Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fastest Bus/Train to Galway on a Friday Evening?

Options
  • 01-05-2014 11:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭

Hi, as the thread title says, whats the fastest way of getting to Galway on a Friday evening from Cork City? I see Citylink only depart at 5pm or 7pm which is a bit inconvenient, surely a 6pm bus would suit more people getting out of work/college?

Im guessing with UCC there though there are probably private operators around, does anybody know whats the fastest? I can be anywhere in the city from 17:30 onwards. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Bus Eireann from Parnell Place 1725 and 1825 to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

4.5 hours though and probably costs a fortune, Bus Eireann are pretty much unusable these days, I thought there would be a Citylink alternative? Might just have to get a car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

I was working in Galway until recently and going up and down to Cork a lot on the Citylink. The Citylink is great in fairness and takes less than 3 hours (maybe 2.45 hours). It stops in Limerick city (Henry Street) for 5 minutes and that's the only stop. The BE one in comparison is a disaster as is stops in Mallow, Buttevant, Charleville, Limerick and Clare. It's always crazy busy too. If you buy your ticket online with Citylink you also get priority boarding.

I'd imagine if there was a UCC/Galway bus it would be stopping everywhere between here and Galway anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Car time I think, ah well, good to have one for touring the southwest anyway, never did it properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭Missyelliot2

Thargor wrote: »
    4.5 hours though and probably costs a fortune, Bus Eireann are pretty much unusable these days, I thought there would be a Citylink alternative? Might just have to get a car.

Better off hiring a car! It's a crappy road as far as Croom and equally awful when you get off the motorway at Gort to get to Galway.

4.5 hours with Bus Eireann is pretty standard, but way too long of a journey

• Advertisement
Advertisement