Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,946 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Brilliant news, loads of good tv at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Some details on the new season;
    Channel 4 confirmed last year that The Island would be back for series 4 in 2017, with host Bear saying: "There will be another series, which is fantastic. It's amazing, it's inspiring - and total respect to what the contestants go through."

Channel 4 has yet to confirm any official start date beyond announcing this week that the new series is "coming soon". If we don't get to see The Island back on TV later this month (April), it's almost certain to have its premiere air date in early May. The first series launched on May 5.

While no names have been confirmed yet, it has been revealed that The Islands with Bear Grylls' cast for season 4 will this year feature a generation divide.

This year's 16 castaways will be split in to two groups - the young and the old, and made up of all genders.

The show will examine which ages cope best with the tough conditions, although the rival sides are likely to merge later in the show.

Trailer;

https://twitter.com/TheIsland/status/849300285679779840

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Start date confirmed as Sunday April 23rd 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭DANNY2014

Looking forward to this season... Be interesting to see which group does better... The older stock might be capable of going hungry for longer and not be as fatigued (food wasn't all that plentiful in there youth) so they might have a slight advantage compared to the younger generation who have probably always grown up with food in the cupboards...

I also think the elders will more than likely have more get up and go in them while the younger crowd will more than likely think of it as a holiday and just hang around all day moaning instead of hunting etc...

That's the comparisons i can think of...

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Looking forward to this season... Be interesting to see which group does better... The older stock might be capable of going hungry for longer and not be as fatigued (food wasn't all that plentiful in there youth) so they might have a slight advantage compared to the younger generation who have probably always grown up with food in the cupboards...

I also think the elders will more than likely have more get up and go in them while the younger crowd will more than likely think of it as a holiday and just hang around all day moaning instead of hunting etc...

That's the comparisons i can think of...

I'll be happy enough as long as there's no magic turkeys this time.

• Advertisement

Was it two years ago young piglets arrived in the women's camp and to me they didn't look like wild pigs... that annoyed me i have to say but all in all its an enjoyable show...

DANNY2014 wrote: »
    Was it two years ago young piglets arrived in the women's camp and to me they didn't look like wild pigs... that annoyed me i have to say but all in all its an enjoyable show...

Yeah the piglets that they befriended and didn't want to eat :pac: I do enjoy the show on the whole, but more for the dynamic of the group than it's realism

The piglets that were so unused to island life they used to wander into the fire and get burned :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Thargor wrote: »
    The piglets that were so unused to island life they used to wander into the fire and get burned :D

Yea they wouldn't kill the piglets but they found another pig passed out and beheaded it on the spot, they where delighted with them self's they carried it home and the stick broke. I was in stitches laughing, was nearly as bad when then were weighing them self's and high fiving each other with how much weight they lost and them literally starving.
    I'm going to watch this again, christ it couldn't be as bad as eden that show was infuriating at times.

Just caught the first episode, yer man Ben the gobby bloke is such an annoying prat. The dynamics of the groups have been fairly interesting so far, will continue to watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Olive Oil just shows up, let the starve I'd say.

Caught up with the latest episode, and it just annoyed me no end. The neck of Jane starting the vote, and who made the stupid auld one Queen anyway. If I was Phil, I would have stayed and moved off to start my own camp.

And in the trailer for the next episode it appears that
    Jane and her lackey have decided that it wasn't just Phil they hated but the entire group, and are going off on their own
    . That just annoys me even more.

At this point I'm seriously contemplating giving this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah the woman that said she hates bullying decides to carry out the mother of all bullying acts.

I'm surprised he accepted the decision and even more surprised that the production crew accepted it too.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah the woman that said she hates bullying decides to carry out the mother of all bullying acts.

I'm surprised he accepted the decision and even more surprised that the production crew accepted it too.

Yeah she mentioned that a few times as well, such a hypocrite. I'm not surprised there's been a fair bit of reaction on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,550 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Wouldn't be surprised if it was staged. Just seems beyond ludacris something like this would have happened or be allowed happen. The Olive oil thing isn't very believable either

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Yep the two wagons take a personal dislike to someone and orchestrate a vote to get rid of him. Sure sounds like bullying to me.

Very surprised he accepted it given it was only a 9-6 majority. Surely enough allies there to stay and mend a few bridges.

Having said that I'm sure he would have wrecked my head if I'd been there.

I noticed they've reused footage of the lightning from previous series. I know this shouldn't annoy me, but it does!

