Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

working on the tills

Options
  • 01-05-2014 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭

I work in spar as floor staff and am not on tills yet. Ive been here a year and have not yet asked to go on tills. I'm just scared i'd do something wrong or give wrong change. I what is it they count at the end of the shift when taking all the chaange from their tills.

Also if you worked on tills before, is it easy and would it be a good opportunity as regards for other jobs?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

It's very easy.

If the till doesn't tell you what change to give, just count upwards to the nearest multiple of 10 as you take the money out of the till.

So let's say the item costs you 69 cents and she gives you a euro.

69 + 1 = 70. (take out 1)
    70 + 20 = 90. (take out 20)
    90 + 10 = 100. (take out 10).

Another example:

Item is EUR 1.17 and you are given EUR 2.

17 + 3 = 20. (take out 3).
    20 + 50 = 70. (take out 50).
    70 + 20 = 90. (take out 20).
    90 + 10 = 100. (take out 10).

Let's say the item is 93 cents and the person gives you EUR 1.03. They do this so they don't get a pocket full of change. You just count up in multiples of 10s.

93 + 10 = 1.03. (take out 10).

Another example:

Item is 53 cents and she give you 1.03.

53 + 10 (63) 20 (73) 30 (83) 40 (93) 50 1.03. (take out 50).

Regards future career development, it is good if you want to work in retail.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

Don't be daunted by working on a till, all modern tills have a function to tell you how much change to give, which most retailers will insist you use.

If you're nervous, I suggest you go to your manager and ask if you can be given training during a quiet period when there is not so much pressure to be fast. It will make you look good too with your manager that you want to learn and progress in the business.

Good luck!

Advertisement