Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

are all watts equal ?

Options
  • 01-05-2014 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

I am not technically bright and even if have recently had to start learning a bit I still have a long way to go.
    I need to buy a computer with a good graphics and saw 2 computers that look very much like what I was looking for except that they only had only 400 W power for graphics cards: GeForce GTX 770 (basic requirement 600 Watts according to card maker). So i contacted the seller asking if it was possible to customise the computer with more power and received that answer:

"400 Watt PSU is from BeQuiet - is a very strong PSU and enough for this SystemNo Problem But we can make you a VS 650 Watt for the Same price from Corsair - OK ?? "

Is the seller right? are 400 watts from Bequiet the same as 650 Watts from Corsair?

My question might seem silly but please keep in mind that I am trying to learn and sometimes I just don't know where to start! Any answer would be really welcome as I must decide quite fast.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Yes, the card makers put a high basic requirement to cover themselves because of all the crappy PSU's out there. A quality PSU at 400Watts would really deliver 400watts and a bit more. Where as a crappy 600watt PSU might only deliver half that before going pop.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭awanderer

And would you say that BeQuiet is a quality brand and Corsair a crappy one? Or would you go for 650 Corsair over 400 BeQuiet?

No, both make quality PSU's. The seller is correct, he is just offering you a higher watt PSU at around the same price because of your concerns. Where are you getting the PC from and how much?

No, both make quality PSU's. The seller is correct, he is just offering you a higher watt PSU at around the same price because of your concerns. Where are you getting the PC from and how much?

I don't know if I am allowed to put links here.

It would be from Ankerman via Amazon (as my boss agreed to pay 25 % of price only if I order via Amazon.uk)

Would be Intel Core i7-4770 (for £ 929) or Intel Core i5-4440 (for £819) both with windows 7 pro 2tb

It seems madly expensive, specially as the exact same as the £ 929 but with a graphics card GeForce GTX 650 is £ 200 cheaper. But my boss will only pay the 25 % if it has a more up to date graphics card .

Any advice more than welcome though

awanderer wrote: »
    I don't know if I am allowed to put links here.

It would be from Ankerman via Amazon (as my boss agreed to pay 25 % of price only if I order via Amazon.uk)

Would be Intel Core i7-4770 (for £ 929) or Intel Core i5-4440 (for £819) both with windows 7 pro 2tb

It seems madly expensive, specially as the exact same as the £ 929 but with a graphics card GeForce GTX 650 is £ 200 cheaper. But my boss will only pay the 25 % if it has a more up to date graphics card .

Any advice more than welcome though

What's the PC going to be used for? It is very expensive. What's your budget?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

awanderer wrote: »
    And would you say that BeQuiet is a quality brand and Corsair a crappy one? Or would you go for 650 Corsair over 400 BeQuiet?

I had a BeQuiet PSU in my old system and it never gave an ounce of bother. However when I was researching the power requirements for the GFX card I had to take into account the amount of current in the differnt 'rails'' I think this was like the 12v and 16v rail or something. Not sure if this is till relevant to day but it seemed to be an important factor regarding powering the card and not just the overall wattage of the PSU.

What's the PC going to be used for? It is very expensive. What's your budget?

As per my contract I am not allowed to say too much about the job I buy the computer for: I suppose I can describe it as my boss did during my interview "it's a bit like in-game moderation except that it is not technically a game :D " . My problem is that I also work as a free lance doing translations and I plan on starting a computer course in september so that I will then be able to do more technical translations. My partner himself will use the computer for his business (a small guiding/tour company).
    My budget is about euros 1200 all included (monitor/pc/mouse and keyboard). It has to have windows 7 included and will have microsoft office installed on it (compliment of my boss). I don't know if it helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭moc moc a moc

The GTX 770 can eat up to 230W according to nVidia. I wouldn't risk the 400W PSU.

Advertisement