Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

1111213141517»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

He’s an attention seeking wanker.

I thought he was actually alright up until tonight’s episode. Quite funny.

I don’t get his militant stance on killing though, especially given that he’s a pescatarian. Fair enough if he was vegan, but even at that, what show did he think he was going on? I don’t understand the mindset of being able to kill one type of animal and then freaking out at others being killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,648 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Just catching up on episode 4. Unbelievable that Pete would waste energy walking the pig that "wandered" into camp off into the jungle so nobody could kill it and eat.

He’s been pescatarian for 5 months. What a cock

I'd have murdered Pete to get to the pig and eaten both of them

Ahahahaha oh man my sides. The laughter!
    They accidentally strangled the pig after tying it up, what a bunch of halfwits

Edit: and now instead of eating it they waste yet more energy giving it a funeral. These idiots deserved to starve

This is back on Sunday night, 9pm on C4.
    But this time with an added incentive, it's not just The Island but now it's Treasure Island! With 100k pound on offer, not sure exactly how it works but one thing for sure is, anybody who leaves early gets nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Streetlamp

Anyone watching? It seems different this year. The previous series the camera crew seemed to be integrated with the people. This series they seem outside, like when money was discovered they were talking about splitting it 2ways when obviously the camera person was there. Just seems much faker this year.

• Advertisement

Streetlamp wrote: »
    Anyone watching? It seems different this year. The previous series the camera crew seemed to be integrated with the people. This series they seem outside, like when money was discovered they were talking about splitting it 2ways when obviously the camera person was there. Just seems much faker this year.

Yeah that's a noticeable difference with the camera crew. There's a shift in tone for sure, feels much more like a reality show than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,144 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

I have only watched 2 episodes so far but quite enjoying it. Never watched the previous series.
    Surprised at the amount of plastic bottles in the trees and what's with the little tikes rocking horse?

I'm very surprised by the ex-marine. I'd expect more of a team player. Maybe thats why he's an Ex marine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,360 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Think I preferred the old The Island. Not sure what the money brings to the show really. Maybe it will become a source of tension and drama between people yet but at the moment the contestants are just finding the money and hiding it without saying anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

The brand new toothbrush and rainbow sweetie looked a bit too good to be true! I’ll keep watching though as I like seeing how the teams bond/split etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

The brand new toothbrush and rainbow sweetie looked a bit too good to be true! I’ll keep watching though as I like seeing how the teams bond/split etc

Didn't think it was a new toothbrush :eek:

Its definitely not as interesting as the first few series where it was about survival. Its definitely more staged now, but the money is getting interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

That was a pretty poor series, two or three exciting moments with the money but the rest of it was fairly boring. It was weird that that Irene and Mo only got a share of the last box they helped find, when it seemed that they were meant to be getting a share of the other boxes that the whole camp found. Ben was saying all along he was going to be giving money for the both of them and going out to get the boxes for them, but in the end he didn't give them any of his money. It was strange how it turned out, feel like a lot was left unexplained and unaddressed.

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    That was a pretty poor series, two or three exciting moments with the money but the rest of it was fairly boring. It was weird that that Irene and Mo only got a share of the last box they helped find, when it seemed that they were meant to be getting a share of the other boxes that the whole camp found. Ben was saying all along he was going to be giving money for the both of them and going out to get the boxes for them, but in the end he didn't give them any of his money. It was strange how it turned out, feel like a lot was left unexplained and unaddressed.

No they definitely got a share of more than the last box. The last box was €20K so they would only gotten €2K each from that given the numbers. They both went home with €5K

I thought it was a disppointing series too. It really seems to have lost it's way. The money was intereting for the first couple of epsisodes.

