Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long will a building contractors quote usually be valid for?

Options
  • 01-05-2014 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

Hi,

I am in the process of embarking on a renovation and extension project but cannot start that until my existing house is sold, as we wont have all the funds.

So I am wondering if we go ahead and get quotes form builders plus get a quantity surveyor to price up the job now how long will a builder stand over their quotes for, 3 months, 6 months etc.

Or would I be better just holding off getting builders to quote until my existing house at least goes sale agreed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭4Sticks

Best to wait or risk being seen as a spurious client if you are delayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭scwazrh

Why not ask some builders for quotes but tell them the truth that you wont be in a position to do anything for a while .We often meet customers to price jobs that they are only considering or thinking about in the future.Once they tell us upfront we give them a quick quote instead of a detailed Bill of quants.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

scwazrh wrote: »
    ...a quick quote...

Chocolate teapot?

I'd hold off and get prices when you are 'shovel ready'. If you want to know now what job might cost, get a quantity surveyor to do a budget costing for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Sarah3 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am in the process of embarking on a renovation and extension project but cannot start that until my existing house is sold, as we wont have all the funds.

So I am wondering if we go ahead and get quotes form builders plus get a quantity surveyor to price up the job now how long will a builder stand over their quotes for, 3 months, 6 months etc.

Or would I be better just holding off getting builders to quote until my existing house at least goes sale agreed?

I write on mine that they're good for 30 days. This doesn't mean they'll increase after 30 days, but there's no guarantee beyond that.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

Sarah3 wrote: »
    Hi,

Until a contract is agreed they are free to change them at any stage and are free to withdraw them at any stage before agreement. Price rises in materials are fairly regular at present and therefore few contractors will give a long price hold

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

kkelliher wrote: »
    Until a contract is agreed they are free to change them at any stage and are free to withdraw them at any stage before agreement. Price rises in materials are fairly regular at present and therefore few contractors will give a long price hold

....Indeed: I got a call this week for a house I priced on 18th May 2011 - 3 years ago.

He now wants to know if the price is still 'good' if he 'pushes the button' to build, now. :P

LOL - god bless his cotton socks...........:pac:.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭kkelliher

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....Indeed: I got a call this week for a house I priced on 18th May 2011 - 3 years ago.

He now wants to know if the price is still 'good' if he 'pushes the button' to build, now. :P

LOL - god bless his cotton socks...........:pac:.

I would think he has more than cotton in his socks with that approach....

DOCARCH wrote: »
    Chocolate teapot?

Dont know what you mean by this comment.

I said " A quick quote instead of a detailed bill of quants" .Where's the problem with that?

Quotations take time when you have to nail it to the sqm but if you're rounding it to the closest 5k for rough budget purposes it is then a "quick quote"

Actually if anyone at all is in need of a quick qoute there are a few here that I think are rather good

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Dont know what you mean by this comment.

I said " A quick quote instead of a detailed bill of quants" .Where's the problem with that?

What I meant was I would question the value of a 'quick quote'...it may give €X...but then when a detailed quote/BOQ is prepared, you may get €X+Y.

• Advertisement

You may even get

c1752bc10cb8dfcfd0615603c0bbb188.png

DOCARCH wrote: »
    What I meant was I would question the value of a 'quick quote'...it may give €X...but then when a detailed quote/BOQ is prepared, you may get €X+Y.

I would agree with that but the OP currently is not in a position to start works but is at a stage where they need to know what works will cost .

If someone contacts us and asks for a quote we will ask first what stage of the process are the at?If they say we are considering buying a house and refurbishing it and would like to know what it might cost, we will give a rough price of minimum cost , maximum cost and average price of similar work we have done over the last 12 months.This will give them an indication of whether they need 10 k or 100k .

If they say we own the property and know what we want or we have drawings , we will then offer a detailed quote.

If they say we are considering buying a house and refurbishing it and would like to know what it might cost, we will give a rough price of minimum cost , maximum cost and average price of similar work we have done over the last 12 months.

So for a job that may never exist get you indicate a price you can't stand over :)

Just kidding - of course that is useful and in line with what the OP should seek.

Advertisement