Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living with meat eating flatmates

Options
  • 01-05-2014 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

One of my flatmates eats bacon every day, it's disgusting, on a George Foreman grill, it's so horrible looking I didn't think it was in use when I first moved in. Even with windows open etc. the smell lingers for ages, it's sickening, anyone any ideas about getting rid of it without blasting air freshener everywhere?

I feel like a prude asking, but it's horrible and I thought people may have had experience of it?

I just moved in, and before, I lived with friends who were very conscious about leaving pots and pans and stuff that were used to cook animal, I suppose it's ok to say something?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

Both saying vinegar boiling in water here and here. I dunno, never tried, wouldn't you have the smell of vinegar then? I don't think I could live with meat-eaters again tbh, it's too hard, even when I let them knew I was veggie they were still constantly offering me food with meat in it. They just weren't getting it, idk. You could say something to him I suppose, if he's seems like a reasonable person :/

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

--LOS-- wrote: »
    even when I let them knew I was veggie they were still constantly offering me food with meat in it.

I hate when people do this! Fair enough if you (constantly) forget, but I feel that some people are just trying to rip the píss. Maybe it's just in my head though.

Also OP there's no harm in asking if you ask very politely and nicely. Don't make an issue out of it and apologize for any inconvenience. But to be honest, what can you ask them? "Can you not cook meat in your own house because I don't like the smell of it?" It doesn't go down too well... I'm not sure how to get rid of the smell of cooked meat, I googled it but no results have come up. lol time to invest in some Airwick!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

turnikett1 wrote: »
    I hate when people do this! Fair enough if you (constantly) forget, but I feel that some people are just trying to rip the píss. Maybe it's just in my head though.

Also OP there's no harm in asking if you ask very politely and nicely. Don't make an issue out of it and apologize for any inconvenience. But to be honest, what can you ask them? "Can you not cook meat in your own house because I don't like the smell of it?" It doesn't go down too well... I'm not sure how to get rid of the smell of cooked meat, I googled it but no results have come up. lol time to invest in some Airwick!

I never really know if it's a wind-up, if they just forget or they don't understand what it means, so I'm usually just like umm no thanks. I'm just kind of careful of making an issue out of something if I'm living with people, because you do still have to live with those people at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭smurke

--LOS-- wrote: »
    Both saying vinegar boiling in water here and here. I dunno, never tried, wouldn't you have the smell of vinegar then? I don't think I could live with meat-eaters again tbh, it's too hard, even when I let them knew I was veggie they were still constantly offering me food with meat in it. They just weren't getting it, idk. You could say something to him I suppose, if he's seems like a reasonable person :/

It's a she, and she is reasonable, I just don't understand people not being considerate of others. I'll try the vinegar, and say something about it. turnikett1. I'm not interested in asking her not too. I suppose I originally posted in anger, and was looking for some kind of magice potion. I have these little neutraliser things around the kitchen, they don't work.

Thanks for your advice

Advertisement