Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what are you keeping under your pillion seat?

• 01-05-2014 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Just curious is what are others keeping under your passenger seat ?
    Is there any essentials or musts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Just curious is what are others keeping under your passenger seat ?
    Is there any essentials or musts?
    This is what I have...
    • Standard toolbag with some small additions
    • Cable ties
    • Puncture repair kit
    • Cargo Net
    • €20 hidden somewhere on the bike just in case!

You might laugh about the €20 but it came in handy a few times when the shop's debit card machine wasn't working or didn't have one as I rarely carry cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

I dont have anything under my seat but a battery, but I have a side compartment instead and that houses:

Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge.
    Punture Repair Kit & Co2 Gas.
    Allen Key for my Seat.

I also have €500 hidden somewhere just is case!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Standard tool kit
    Wet pants
    Disc lock
    Chain and lock

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭the cats pajamas

I understand wetting your pants and putting them in there for the day, but are you not afraid the whole bike will stink if you leave them in there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Standard tool kit
    Puncture repair kit
    Wind up torch
    Stand for sidestand
    Analogue pressure gauge
    Right angle adapter for valve

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I have zero under seat storage under the rider seat and the pillion seat is bolted to the fender. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

standard tool kit
    Tyre gauge
    1.5 kg coke

I need to purchase a puncture repair kit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I'm not quite sure. I haven't taken the seat off since I bought the bike 9 months ago and installed an alarm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

standard tool kit
    Tyre gauge
    1.5 kg coke

I need to purchase a puncture repair kit

I always new you were stoned while riding Joe ya drug kingpin....that day in Kells it was not Freezing Fog eyes, it was stoned out of my head eyes!

1.5kg of COKE indeed. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,403 ✭✭✭positron

Standard tool kit.
    Schuberth SR1 clear visor (dark visor is 80% dark and no good once the light fades).
    Bungee net and cords.
    Disk lock, when not in use.
    Some rag.

All absolutely essential. I have been meaning to get a clear thin meter long plastic tube, just in case if I see another biker stranded out of fuel and if I have some in my tank I can quickly share a liter or so to get him/her to next garage. But I haven't found a cheap but quality pipe yet.

Question for those who keep puncture repair kit handy - do you also keep compressed air canisters too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

geez, Im envious of yer storage, Ive feck all..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    I also have €500 hidden somewhere just is case!

You planning on getting lucky on one of your spins :D:D:D:D

that pipe is a great idea, did you think of it yourself?

positron wrote: »
    Standard tool kit.
    Schuberth SR1 clear visor (dark visor is 80% dark and no good once the light fades).
    Bungee net and cords.
    Disk lock, when not in use.
    Some rag.

All absolutely essential. I have been meaning to get a clear thin meter long plastic tube, just in case if I see another biker stranded out of fuel and if I have some in my tank I can quickly share a liter or so to get him/her to next garage. But I haven't found a cheap but quality pipe yet.

Question for those who keep puncture repair kit handy - do you also keep compressed air canisters too?

Pipe is a great idea, may look for one myself now.

Yes the repair kit came with the canisters, three of them.
    $(KGrHqZ,!qIFHw37BOUEBR8Z8e!F!Q~~60_12.JPG

that pipe is a great idea, did you think of it yourself?

Yes, well from experience really.

Some 15 years ago I ran out of petrol on my way to pick up my brother from the railway station (his bike, had various issues) in remote rural India. I was left in the middle of the road with no streetlights, almost no passing traffic - pushing the bike in delightful moonlight (very safe place, no worries what so ever, other than pot holes and well, venomous snakes). Eventually another biker came by in his Yamaha RX100, pulled out a pipe and got the petrol flowing, offered me a cigarette, had a nice chat, couple of liters of petrol in my tank and he went his merry way - I tried my best to pay him but he wouldn't have any of it. I am not religious, but he must have had a halo over his head. :)

So yeah, that's my inspiration for this idea.

cool, post up if you find some suitable pipe, I think I'll carry some as well. :)

smoking beside open petrol tanks? health and safety wouldn't be impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

I understand wetting your pants and putting them in there for the day, but are you not afraid the whole bike will stink if you leave them in there?

