Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

BaZmO* wrote: »
    They really aren’t doing anything to dissuade the myth of the feckless poor, and in particular the overweight and lazy feckless poor.

I dunno , I don't really trust the editing 100%. Also there are 2 of that group that are very motivated.
    Similarly there are probably some in the wealthy group you could describe as idle rich

• Registered Users Posts: 24,217 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I wonder is the decision to leave the groups on the Island during the rainy season a deliberate "softening" of the survival challenge?

I'm sure trying to weather night's outdoors in the storms can be utterly miserable but the rain provides the groups with plenty of drinkable water (that doesn't require boiling even if the fire does go out) and makes the sun-stroke seen on earlier seasons less of a risk?

Thought the attitude to James was awful and can't see how the fire going out was deemed his fault... I'd personally warm to guys like that - I'd share his fascination with words and etymology

Sleepy wrote: »
    I wonder is the decision to leave the groups on the Island during the rainy season a deliberate "softening" of the survival challenge?

I'm sure trying to weather night's outdoors in the storms can be utterly miserable but the rain provides the groups with plenty of drinkable water (that doesn't require boiling even if the fire does go out) and makes the sun-stroke seen on earlier seasons less of a risk?

Thought the attitude to James was awful and can't see how the fire going out was deemed his fault... I'd personally warm to guys like that - I'd share his fascination with words and etymology

In the clips they carefully edited in some slapstick frivolous music to portray him faffing about the beach and cracking jokes to himself like mr. Bean when he was supposed to be looking for termite mounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I dunno , I don't really trust the editing 100%. Also there are 2 of that group that are very motivated.
    Similarly there are probably some in the wealthy group you could describe as idle rich

Well if the heaviest one actually did anything it might show her in a better light.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,646 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Phil: "Oh my god a fishing net!"
    Laura: "That's amazing"

Me: Nope I think you'll find that's
    tenor.gif?itemid=6242872

• Advertisement

What a bunch of plonkers, they can't find food on a big island so they decide the wisest course of action is to sail to a small one on the world's crappiest raft in the hopes they find food there? And why not have the overweight one swim there for the craic like. Yes this is perfectly sane and logical. If that's was real they'd all be dead already.

What a bunch of morons they sent out this time.

It's lashing rain and we're starving. I know: let's go for a 90 minute round-trip hike to replenish our water supply instead of rigging up some leaves to direct pure drinking water which wouldn't need boiling into the jerrycan. It's not like rainy weather is great for fishing. :rolleyes:

Anyone as fat as that girl was never going to survive on the island. She could hardly stand up without getting out of breath.

The timing of the fishing net and those birds was mightily convenient. I really am beginning to wonder if the production team are "covertly" assisting the survivors at this point.

Speaking of the production team, have the safety team ever been contacted as much by a group as the rich team this series? They were on the radio to them 2/3 times this week.

Sleepy wrote: »
    What a bunch of morons they sent out this time.

It's lashing rain and we're starving. I know: let's go for a 90 minute round-trip hike to replenish our water supply instead of rigging up some leaves to direct pure drinking water which wouldn't need boiling into the jerrycan. It's not like rainy weather is great for fishing. :rolleyes:

Anyone as fat as that girl was never going to survive on the island. She could hardly stand up without getting out of breath.

The timing of the fishing net and those birds was mightily convenient. I really am beginning to wonder if the production team are "covertly" assisting the survivors at this point.

Speaking of the production team, have the safety team ever been contacted as much by a group as the rich team this series? They were on the radio to them 2/3 times this week.

I've seen everything from magic fishing nets to turkeys practically walking into camp and killing themselves. I have no confidence that the production team have stayed out, it's about as authentic as a 30 euro note at this stage but still worth watching for the group dynamics.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

It's not really a "Survival Show" it's more of a "Starving Show"

The production team admit that theyplant stuff on they island in the about section. Especially after cayman-gate in season 1.

