If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EURO FOR POUND SPEAKER PROMOTION - THIS WEEKEND ONLY ( FRI MAY 2ND-MONDAY MAY 5TH)

Options
2»

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,282 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

hearny wrote: »
    Just to let you know the playbar arrived and its an impressive piece of kit. The biggest problem with it is I am going to end up with Sonos stuff everywhere now.

I am thinking about getting a couple of surrounds (Cant justify the price of the sub yet, I live in a terraced house anyway so my neighbours would have me shot), I cannot find the required info on the Panasonic site and I want to be sure before I buy any more kit.

What I need to know is can my tv TX-P42GT60 output 5.1 DD through the optical out. My current setup has 3 HDMI inputs, dont use the tuners and I really dont want to have to get a switcher for audio cables and run another 3 optical cables.

So my main uses would be Netflix via smart TV, Apple TV, PS3 and horizon box. I've read that some samsung tv's dont output the Smart TV content in 5.1 DD through the optical but will do the rest. The only info I can get is on forums so I'm not sure of the accuracy of the info.

Can you shed any light on the situation.
    Hi Hearny.

I've dropped an email to our Panasonic rep to see if he can give me an answer, this way we can get the information from the source.

As soon as he gets back to me I'll post the outcome.

Here is his reply:
    The GT60 outputs 2channel audio via optical. To get 5.1 you will have to run directly from the source (eg Sky) to the Sonos equipment.

Hope this helps. Although not what you wanted to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

hearny wrote: »
    Just to let you know the playbar arrived and its an impressive piece of kit. The biggest problem with it is I am going to end up with Sonos stuff everywhere now.

I am thinking about getting a couple of surrounds (Cant justify the price of the sub yet, I live in a terraced house anyway so my neighbours would have me shot), I cannot find the required info on the Panasonic site and I want to be sure before I buy any more kit.

What I need to know is can my tv TX-P42GT60 output 5.1 DD through the optical out. My current setup has 3 HDMI inputs, dont use the tuners and I really dont want to have to get a switcher for audio cables and run another 3 optical cables.

So my main uses would be Netflix via smart TV, Apple TV, PS3 and horizon box. I've read that some samsung tv's dont output the Smart TV content in 5.1 DD through the optical but will do the rest. The only info I can get is on forums so I'm not sure of the accuracy of the info.

Can you shed any light on the situation.
    Hi Hearny.

I've dropped an email to our Panasonic rep to see if he can give me an answer, this way we can get the information from the source.

As soon as he gets back to me I'll post the outcome.

Here is his reply:
    The GT60 outputs 2channel audio via optical. To get 5.1 you will have to run directly from the source (eg Sky) to the Sonos equipment.

Hope this helps. Although not what you wanted to hear.
    Cheers for the info, 
    Like you said not what I wanted to hear but at least now I know.
    Bit of a let down for TV in that price range.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

'Cheers for the info, 
    Like you said not what I wanted to hear but at least now I know.
    Bit of a let down for TV in that price range.'

Apologies for that - unfortunately these days nearly all TV's only output stereo via the optical this is for several reasons including licencing and copyright - there are really very few TV's that will output 5.1 via optical - they will all downconvert the optical output into stereo ( in Panasonicland even the VT and ZT don't output 5.1)

Sorry we cant be more helpful - but if anyone tells you that the optical does output 5.1 I'd check it carefully in the first instance ..

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

You couldn't have been more helpful (and quick to respond) so appreciate that, its better to find out now then after I fork out for the rears.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.