Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,959 ✭✭✭Liamalone

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Not being able to catch a single fish when they are literally jumping out of the water however is a whole other level of stupid.

That was unbelievably bad lol

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

I've only caught up with the latest episode, so a few thoughts:

Iwan talking about emulating Rambo sums him up remarkably well. Such a sap. Also the carrot :rolleyes: he comes back like he found a five course dinner ffs, no wonder the group were underwhelmed.
    Sharon's comment when she was leaving made no sense. "I'm a Mum first and I'm in the wrong place". Such a cop out of an excuse, you can't cope but you lasted to a point which is an achievement. Don't cheapen it with excuses.
    Jordan gone for personal reasons, another cheap excuse which translates to 'I'm so hungry and tired and I miss my nice life' no loss there.
    The only one who had a decent excuse to leave was Shazia and she stayed and was out trying to catch fish at least, while the others stood around watching. Fair play to her for sticking it out and for catching a bit of dinner in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I couldn't believe it when Mark didn't react to the school of fish that were so close to the shore, he just stood there dumbfounded. At least Shazia tried to do something, but Christ if you were starving and seen your dinner so close wouldn't you just run towards it and at least try to catch something?

Iwan is just an idiot, giving a motivational speech about they need to crack on with things, then falls asleep five minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

"I've ensured that the island has enough..."

Oh f*ck off, we heard you the first, second and third time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

S.M.B. wrote: »
    "I've ensured that the island has enough..."

Oh f*ck off, we heard you the first, second and third time.

But they've got to
    Find it
    Catch it
    And kill it....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Even Sara Kayat prancing around in a bikini can't extricate this from being the one of the dullest series yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭redandwhite

Very poor now. Run its course I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ive given up tbh and this is my favourite genre of tv. They need to use ordinary people who'll give it a proper go with a sprinkling of d1ckheads to get the hate and the drama flowing, maybe a prize system in place to provide a bit of encouragement and staying power aswell. These "celebs" are in it for a bit of publicity and nothing else. I know its considered cool to pretend not to recognise Z-listers but seriously who are these people? Walts son from Breaking Bad and a couple of others, who are the rest? An Irish programme could scrape up more "celebrities".

If you want proper survival seek out Alone on History channel, you should find it on Dailymotion or any of the streaming sites. No bullsh1t, no support, they're dropped in the wilderness and the last man standing gets a million dollars. New series of Survivor in a few days to look forward to aswell.

I mean these are a hugely inept group of people. 3 weeks and still sleeping on the ground. No wonder Melody went off and made her own bed. By now I would have killed Iwan at least, I hate that guy.

Also they were making a big deal about making a bed for Mark and then they persuade him to leave. They are so clueless and directionless.

It's a chore to watch at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Jeff2 wrote: »
    This has got to be scripted.
    People can't be that stupid.
    It must be! Ok, they're "celebs" but still, there must be at least one wise one in the bunch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Mark Watson has said on twitter that he was told by the medical staff that he had to leave even though he was determined to stay. Fair enough given the state he was in but they also made him film a bit where he said he was leaving so they could use it in the final edit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

I'd well believe but I would have thought they could have mined as much drama out of him being pulled from the island as opposed to it being his decision.

Odd choice.

Ah, electrical storm, time to bring back the stock footage of lightning going across the sky as shown on previous seasons.

Just spotted a coming soon trailer for the new series of this on C4. Didn't see a date however

Brilliant news, although last season was a bit of a dud...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

skipper_G wrote: »
    Just spotted a coming soon trailer for the new series of this on C4. Didn't see a date however

Is it a celeb version for Stand up 2 Cancer?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Is it a celeb version for Stand up 2 Cancer?

No it's the regular version that will be airing shortly. This years twist appears to be a 'rich v poor' teams dynamic.

Low quality version of the advert;

This is back Monday April 2nd. Saw an ad for it on C4

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Not one likeable person featured on it so far, far too stereotypical. To be fair at least some members of both groups were productive and got working on starting a fire and building a shelter when they have the energy to do so. Glad they split as the lazy people within each group won't be able to hide away. Decent enough episode, plenty of tension within each group to make it watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I wonder do they use the same Island each time? If they do, it would be easy enough to make a rough map of it from watching previous series.
    I agree the characters (or the editing) are very stereotyped. Mr “cheap wine, 20 pound a bottle” vs “gypsy from the scrapyard”. Looking forward to rest of the series though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭.red.

I wonder do they use the same Island each time? If they do, it would be easy enough to make a rough map of it from watching previous series.

They use a different island but I think their all within a few miles of each other. Think the departure island/where the rescue team are is the same place every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

It's funny the way he described them..

"The wealthy team are making their way to the beach"
    "Meanwhile the team who make less than the average industrial wage are close behind".

I reckon not many will make it to the end and Grylls will go on about the importance of staying together as a team. Really though they were never put on the island to become a team, no doubt they were selected to stay divided according to their class.
    I bet he could have chosen a different group of individuals in the same wage bracket who would have pulled together.

Stealing the shelter though... that was jolly rotten form.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Not one likeable person featured on it so far, far too stereotypical. To be fair at least some members of both groups were productive and got working on starting a fire and building a shelter when they have the energy to do so. Glad they split as the lazy people within each group won't be able to hide away. Decent enough episode, plenty of tension within each group to make it watchable.

Yeah there was a wealth of unlikeable people in both groups. I wonder how many will actually reach the end considering there are quite a few lazy and/or pampered people there. Also I really wanted the raft to sink at the end, sneaky sneks deserved it

Who wants likeable people on the island? :D

Apart from Lauren that is:

lBw1pLq.jpg

homer_simpson_drooling_by_dondrug-d6h081a.jpg

I member Lauren <3

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

These guys are going to struggle badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

my gawd, is there a more unlikeable creature on the island than Ben?

Felt awful for James in this episode too - i for one fecking love Lilt

Just catching up with this. Yer man James seems a bit socially awkward but Holy cow I feel so bad for the guy. How was it his fault the fire went out, did he do a rain dance.

The working class group have a few lazy ones in there, but fair play to the vegetarian guy. Killed a snake for the greater good.

Edit: and just like that he's gone. And them 3 lazy plebs just not bothered with anything. Phil and Laura should mutiny and leave them with no fire to join the other group

Oh my god!!! Just got to the gift of yucca bit.
    Them 3 are horrible ungrateful ********* let them get eaten by crocs or sharks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They really aren’t doing anything to dissuade the myth of the feckless poor, and in particular the overweight and lazy feckless poor.

Advertisement