Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

SeaFields wrote: »
    That could have been looked at further in fairness. The editing seemed a bit weird. Last we saw of Paddy was in the rocky cove with one of the rescuers. Then they had a shot of the helicopter taking off from a very sandy looking beach. Possibly they didn't have the footage if they ended up moving him to get him to the helicopter but the whole thing could have been explained better if that was the case.

Dr Dan I am finding is one of the most annoying characters ever.

I was with you upto the last part. No one is worse than Insurance Knob.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Just a little off topic side note; Bear Grylls is bringing a live show to Dublin in October;
    Bear Grylls is bringing his live show 'Endeavour' to Dublin's 3Arena and Belfast's SSE Arena

We're not quite sure how this will work, but colour us intrigued...

Bear Grylls has presumably found some way to transition from 'TV adventurer/survivalist' to 'arena adventurer/survivalist' with a new show called 'Endeavour: Your Adventure Awaits' that he is touring across the UK and Ireland later this year.

Using groundbreaking technology, he promises to "take audiences on an immersive expedition across the globe, celebrating some of the greatest feats of courage, endurance and endeavour across the ages."

The blurb from the press release says: "Bear will guide the audience on a journey, uncovering true life stories of survival from frozen Antarctica and the cruel winds of Everest, to the humid jungle and shark-infested waters. The audience will be swept into the heart of the action, with worlds that appear and fade away before them, they will see the tiny detail of rock crumbling beneath Bear’s feet as he climbs and witness him seemingly swimming with sharks before their very eyes. Through dizzying aerial stunts and intimate storytelling, Bear will reveal the wonder of our planet and the important value of mankind’s indomitable human spirit."

It hits Belfast's SSE Arena on October 18th and Dublin's 3Arena on October 19th. Tickets are on sale from usual outlets, and the show is suitable for ages 8 and over.

Poor last episode - there seemed to be no sense of time in the editing. Then suddenly: time to go home everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Just a little off topic side note; Bear Grylls is bringing a live show to Dublin in October;
    Id rather walk around the docks for 2 hours...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Dónal wrote: »
    Poor last episode - there seemed to be no sense of time in the editing. Then suddenly: time to go home everyone!

Yes - very poor. Job bridge editing. All of that "We must help the men" - baloney. Not one dissenting voice. Not even the delightful Erika.

Now that I'd watch. Naked people trying to find food and shelter in Dublin - good luck with that one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Watched the after show last night, there is a celebrity version coming. And a US version will be shown an All4.

The editing was piss poor alright. I'm just wondering maybe the camera persons on the island might have contributed.

Also the explanation as to why they didn't catch fish, I thought that they ensured there would be enough to eat.

Last year they did well enough as they had a constant stream of fish coming once they worked out the best spots etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Dónal wrote: »

Yeah it seemed to end very suddenly. I thought there was 8 episodes in the series. It was only with about 15 minutes to go in this one that I realised there was only 6.

This year's bunch seemed to really struggle for food. The only steady stream of protein on the island is fish and if you can't catch fish you are going to be in trouble. They caught one small shark in the nets and practically nothing else. Maybe one other small fish that someone caught fishing off the rocks.

moleyv wrote: »
    Watched the after show last night, there is a celebrity version coming. And a US version will be shown an All4.

That's a repeat of the series that aired last year, it was typically American and quite disappointing.

I have zero interest in the celebrity version of this show, but this is the list of celebrities who are participating;

Aston Merrygold
    Dr. Dawn Harper
    Dom Joly
    Josie Long
    Karen Danczuk
    Lydia Bright
    Mark Jenkins
    Ollie Locke
    Thom Evans
    Zöe Salmon

The series will consist of four episodes, and will see 10 celebrities live on the island for 2 weeks. It airs October 2016

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

I have zero interest in the celebrity version of this show, but this is the list of celebrities who are participating;

Aston Merrygold
    Dr. Dawn Harper
    Dom Joly
    Josie Long
    Karen Danczuk
    Lydia Bright
    Mark Jenkins
    Ollie Locke
    Thom Evans
    Zöe Salmon

The series will consist of four episodes, and will see 10 celebrities live on the island for 2 weeks. It airs October 2016

I know 4 of them, better than I do for most Celebrity shows I suppose. I need to start reading the Daily Mail

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

I know 4 of them, better than I do for most Celebrity shows I suppose. I need to start reading the Daily Mail

Thats 2 more than i know, ive googled them tho and some very nice eye candy in there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭moleyv

Its a long way until October considering it must be already filmed. They showed footage in the after show for the normal series.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

The long awaited celebrity version of this starts tonight at 9 on C4

Oh nice, totally forgot this was on the way, hope we get a proper series and not Im a Celebrity fake sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

skipper_G wrote: »
    The long awaited celebrity version of this starts tonight at 9 on C4

I know Dom Jolly and that's about it....and you could easily tell he's the only 'celebrity'

Did it look like it's going to be a proper series or are they getting soft treatment?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

Bit of both, things were proper enough that they had to call for help twice in the first 4 days. Both times because they went out hiking without enough water.

