Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

That's an entirely different show though. Literally. "Alone" on the history channel is much more closer to what you guys want/are describing. Although individuals compete in isolation as opposed to as a group.

The Island isn't interested in actual survival. It's interested in mining drama from reality TV archetypes placed in an unfamiliar environment and they're more than happy to manipulate the environment if it suits them.

There were contestants in the last episode that I'd never even seen before. For all we know they nailed the survival skills aspect of the show but they were left on the cutting room floor.

I think the producers would have liked to have gotten a lot more from the young/old dynamic but it was pretty much irrelevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

S.M.B. wrote: »
    That's an entirely different show though. Literally. "Alone" on the history channel.
    How have I never heard of that! :eek:

This looks great thanks, love survival shows, my fav genre by a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Homesick Alien

Yeah it was probably the least enjoyable series so far. More sitting around fainting than usual. I don't mind if they're putting wildlife on the Island though. In the end it has to be someway entertaining. Watching them starve nd cry is not entertaining. However that caiman hardly blinked when they hooked it. Normally the mandatory caiman kill is a lot more dramatic. Seems like they edited a lot out when they realised how sedated the croc looked.

Does anyone know who died in your man's family? Hoping it wasn't immediate family. Very sad regardless. Seemed like the soundest lad on the island.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I see there's a new Celebrity version starting next Tuesday August 29th @ 9:15pm on Channel 4.

10 celebs taking part are >
    RJ Mitte - Breaking Bad actor
    Iwan Thomas - Olympian & broadcaster
    Jordan Stephens - Actor & Rizzle Kicks singer
    Mark Watson - Comedian
    Ryan Thomas - Actor from Coronation Street
    Lucy Mecklenburgh - Former TOWIE star
    Sharron Davies - Olympian & TV presenter
    Melody Thornton - Former Pussycat Doll
    Shazia Mirza - Comedian & writer
    Sara Kayat - TV doctor

Jaysus Breaking Bad didnt do much for his career did it?

• Advertisement

Anybody else watching this? Iwan Thomas already calling himself the Alpha. I have him pegged to be the tosser of the group. There's always at least one.

My wife after seeing him for 10 seconds: "he looks like he's the prick" :D

There must be bear grylls bingo out there - he's already mentioned "...but they'll have to find it, track it, and kill it.".

Didnt know it had started, thanks.

Dónal wrote: »
    My wife after seeing him for 10 seconds: "he looks like he's the prick" :D

There must be bear grylls bingo out there - he's already mentioned "...but they'll have to find it, track it, and kill it.".

Your wife is right!
    You don't have to tell her that by the way :D

Jordan seems a bit thick. "It smells moist"
    Yep that's how you find water........dope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Strange how none of them know how to distille water.

Walter Jr. seems like a bit of a spacer. I like him though, has a positive energy which is essential in a group situation like that.

3 Days and still no fire that should have one of the first things to sort out.:)

Jeff2 wrote: »
    3 Days and still no fire that should have one of the first things to sort out.:)

Nope Iwan wanted them all to faff around making an apartment block for the island's termite population instead. Because he's an alpha don't ya know. Olympic tosser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Ah, I forgot this started tonight.
    I'll have a look tomorrow and report back, hate being behind :(

skipper_G wrote: »
    Nope Iwan wanted them all to faff around making an apartment block for the island's termite population instead. Because he's an alpha don't ya know. Olympic tosser

I wouldn't be a team player in this at all.

Sort out fire and water then camp.
    Charge others to use it paying food.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Just watched it. Iwan is such a dope. So desperate for people to like him for doing manly things rather than doing clever things. Bar finding the beach on the first day all his decisions have been disastrous. Even his little pep talk to the group resulted in him insulting one of the girls.

Do none of these people ever watch previous shows? Water, fire, shelter, food.....in that order are always the essentials. Why don't they practice making fire before they go?

Haven't watched it yet, but when I was a kid we started fires without matches.

See we learned from watching old cowboy and Indian movies :)

Try learning that nowadays with an app on your phone when you have no signal

In fairness, you wouldn't need an app to start a fire if you had a Samsung Galaxy, you could just use the actual phone!

BaZmO* wrote: »
    In fairness, you wouldn't need an app to start a fire if you had a Samsung Galaxy, you could just use the actual phone!

*puts on nerd glasses*

Actually that's a note 7 you need;) :)

• Advertisement

deco nate wrote: »
    Haven't watched it yet, but when I was a kid we started fires without matches.

See we learned from watching old cowboy and Indian movies :)

Try learning that nowadays with an app on your phone when you have no signal
    1) download kindle
    2) download one of the hundreds of books related to camping/survival/fire making
    3) read any time regardless of signal

Yeah, learning was so much easier/better in the old days...

S.M.B. wrote: »
    1) download kindle
    2) download one of the hundreds of books related to camping/survival/fire making
    3) read any time regardless of signal

Yeah, learning was so much easier/better in the old days...

It was, learn by doing/not looking at a phone in times of need. But you keep on keeping on.... stupid post.

Good luck with the battery on your smartphone a week in...

Fair enough. I somehow read your original post as some rant against the ability for youngsters to educate themselves in the modern age but you clearly meant that you spent your time doing stuff off the back of watching things on TV/Movies where youngsters today might not.

Perfectly valid point. I obviously had some other grudge on my mind as I read your post.

Anyway, back on topic.

The Island delivers on casting the same reality archetypes who fall into the exact same traps every season.

Alpha Male who craves the leadership role but doesn't really have a clue what he's doing because he never watched the show.

Tick!!!

Lol.

Sorry bout my post, but I was thinking of.. .*if you end up on an island from water *plus if water proof phone.. .... Anyway.yea kids are better going outside than messing about phones, they will always learn more in life. Maybe that's why all the big(IT) boys are sending there kids to.. . Ahh **** it, back to the island....

#wegotoffourasreanddidit:)

Can't believe they didn't listen to rj, that's a big lose.
    Muppets

They're all idiots, spent the first few days running around full of piss and vinegar with no discernible plan of action. Following the whims of the few so called alpha's, they couldn't even start fire. They had to call the support team to START FIRE! How ridiculously inept.

Aside from that they also managed to lose RJ but Iwan is still there, he'll save them all surely! Until he collapses into a heap having expended all his energy for no results that is. Still the group tosspot.

Also magic pineapples :D almost sure I saw a price tag still on one

Just got to the bit with the croc......I am genuinely disappointed nobody got eaten. Their method of choice was enough to give a Health and Safety officer nightmares. Would have made much better telly with a minor crocodile incident

This has got to be scripted.
    People can't be that stupid.

Also last they said last week Ryan ex coronation street actor.?
    Don't post that in the Corrie thread with out spoiler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Handy one. The group are eejits and can't find food, what happens? They find a large, fully intact fishing net :D

• Advertisement

Liamalone wrote: »
    Handy one. The group are eejits and can't find food, what happens? They find a large, fully intact fishing net :D

Finding a fishing net on an Island is not that surprising tbh. Not being able to catch a single fish when they are literally jumping out of the water however is a whole other level of stupid.

Advertisement