Dónal wrote: »
    I noticed they've reused footage of the lightning from previous series. I know this shouldn't annoy me, but it does!

Not the only thing that's fake on this show, we've seen it all from magic turkeys that wander into camp and basically cook themselves to the olive oil surprise 'washing up' on the beach

Dónal wrote: »
    How did you work that out?

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭milehip

Karen thought her role on the island would be a 'ray of sunshine'
    Delusions of adequatency methinks.

• Advertisement

How did you work that out?

In a previous series there was one very distinctive lightning shot in terms of the shape it made as it arced across the sky. They reused it the same episode. Then I saw it again this series - twice in the same episode too.

If I go full cynic mode, I'd question if it was recorded on the island at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭bobo the clown

Sceptical of the (sedated) caiman that appeared in their path.

Sceptical of the (sedated) caiman that appeared in their path.
    I was sceptical of the same thing that happened last year but it turned out they'd caught an indigenous saltwater crocodile or something like that that they weren't supposed to kill but who knows, at least they didnt find an "abandoned hunters camp" with tins of beans wedged in the trees...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I was sceptical of the same thing that happened last year but it turned out they'd caught an indigenous saltwater crocodile or something like that that they weren't supposed to kill but who knows, at least they didnt find an "abandoned hunters camp" with tins of beans wedged in the trees...

Last year the Producers dumped a crocodile into a lagoon there. Someone spotted that type wasn't indigenous to the area so it proved it was dumped.
    It also turned out that the thing was on an protected species list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

While tampering like that isn't ideal and raises concerns over where production influence ends I don't see why any of the above claims would strongly affect someone's appreciation of the show.

Fair enough if it means if it raises skepticism to a level that takes away any pleasure.

Maybe I'm too used to reality TV at this stage that I've learned to accept all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

Every episode Bear mentions that "he's ENSURED there's enough food on the island".
    I always read that as they've gone in as an experienced search party and scoured the island, made sure there's enough veg to eat and " topped up" the animals if needed.

I watched the surviving the island today and spotted two people who I'd never seen before, I was like, who the fcuk are they? Where did they come from. The camera people were on more than them.

.red. wrote: »
    I watched the surviving the island today and spotted two people who I'd never seen before, I was like, who the fcuk are they? Where did they come from. The camera people were on more than them.

Snap

For me this year wasn't as good... The old versus younger generation didn't pan out the way I thought... It was kinda a bit boring as in seen it all before...

Way forward for next year I would like to see a couple's the island... Be interesting to see how that would work out... (More breakaway groups, massive arguments between couples etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

S.M.B. wrote: »
    While tampering like that isn't ideal and raises concerns over where production influence ends I don't see why any of the above claims would strongly affect someone's appreciation of the show.

Fair enough if it means if it raises skepticism to a level that takes away any pleasure.

Maybe I'm too used to reality TV at this stage that I've learned to accept all this.

They might have changed tact but last year, Bear's OTT narration was always stating that this about "survival" but it's not really it's about trying to make good tv, so they'll throw them a bone every now and then. He also kept emphasising that the girls last year were at risk of being taken off the island due to health concerns as they weren't eating enough. They ended up coming on with food and medical supplies. That right there should have finished the series. If your premise is "surviving an island" then this isn't the show for it.

I'll caveat though by saying I haven't seen this season, but from reading through it looks like its the same stuff again.

In the end I skimmed the last two episodes rather than watch the whole lot.

It's the exact same show as last year, insert bunch of randomers onto Island ensuring you have at least three insufferable ****sticks in the group and then watch them do survival wrong. "It's stopped raining, we have no food so let's waste what little energy we have left on taking down the tarp instead of finding food, thus leaving us with no food and no shelter" :rolleyes:

As for the magic turkeys, crocs, pigs, etc; I accept that the producers may have put extra wildlife on the island beforehand, but not when the animals conveniently 'wander' into their camp / path. Next series the magic turkey will probably pluck itself and maybe do a nice few roasties on the side when it's done cooking itself.

At this stage it's more like a weight loss camp than a TV show. Unless the next version features some Hunger Games style death matches or the island is populated by glamour models I'm not bothered to watch it again.

• Advertisement

I was thinking about this today and maybe whats needed is an incentive system? Maybe last man standing wins 100k with a doctor there to pull people out when they've gone as far as they can. It would encourage hoarding/selfish behaviour and other entertaining things like that. As it is they're not surviving, they're sitting around burning up body fat they brought in with them, its not really survival.

Advertisement