The support team defo "steered" them toward to the water supply at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Apart from Dom Jolly, he was really funny, they came across as being a bunch of spoiled babies. That gobsh1te from JLS whinging about his voice :rolleyes: and that comedienne that insisted on going on the trek and then saying that she had a very very bad feeling about their predicament. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

With the regular show I don't really buy into the conspiracies that the crew leave food lying around for them to find but I have no doubt that a few KFC buckets and a box of Mars Bars will miraculously wash on the beach for this bunch of jokers.

The 1st time they went out looking for water was just ridiculous. Oh why don't more than half of us go that's a great idea! :rolleyes:

Dom Joly is trying to turn everything into a joke, that might rub people up the wrong way after they've started to starve a little bit. The hotel guy (Mark I think?) is a moany dope as well as JLS man.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

BaZmO* wrote: »
    that comedienne that insisted on going on the trek and then saying that she had a very very bad feeling about their predicament. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

She was right tho and they should have went back.

The Ollie chap has a great will to win but doesnt stop and think. He just barges ahead, not concerned he is going way off course.

It was a decent opening, and hopefully they will develop a good camp without too much interference but they will be well protected.

The Hotel guy Mark is just negative and doesnt appear to contribute anything except bad moral. Dom Joly is doing great to keep things ticking over!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

I forgot this was on Sunday. Anyone know if it's repeated.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭obriendj

I forgot this was on Sunday. Anyone know if it's repeated.

Did you try 4oD?

After watching the first 2 episodes, I really think they have let themselves down.
    JLS chap just walked away. Does he lose out on some of his fee for the charity?
    Dom, while good in the first episode at keeping spirits high, he has since become lazy and deserves to ousted as leader.
    Fair play to Essex girl who stayed despite the injury, hope that cut is well covered up.
    Hotel guy, is going to become enemy #1 when he is demanding the celebs to do things they probably dont want to.
    Zoe, get the turkey, stay until you get it!!

Still great viewing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

You could tell that the JLS guy didn't fancy it from the start. Was looking for a way out from the minute he set foot on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

You could tell that the JLS guy didn't fancy it from the start. Was looking for a way out from the minute he set foot on the island.

Strange that he was the one on Sunday Brunch promoting it on the day it was first aired.

I'm always amazed at the lack of research people do before going on these shows. Surely at the very least you watch some of the previous episodes to get an idea of what's involved.

I'm watching last night's episode, 2/3rd the way through. Cynic in me says this is completely staged

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭daisybelle2008

I'm watching last night's episode, 2/3rd the way through. Cynic in me says this is completely staged

I'd say you aren't far wrong. Those turkeys arrived in the nick of time, they looked pretty tranquil for wild turkeys too ;). Strange how they were all happy to waste time in the water when they are starving.
    Thought that selfies queen was a bit of a cow making Mark stay behind. He is a bit grumpy but on the right track.

I'd say you aren't far wrong. Those turkeys arrived in the nick of time, they looked pretty tranquil for wild turkeys too ;). Strange how they were all happy to waste time in the water when they are starving.
    Thought that selfies queen was a bit of a cow making Mark stay behind. He is a bit grumpy but on the right track.

I'm surprised the turkeys didn't come pre-cooked. It was just so dumb :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I'm surprised the turkeys didn't come pre-cooked. It was just so dumb :)

And it didn't show them plucking them either, just went from feathers to bald in a matter of seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭BettePorter

Monife wrote:
    And it didn't show them plucking them either, just went from feathers to bald in a matter of seconds.

Yes, I'm sure none of the zelebs have ever plucked a bird before so surely showing who was chosen / chose to do it would be good telly. Not to mention filming them actually doing it.

• Advertisement

I see Channel 4 advertising the new series, I didn't see a date yet but the format features two groups (young people & older people)

Advertisement