Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

what are you keeping under your pillion seat?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

colm_c wrote: »
    . Guy said they only have a lifespan of 6-12 months so if you buy a set and don't use it, it's almost useless after a few months which is a PITA.

Good info! I wasn't aware that they had a lifespan. I have had to use them before and they worked perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 872 ✭✭✭P.K.M.

Just a telescopic baton....you know, just in case! :D :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Got the tool kit that came with the bike and the slim manual, no room for anything else.

Rented a Honda Nc750 (came out this year I think) for the practical exam yesterday. Had a storage compartment big enough for a helmet where the petrol tank usually is. Was stunned. Great bike by the way, though I imagine it could get boring quick smart. It's just very....sensible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

I just have a set of allen keys. Really must get a puncture repair kit too.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Toolkit and a chain and lock, going to France with the misses end of the month so it will then be boxers socks and anything else I can cram in!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

inchiuvatu wrote: »
    Toolkit and a chain and lock, going to France with the misses end of the month so it will then be boxers socks and anything else I can cram in!

Ya not getting panniers for the trip??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

Set of standard tools
    2 multi tools
    Puncture repair kit (the can with foam)
    One piece rainsuit
    Oxford seal overboots
    Spare pair of gloves
    2 pairs of overgloves
    Disc lock

Some of these go into backpack: rainsuit, extra gloves, overgloves, overboots, punture can

I never leave home unless I have all of these with unless its a beautiful day. I leave raingear at home then.

szatan84 wrote: »
    Puncture repair kit (the can with foam)

Had to use one once, it was useless for tubeless tires. I know of two other bikers who have had to use them before and they also found it useless... I would get the puncture repair kit discussed earlier on instead, also takes up less space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 183 ✭✭szatan84

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Had to use one once, it was useless for tubeless tires. I know of two other bikers who have had to use them before and they also found it useless... I would get the puncture repair kit discussed earlier on instead, also takes up less space.

Deadly, thanks a mill. Wanted something smaller so I can put under seat (can I slightly too big).

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

Besides the bike toolkit, I keep one of these under the seat, much better then messing with strips and glue etc.

stopngo.jpg

• Advertisement

KT10 wrote: »
    Besides the bike toolkit, I keep one of these under the seat, much better then messing with strips and glue etc.

stopngo.jpg

Are they not for punctures of certain size, can you use more than one plug in a puncture if its too big?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

KT10 wrote: »

stopngo.jpg

They are ment to be dangerous on bikes at high speeds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

aaakev wrote: »

Thats me out so......:eek::eek::eek:

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭inchiuvatu

Ya not getting panniers for the trip??

Have panniers and topbox also have a tank bag, but going camping for over 2 weeks and I still reckon I'll use the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭underwaterdog

Can just about get a cargo net and disc lock under the rear rack more so than the seat. There's a built in space for the tool kit that I've added a handful of cable ties to.

Always carry spare gloves, waterproof over trousers and spare tyre in a can in the top box, although reading here the can doesn't seem to be much use.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭dunner515

Toolkit, disk lock and the tax disc for the bike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

My rear fender and a few wires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

I carry the following on the Vespa:

GripLock Throttle Lock (very handy for around town)
    griplock-bmw-7001.jpg

Abus Big Chain

Tool Bag (spark plug, spanners, spare cables etc)

Cable Ties

Tax Disc

Waterproof leggings

2T Oil Bottle

Cargo Net

Hi Vis Bib for night driving...

Bottle of Lucozade!!

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Are they not for punctures of certain size, can you use more than one plug in a puncture if its too big?
    No, its single plug per hole, if the hole is bigger then the plug you may be in trouble, that said, its never happened me and the plugs are fairly malleable.
    I've never had a problem after plugging a rear, how high are we talking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

higher chance of a blowout at the plugged spot (already weak there, and plugs 'weight', and desire to vacate the tyre increases with wheel rotations)

only really meant as a stop gap, to get to a shop to have tyre removed and patched from the inside

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    higher chance of a blowout at the plugged spot (already weak there, and plugs 'weight', and desire to vacate the tyre increases with wheel rotations)

only really meant as a stop gap, to get to a shop to have tyre removed and patched from the inside

You are correct in "Theory" but my last tyre I had I got about 4 punctures in (PR2 rear tyre) and it was plugged 4 times. If inserted correctly they are fine, I would not plug a front tyre without a patch and if I did I would get it patched on the inside STRAIGHT AWAY.

Back tyre you are grand....no chances with the front, I dont anyway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

All my bikes have had almost no space under the seat, enough for a wallet maybe - so I never bother putting anything in there! My current one has the alarm wedged in one side, you could probably fit a disc lock in the other side at a push.

Tomohawk wrote: »
    I carry the following on the Vespa:

GripLock Throttle Lock (very handy for around town)
    griplock-bmw-7001.jpg

Where you get the grip lock mate.....and how much?

Handy for when I am going away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

positron wrote: »
    Standard tool kit.
    All absolutely essential. I have been meaning to get a clear thin meter long plastic tube, just in case if I see another biker stranded out of fuel and if I have some in my tank I can quickly share a liter or so to get him/her to next garage. But I haven't found a cheap but quality pipe ...

Go to any home brew or winemaking suppliers. They will have clear high quality tubing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,390 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Rosahane

I usually have.
    Standard OEM toolkit
    Small motorcycle toolkit with pliers etc.
    Cable ties
    Duct tape
    Leatherman
    Torx and Allen key set
    Puncture repair kit
    Waterproofs
    Spare gloves
    Torch
    Right angle valve thingee
    Puck for under side stand
    Tyre pressure gauge
    Plastic hose (used twice over the years) now kept in its own plastic bag :)
    Road atlas

Having hard luggage helps :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Wonda-Boy, Try Griplock or DataTool CrocLock (a rival company)... If I remember the original Grip Lock is about 65 euro from http://www.sip.de and the newer CrocLock is cheaper at about 30 sterling in the UK. Great device 'cos it locks the throttle shut and the front brake simultaneously, preventing wheel-away theft. Handy for popping into the shops and it's a very visible deterrent to passerbys.

Advertisement