In fairness the island isn't exactly that big to sustain a higher up the food chain ecosystem. Alsoif there were such an ecosystem they'd have to justify destroying it.
    Bear says "I've ensured that they have enough food and water to survived.

You have to park the 'happenstance' at the door.

The best one is the men vs women . The lads all wasted away to sticks but the women's body fat sustained them enough to keep going.

I get from Bear Grylls that over all determinant of survival is strength in numbers and teamwork. If they stay there long enough and stay moving you'll be rewarded. Lie down and give up then Grylls will get rid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,931 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jaysus the fat one on the poor team 3 years ago, she switched from a swimming instructor to an office job, not a good decision:

kI3y0qP.png

Those guinea fowl were pathetic, do you honestly think birds that were native to an environment like the Island would be hopping around all confused like that while those idiots faff around trying to decapitate them? They looked like they were drugged, you wouldn't even know a native bird was there.

Reminds me of the "feral" piglets last year who came running into the camp to be petted while the team were lying around the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,544 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Thargor wrote: »
    Jaysus the fat one on the poor team 3 years ago, she switched from a swimming instructor to an office job, not a good decision:

kI3y0qP.png

I remember she said she was a size 8 when that pic was taken.

She must have done some amount of eating to get as big as she is now.

Have they ever had a more useless bunch than this crowd? We're starving, lets go on a hunt. Spot a snake. Run away from it. Eh, that was a few thousand calories of protein ye ****in' eejits!

Yer wan Shereen is a bit of a head melter. Running off into the jungle after the birds with a stick. Great plan there Tarzan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

I gave up after episode 2 or 3,its that bad I can't remember...

It's all a bit ho-hum this time around.
    Any suggestions for a different group?

deco nate wrote: »
    I gave up after episode 2 or 3,its that bad I can't remember...

You didn't really miss anything to be fair, all the episodes are basically the same. Hungry people making poor decisions, before being saved by magic birds that wander into camp and cook themselves.
    It's all a bit ho-hum this time around.
    Any suggestions for a different group?

It might be nice to have a group that actually knows what they're doing for once. As it stands, the show feels a bit tired and samey.

Not great alright, thought the toff/slob dynamic was shaping up to be really interesting but they all seemed completely knackered by Day 2.

That was it? Jesus that was the worst series ever. The pineapple plants on the other island practically still had the garden centre tags on them. Absolutely nothing interesting happened for the whole thing, they just lay around whining until it was time to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Ygritte

It was utter ****e this season.

And I'm withered from hearing the Bear Grylls line "I've ensured there is enough vegetation, wildlife ...on the island provided they have the ingenuity blah blah to catch it and kill it blah" :rolleyes:

Giving this one a bump, Celeb version is back on Sunday night @ 9pm.

https://twitter.com/TheIsland/status/1037382213631922177

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Roxanne Pallett is on this too. She really hoped for a big comeback this year.

In case you haven't read the papers, I'll spoiler it.
    She walked out of this after 5 days. Says bonfire smoke reminded her too much of a house fire she was in when she was 16. I know she's the enemy at the moment but seems like she needs professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Was this recorded before the big brother exit from Roxanne? Will be wierd watching her on this after BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭Meauldsegosha

Was this recorded before the big brother exit from Roxanne? Will be wierd watching her on this after BB.

It was filmed back in May.

Was this recorded before the big brother exit from Roxanne?
    What you thought she left the Big Brother house and they whisked her away for a quick trip to film the Island? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Thargor wrote: »
    Was this recorded before the big brother exit from Roxanne?
    What you thought she left the Big Brother house and they whisked her away for a quick trip to film the Island? :confused:
    Okay, okay, I was having a senior moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 86,244 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Toxic Roxy should get C4 high ratings

Just a few minutes on the island and they're leaving two thirds of their water behind. This isn't going to end well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

My god, so many fools on this.

Advertisement