Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The Muslim geezer dropped out because of the scantily clad women. It took him 11 days to notice them :pac:

He was never going to last, sure he took a turn going from the boat to the island day 1. Reckon the religion was just an excuse to not look like a wuss

• Registered Users Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

He was truely soft.They cant go that much longer with out food.Some suicedial pigs any time soon.

Magical net just appears.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Magical net just appears.

just thinking the same thing, how convenient was that :pac:

BS radar is going crazy right now watching this show

Wait till the little pigs start appearing like last year

• Advertisement

Wait till the little pigs start appearing like last year

if that happens one of them fools better eat the little oinkers and not keep them like pets, that was plain stupid

The fish if any will be rotting by the time they get out

skipper_G wrote: »
    just thinking the same thing, how convenient was that :pac:

BS radar is going crazy right now watching this show

They are suffereing no question,think the net appears then they go to the net and theres a dead shark.I was hoping there was going to be no fish/shark to see what ll they do but there good now for another while.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

Net mysteriously appears but you would be surprised at what ends up on Irish beaches like a can of cider!!. Only 1 shark caught on big net and no other fish? Will still watch the show but if they just admit - net placed on beach

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That auld one would do my head in if I was there. All she does is moan all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

nok2008 wrote: »
    Net mysteriously appears but you would be surprised at what ends up on Irish beaches like a can of cider!!. Only 1 shark caught on big net and no other fish? Will still watch the show but if they just admit - net placed on beach

Shark placed in net?

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

Having watched 3 episodes I really think it is missing something this year.

Maybe they have made it more difficult for them this year. The beach they are on is treacherous. Either the combination of the sexes hasn't worked or they are not doing enough to make it work.

- There are 0 traps set, the camp is a shambles there is no structure to how they are gathering water or food.

- it also seems the show is rushing along. Maybe there is no major incidents but it seems no progress is being made

I am sure it is not easy and I would think the production crew would add additional objects like the rope or net on the beaches for them to find. I dont mind that bit - they seem to need all the help they can get.

Regards the Army Girl who left I think they are really missing her, I am surprise the Muslim lad lasted so long after his break down on the first day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

What happened in Rizwan's mind on Day 11.

BdAhup-CcAAleRt.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

subsistence lifestyle is a constant grind. Water, food, fuel, you need to be working to keep yourself alive from sunrise to sunset. Which makes me suspicious/annoyed to always see someone lying around in the background when the camp is in camera. I'd say they have some basic rations tucked away, this is a Bear Grylls production after all!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Tabnabs wrote: »
    subsistence lifestyle is a constant grind. Water, food, fuel, you need to be working to keep yourself alive from sunrise to sunset. Which makes me suspicious/annoyed to always see someone lying around in the background when the camp is in camera. I'd say they have some basic rations tucked away, this is a Bear Grylls production after all!

I've always thought that. I don't mind so much, but why isn't the programme just honest?

I suspect as well that that safety boat is an awful lot closer than they let on. Afterall I think its commendable the way that guy (Rob?) had the presence to film himself as he nearly drowned.

The muslim guy thing (only just caught up) - well 0/10 for anticipation. Semi naked females is the only reason I'd be going on a desert island, otherwise I'd give it a miss. Still managed to have an arm round a bikini-clad wan after his little speech. He just wanted a kebab.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Convenient planted net to catch a convenient planted shark, it looked like the producers had even tied a bow in it for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Oh God their decision making is just bizarre, bordering on infuriating. We have nothing to eat here on this beach so let's scale some slippery rocks while racing against an incoming tide and see is there food on that beach over there.....

That was a bad fall by Paddy. Serious actually. The Doc that supposedly lives by the coast should know that attempting that trip was stupid.

Don't get me started on what they are doing that they call "fishing"!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Have they not set traps in that lagoon the women were getting their water from originally. Use the offal as bait?

It was uncomfortable viewing. Has the net not caught anything else, they didn't even mention it.