I thought the posh Lord guy was a bit of a twat. He kept saying that in life you get what you deserve based on your hard work and effort. A bit rich coming from a guy tht inheridted all his wealth. :rolleyes: His final comment on the the money was that everyone on the island came away with the correct amount of money based on their physical contributions. That's total BS. He got lucky with initially finding the money; the amount of money they found; and also the guy he teamed up with (the physically strongest of the group). Himself and his buddy were happy to drink the water and take the food that the others gave them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

BaZmO* wrote: »
    No they definitely got a share of more than the last box. The last box was €20K so they would only gotten €2K each from that given the numbers. They both went home with €5K

They both got given a grand each by Ivar and Jack as well, I thought Marco gave them money as well but I was wrong so they each got another grand from a box but it doesn't seem like it was shared out equally as Ben went home with 11 grand and Jack even with giving away his money went away with more than them.
    I thought it was a disppointing series too. It really seems to have lost it's way. The money was intereting for the first couple of epsisodes.

I thought the posh Lord guy was a bit of a twat. He kept saying that in life you get what you deserve based on your hard work and effort. A bit rich coming from a guy tht inheridted all his wealth. :rolleyes: His final comment on the the money was that everyone on the island came away with the correct amount of money based on their physical contributions. That's total BS. He got lucky with initially finding the money; the amount of money they found; and also the guy he teamed up with (the physically strongest of the group). Himself and his buddy were happy to drink the water and take the food that the others gave them.

I say there was some selective editing going on with Ivar and Marco, it made it seem like all they did was laze about and think of money but I say they were doing a lot more for the camp. Doesn't excuse them going all Lord of the Flies, and making it into survival of the fittest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    I say there was some selective editing going on with Ivar and Marco, it made it seem like all they did was laze about and think of money but I say they were doing a lot more for the camp.
    I think you have the right of it here. There were a few hints to it: they were shown doing winkle picking and catching sprat in two episodes, they lead the expedition to find another water source after the flood contaminated the one they had been using etc.

The "hidden" assistance from Bear's team on the island has become far more obvious (the iguana "caught" in Irene and Morag's "trap", the goat wandering near to camp, the fishing net being provided, each person having a jerry can etc).

I think it said a lot about the "reality" of the show when they did the last celebrity one and RJ Mitte walked after the group had to be bailed out by Bear's team. The editing of that was particularly vicious too: the guy stayed up all night keeping the fire going and collecting rain water and then they all have a go when he finally gives in and gets some shut-eye having put in a solid 24 hour plus shift. It was pretty clear they were trying to show him as too mentally weak to survive the show when, in reality, he had shown himself to then to be the most valuable member of the team and one of the few who was prepared for the survival element.

I was really disappointed by this series. There appeared to be very little survival. The camp wasn't even developed. They didn't even appear to struggle. Hopefully they go back to basics next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭crisco10

Yeah quite a disappointing series, only 1 person left the island. The money and removing the camera people from the tribe (I'm guessing that the camera crews even rotated on/off the island) really seemed to take away the survival on a desert island feel.

At the start, I thought money was an interesting way to reboot a slightly tired format but the whole tone was pretty fake this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,151 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I was quite surprised when the lad with the long curly hair rattled off all he and Ben had caught . Numerous birds and sting ray and iguanas that were never shown . We were led to believe they were living off the perriwinkles and mussles and a sting ray but in reality they had caught much more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Couldnt believe it was over when I realised it was the last ep, exact smae thing happened last year, its just a stupid, pointless programme now, I doubt Ill bother with it again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Just wondering if I am alone in this but I could not watch them killing the Goat he was so tame I thought it was horrific, why put animals there at all for them let them survive with what is on the Island or pick an Island with some kind of wild life I don't like them putting animals for them to kill them, throwing stones at the Lizard trying to kill him was not nice either. Really gone off it now at this stage

Storm 10 wrote: »
    Just wondering if I am alone in this but I could not watch them killing the Goat he was so tame I thought it was horrific, why put animals there at all for them let them survive with what is on the Island or pick an Island with some kind of wild life I don't like them putting animals for them to kill them, throwing stones at the Lizard trying to kill him was not nice either. Really gone off it now at this stage

What difference does it make? That's just the reality of killing animals for food.

The goat was definitely not a wild goat ,it was definitely gifted to them.
    the whole series stank.
    the cash thing didnt add anything but took away the whole survival aspect of it .
    In the last few seasons they built shelters etc but nothing in this series at all.
    Not even a basic hut?

Advertisement