN.

Once the tenant has their foot in the door- getting them out, even when their RA application is turned down and they are not paying their rent- is a nightmare. It can take well over a year to retrieve the property- and often 5 figure sums to return it to condition where it can be relet........

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

I think daft.ie should bring back to RA filters for letting search..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

So after a meeting with he DSP Daft have agreed to take out the RA filter.I think it's more to do with hiding the true figures and statistics stacked against a RA recipient. A couple of days ago there were 10 properties accepting RA in Dublin, out of 1,630.

Quite obvious and im amazed your post didnt get a hundred thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Well, back to work references than.

In my experience people don't respect what they haven't paid for.

Hate to tar everyone with the same brush, but my own experience is undeniable.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Very cynical stuff from the DSP and Daft I'd have to say. I get that not many properties (in Dublin anyway) are under the threshold for RA but removing a feature from the site for some strange cosmetic reason is very strange to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

P_1 wrote: »
    Very cynical stuff from the DSP and Daft I'd have to say. I get that not many properties (in Dublin anyway) are under the threshold for RA but removing a feature from the site for some strange cosmetic reason is very strange to say the least.

Could be other reasons ,

Im thinking they will ramp up councils taking over rent supplement admistration and payments ,

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

What happens in reality- is the tenant doesn't advise that they are on RA- they pay the deposit and 1st month's rent up front- and then confront the landlord with the documentation.,......

Also- some tenants have been known to state that the landlord is non-resident, as a manner of getting around not having their PPSN.

Once the tenant has their foot in the door- getting them out, even when their RA application is turned down and they are not paying their rent- is a nightmare. It can take well over a year to retrieve the property- and often 5 figure sums to return it to condition where it can be relet........
    Even more reason for landlords to start using what little power they have and start insisting on original bank statements showing an actual income stream for the last 3 months directly before the tenancy is to begin.

Gatling wrote: »
    Could be other reasons ,

Im thinking they will ramp up councils taking over rent supplement admistration and payments ,
    Won't change a thing so long as the max rates are below what a landlord can achieve on the open market (which is the case where most people want/need to live, i.e in the major cities).

The government tried to kick landlords around and this carry on was applauded by the mob. Now look what's happening.

• Advertisement

murphaph wrote: »
    Even more reason for landlords to start using what little power they have and start insisting on original bank statements showing an actual income stream for the last 3 months directly before the tenancy is to begin.

Then we get accused of being Nazis- and have the 'I'll show you my finances if you show me yours' brigade wasting your time. You really can't win.

Stated reason is:
    This change is being made following dialogue with the Department of Social Protection, whose expressed position is that the offering of this filter perpetuates a misunderstood stereotype of rent allowance applicants and should cease immediately.

Why DAFT are allowing the DSFA to dictate this is beyond me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Then we get accused of being Nazis- and have the 'I'll show you my finances if you show me yours' brigade wasting your time. You really can't win.

Lots of Irish landlords are cowboys, as the posts on this forum will attest. People are not going to hand over this kind of information to some gob****e who doesnt consider himself as running a normal business.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Won't change a thing so long as the max rates are below what a landlord can achieve on the open market (which is the case where most people want/need to live, i.e in the major cities).

Actually I said it a few times you will get the UK model here ,councils pay landlords directly and tenants make a contribution but when rents increase or your benefits change then the council find you a cheaper property several hundred miles away and then it will be a case take it or leave it ( if you choose the latter your on your own)

Gatling wrote: »
    Actually I said it a few times you will get the UK model here ,councils pay landlords directly and tenants make a contribution but when rents increase or your benefits change then the council find you a cheaper property several hundred miles away and then it will be a case take it or leave it ( if you choose the latter your on your own)
    I think it's going that way as well. There's no real alternative. It's the same here in Berlin these days: the rents are increasing (yes, rent control exists for sitting tenants but still allows increases that are beyond inflation and well beyond the increases in the equivalent of Rent Supplement) so people who can't afford to pay their own rent and depend on other taxpayers are being forced (financially) out of the gentrifying city centre districts in Berlin to outlying areas.

