Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tori Amos @ Olympia Wed 8th May

Options
  • 01-05-2014 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi heading to this next week, i see the doors open for 7.30pm anyone have any idea on what time Tori Amos will be on stage, support acts etc, any info appreciated, :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Hi heading to this next week, i see the doors open for 7.30pm anyone have any idea on what time Tori Amos will be on stage, support acts etc, any info appreciated, :)

I'm going to the Cork gig so I'll be able to tell you about support act etc after it.

Do you happen to know if she's using a band on this tour or just herself with the Bosendorfer & keyboard ?

Hitting this gig sort of blind because her new album upon which this tour is based comes out AFTER the Cork and Dublin gigs. That's annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭RolandGoose

I am pretty sure this is a solo tour, with just Tori onstage.
    I have heard it said in the promotional interviews for Unrepentant Geraldines.

It is kinda annoying not been able to get familiar with the new material, the lead single sounds great tho, and she has no shortage of great songs in her back catalogue, so it should be a great night, and lets hope the new record is more of the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Thanks RolandGoose, any idea when she will start on stage...Just heading from work and looking to get food etc beforehand....If she starts at 7.30 etc? Thanks.... :)

right, very good gig last night in the Opera House.
    There was a support, a male & female couple with acoustic guitars sharing one mic, they did say who they were but I honestly couldn't make it out from their accent (English). Her voice was great, they played for 30 mins, started at 8 (as stated on the ticket).

At 9pm on the dot out walks Tori to a sold-out Opera House. The large gay man contingent taking up the first two rows were all jazz hands immediately. Tori obliged.

She opened with a track I presumed was off the new album (due to fairly silent crowd reaction).

She introduced her tour in a song, I've never seen her live before but you can really pick up her quirky sense of humour as she talks. Very energetic behind the keys and sounding stunning, her voice is top notch.

I loved the intense smiles she would throw at the crowd, once she just burst into a fit of smiles during an intro, I wondered had she made a mistake but I couldn't hear it, she has the knack to turn to the crowd and make you feel it's only you in the house that she is playing to.

I was always unsure about how many of her 'old' stuff she would play as I haven't been keeping up with a lot of her newer stuff (post Beekeeper:) ) of late but I was pleasantly surprised. She played plenty of old well known stuff such as:

(not in any particular order)

Baker Baker
    Caught a Lite Sneeze
    Pretty Good Year
    Crucify
    Bells for Her
    Silent All these Years
    Past the Mission
    1000 Oceans (as part of encore)

There were more but I must admit, I didn't recognise them, one was played with an organ and wow, stunning piece.

She spoke about it being the 20th anniversary of Under the Pink, no, she did not play Cornflake Girl ;)

She did a covers 'Lizard Lounge' section, as publicised on her website I believe. Songs such as Desperado (for all the gay men she announced), New Year's Day & Under a Blood Red Sky. There were more covers but I couldn't make it out, the lyrics were familiar but I couldn't place the song under the way she was playing it (sorry!!).

A very entertaining night, personally I would have liked to see a band behind her but Tori on her own is pretty good either way, her playing and her voice both not showing any of the miles on the clock.

The more intimate venues like the Opera House and the Olympia will be suited to this show. She brings a nice 'bricks' backdrop with her accompanied with some nice lighting. She uses some effects on her voice, a bit of echo mainly, nothing over-done. Sound in the Opera House was excellent as always.

Despite the requests for no cameras/flash photography there were some muppets flashing away, the staff were fairly strict and would be over to the offenders reminding them to put the camera down.
    Jesus, why do people feel the need to stick an electronic device between them and the real thing.

With encore she played for just under 2 hours.
    Anyone going to the Olympia is in for a treat.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭CorkFenian

Great review, much appreciated, thanks a lot run_Forrest_run :)

• Advertisement

CorkFenian wrote: »
    Great review, much appreciated, thanks a lot run_Forrest_run :)

no problem, enjoy the gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

The supporting act was

Trevor Moss & Hannah-Lou

They'll be with her for the next 7 weeks or so they mentioned

limnam wrote: »
    The supporting act was

Trevor Moss & Hannah-Lou

They'll be with her for the next 7 weeks or so they mentioned

yep, I got the 7 week think but you as you can appreciate, saying their names fast with their accents could be easily missed :D
    They were very good in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭limnam

yep, I got the 7 week think but you as you can appreciate, saying their names fast with their accents could be easily missed :D
    They were very good in fairness.

Yes they were very good.

BTW. She opened up with Parasol. The silence was because it's such an amazing song.
    Probably :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭horseburger

the website for the Olympia is usually good for including the times of shows.

Maybe they update the site, on the day of the shows, to include the times?

It had the times listed beforehand, for the Neil Finn gig last week.

http://www.olympia.ie/whats-on/tori-amos/

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    Yes they were very good.

BTW. She opened up with Parasol. The silence was because it's such an amazing song.
    Probably :-)

yep, I saw that later...bad of me not to have copped that one. Ah, she has loads of material :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭flasher0030

Great gig last night in The Olympia. To classify me as a casual fan is an understatement. I owned (and loved) Under the pink 20 years ago, and wife was listening to Little Earthquakes recently enough. Other than that, I knew no other songs before this week. Did a bit of pre-gig cramming – listening to songs that she played live recently. But she mixes the setlist up so much, it doesn’t matter.

Anyway, point is that it was a gig that you could enjoy immensely without knowing the songs or singing along to the words. It was beautiful. And had a lovely intimate atmosphere to it.

I’d love to know what the avid fans thought of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

^
    I thought it was excellent on Thursday.

A guy behind me was sneezing continuously for a few minutes and I nearly freaked out as I thought he might never stop.

Tori seemed very happy so that was great to see. She looks fantastic in glasses too - I didn't know she was wearing them before hand.

I guess for songs she has so many great ones she could spend another few hours and still wouldn't be enough time.

A second encore would have been amazing though .

Does anyone have the set list from thursday ?

InReality wrote: »
    ^
    A guy behind me was sneezing continuously for a few minutes and I nearly freaked out as I thought he might never stop.

I wonder was he related to the guy beside me tapping is leg for lengthy periods intermittently, causing all connected seats to vibrate (he wasn't even in time with the music:mad:!). The joys of sit down concerts eh.

Advertisement