Keeps knackers away from the bike

smoking beside open petrol tanks? health and safety wouldn't be impressed

Neither of us where wearing helmets. I was wearing something similar to to a sarong, tshirt and sandals. The roads had no markings and there weren't a traffic lights in the entire district, people used to dry hay on the road, children playing cricket on the road sides, cows freely roaming.. On the other hand we were riding 100-125 cc bikes and doing 60-70 kmph tops. Those were the days. :pac:

PS: I am surprised how much I remember about that night. He said he is a gold crafter working in Coimbatore, coming back home for the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »

How much and where did you get that?

How much and where did you get that?

Ebay or local bike garage I think they are around 20-25 euro mark, I got for free with a pair of shoes for the bird!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

More or less the same as other here, standard tool kits and puncture repair kit (BMW product).. If anyone is looking for piping, go to a pet store and ask for aquarium air line. It'll cost you a euro or two for a meter of the stuff, its very light and takes up little space.

If anyone is looking for piping, go to a pet store and ask for aquarium air line. It'll cost you a euro or two for a meter of the stuff, its very light and takes up little space.

Thanks, was wondering where I would find the right one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

cool, post up if you find some suitable pipe, I think I'll carry some as well. :)

Windscreen-washer hose does the job; and it's clear so helps avoid a mouthful. Buy it by the metre in a motor factors, cheaper than fuel hose.

I've seen a dedicated siphon hose in a marine chandlers. It has a ball valve on the input end. Jiggling the valve .... [easier to find a link than explain]. The benefit being you don't get a mouthful.

On the same topic I'll mention a tip I've posted before. The inner bag from a wine box is compact and handy for fuel emergencies. Only problem is it's difficult to find anyone who'll admit to drinking wine in a box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I picked up a siphon pump and 2 lengths of fuel line in Halfords. Hate belching petrol, devil juice is way worst, when siphoning as even with a clear pipe I still swallow a bit. Can only carry with the luggage on though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

On the same topic I'll mention a tip I've posted before. The inner bag from a wine box is compact and handy for fuel emergencies. Only problem is it's difficult to find anyone who'll admit to drinking wine in a box.

Shamed to say Ive done it a few times. Its hard to say no for 3 euro when your hard pushed :p

Ive only got my toolkit under my seat. But in my bag (which I nearly always have) I keep a puncture repairkit, allen key set and a multitool just in case. Also have a Hi-vis in there as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,060 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Varadero has the tool kit, cable ties, and some adaptors for charging devices off the optimate connector

Pan has none as it has the police hump back on and takes too long to get under. I am planning to keep some spare fuses in a box that i will velcro to the side of the hump

both bikes share 1 first aid kit, alarmed lock and Rok Straps

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,390 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

If you can get at the fuel tap/line you can drain some petrol into a... condom. Nice and compact and fits in your wallet :pac:

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Under my seat on the Dommie? An airbox,battery and the starting relay. There is no space under there! In the tiny little wheelie bin by the stator I have a spare key and one of these sets plus a 10,12,14 socket and sliding T-Bar 1/4" drive. Next thing I buy will be one of these , not cheap but extremely handy for repairs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »

No space under either seat for anything other than the small toolkit which came with the bike and a ulock.

Careful with those kits, I had to use one of them once when I got a puncture, but the bungs were useless, they'd dried up or something and wouldn't hold the air pressure for more than 5 mins.

Got a new set of bungs from a local garage and they worked a treat. Guy said they only have a lifespan of 6-12 months so if you buy a set and don't use it, it's almost useless after a few months which is a PITA.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Suasdaguna1

R.J's

Advertisement