The chances of them catching a loose croc or wild pig even if they manage to see them are slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭ItsChecoTime

My favourite was when the turkey waltzed into camp when they happened to be about to launch a hunting expedition. Very convenient..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

That ending would've been much more shocking if we hadn't seen it in the opening segment of every single episode already. Whoever edited together that opening should be shot for ruining what should've been a great cliffhanger (excuse the pun)...

That said, I assume and hope that he's alright, because seeing someone seriously injured on reality television is not entertainment. It was horrifying enough hearing about his bloody bumhole for half an episode and then a fall like that - poor Paddy can't catch a break, so it would be great to see him be fine enough to carry on and not have to be medically evacuated from the experience.

How many episodes are left? Is next week the last one?

• Advertisement

moleyv wrote: »
    Has the net not caught anything else, they didn't even mention it.

The net was empty ever since Bear put the shark in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭nok2008

That was some fall all the same. The editing is bad as we saw that fall at the end credits of last weeks episode. Thought that this episode was going to be more about that rather than an ending part. Bad decision re cliffs and tide but i dont think just beacuase you live near the coast that you can read the tide and climb slippy rocks / cliffs.
    Right decision to at least go looking for food rather than waiting for something to land on their fire and pluck itself!!!

Presume cant be a life threatening fall or they would not be showing it but you never know these days in the push for ratings!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

I think they should eat Erika.

Few good mature rump steaks there :pac:

Edit: Just finished catching up - I'm cross that they ended the programme there. If he's seriously hurt, I won't watch anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭PIORUN

Thargor wrote: »
    Convenient planted net to catch a convenient planted shark, it looked like the producers had even tied a bow in it for them...
    yes it seriously looked planted there... its tail seemed to be tied into it...in fairness they have to do this stuff when the people on the island are too useless to catch their own food...the last thing they want is someone dying on the show!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Here's the cliff fall again, it's such a serious incident;

• Registered Users Posts: 3,253 ✭✭✭jackofalltrades

Fair play to Daniel for actually trying to do something, rather than slowly starving like most of the rest of them.
    I think the execution of his plan is where it failed.
    He should have quietly spoken to one or two of the other stronger members.
    Instead he threw it open to the floor and got a group that was too big, with peope who shouldn't have went.
    He should have probably went through the jungle as well.
    It's safer and you've more of a chance of bumping into possible food as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

Fair play to Daniel for actually trying to do something, rather than slowly starving like most of the rest of them.
    I think the execution of his plan is where it failed.
    He should have quietly spoken to one or two of the other stronger members.
    Instead he threw it open to the floor and got a group that was too big, with peope who shouldn't have went.
    He should have probably went through the jungle as well.
    It's safer and you've more of a chance of bumping into possible food as well.

I think Paddy would have gone on the excursion either way and still could have fallen regardless who else was in the group - he shouldnt have because of his illness the day before.
    You are right Dan's execution was where it all went wrong. He should have been more in control. There is no leader or plan in place at all. They have had to elect a leader in previous years when it was going pear shape.

Dan is like the king of bad luck, first expedition dude falls off a cliff. Second expedition hacks into his leg. He should stay in the camp

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

I'm sticking with it outta habit but it really is a p**spoor series. No big characters, no conflict, even the seemingly huge rescue drama of paddy was a damp squib and sorted 5 mins in to tonight's episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

even the seemingly huge rescue drama of paddy was a damp squib and sorted 5 mins in to tonight's episode.

That could have been looked at further in fairness. The editing seemed a bit weird. Last we saw of Paddy was in the rocky cove with one of the rescuers. Then they had a shot of the helicopter taking off from a very sandy looking beach. Possibly they didn't have the footage if they ended up moving him to get him to the helicopter but the whole thing could have been explained better if that was the case.

Dr Dan I am finding is one of the most annoying characters ever.

Advertisement