There is a core question to be answered: should city centres have any social housing or RS tenants in them at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

There is a core question to be answered: should city centres have any social housing or RS tenants in them at all?

It really has to be considered. The standard argument is about destroying communities. The problem is some of these communities aren't worth saving. Sean Mc Dermot street is a good example. I have seen the flats be refurbished completely at least 4 times and then destroyed.

I think at this point they should be used for private housing with the money to be used to create better integrated social housing further out.

There is a great Georgian building there being wasted because of the social problems in the area.

Posts about living in the city center are irrelevant,This problem is country wide people on RA cant get properties in leinster let alone dublin city,i have worked all of my adult life bar 1 year,If you move people such as i to the back arse of leitrim you will destroy the economy and have a massive problem with stagnation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

That makes no sense,
    government policy is to have x per cent of social housing where there s new building ,estates being built.
    And theres plenty of social housing already in the city centre.
    THE new rules came in banning bedsits, rents went up,
    so it makes no financial sense for landlords to take on ra tenants in many area,s.
    They could bring in new tax breaks for landlords who have ra tenants in citys ,
    And allow rent allowance to be paid directly to the landlord s bank account ,if the tenant wishes to do so.

THIS problem is not just confined to the city centre,
    almost anywhere in dublin its hard to get a flat under the ra system.

riclad wrote: »
    They could bring in new tax breaks for landlords who have ra tenants in citys ,
    And allow rent allowance to be paid directly to the landlord s bank account ,if the tenant wishes to do so.

My rent is directly paid to the landlord but i know tenants that chose to have the rent paid to themselves,now imo that is dodgy i dont understand why people choose to receive the cheque as they have to lodge the money them selves and worry about it being stolen or not arriving in the post.

And the RA option is back again.......

• Advertisement

So the person that claimed he received an email from daft was quite obviously telling porkies.

Pocoyo wrote: »
    So the person that claimed he received an email from daft was quite obviously telling porkies.

Not necessarily.
    If a few people complained- perhaps they listened, and decided they were shooting themselves in the foot by running DSPs agenda for them.........
    DSP aren't exactly known being able to coordinate an internet campaign- perhaps DAFT didn't realise the implications of running with their suggestions........

It was nuts not being able to use it as a criteria- and a complete and utter waste of everyone's time. Sense, it would seem, has prevailed.

perhaps DAFT didn't realise the implications of running with their suggestions........

It was nuts not being able to use it as a criteria- and a complete and utter waste of everyone's time. Sense, it would seem, has prevailed.

This really seems the most likely thing. Very surprised they listened to DSP but maybe they did it on the basis that if nobody/few complain they will leave it that way.

I'd say they got a flood of emails from tenants tbh and quickly realised they had killed an important usability feature. Surprising that they didn't already know and appreciate how important that checkbox is.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    This really seems the most likely thing. Very surprised they listened to DSP but maybe they did it on the basis that if nobody/few complain they will leave it that way.

No its more likely that it was a bug,It happens to sites all time,The fact that daft didnt announce the changes and that it was reactivated so quickly suggests it was an error.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Stated reason is:

Why DAFT are allowing the DSFA to dictate this is beyond me.

Its something like .1% of their advertised lets. Not exactly a market changing decision.

Pocoyo wrote: »
    No its more likely that it was a bug,It happens to sites all time,The fact that daft didnt announce the changes and that it was reactivated so quickly suggests it was an error.

It was a conscious decision- just chatting to one of the guys at lunchtime.
    They didn't expect the level of negative feedback, and reversed it this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭newbie13

I should received hundreds " Thanks " for creating this post. Maybe this post made Daft.ie to put the RA filter on letting search.

newbie13 wrote: »
    I should received hundreds " Thanks " for creating this post. Maybe this post made Daft.ie to put the RA filter on letting search.
    More likely the people paying to advertise complained. If I suddenly started getting calls from RA tenants after stating not taking them I would complain and tell them I would refuse to pay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement