Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Island - Bear Grylls

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

That young guy Ryan really wanted to see a turtle.

The Alpha-male, Robert or Rupert, seems a bit of a dick.

As for the lazy lads who don't do anything to help out - why are they even there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

zoobizoo wrote: »
    That young guy Ryan really wanted to see a turtle.

The Alpha-male, Robert or Rupert, seems a bit of a dick.

As for the lazy lads who don't do anything to help out - why are they even there?

Yes, he wanted to see it, but sure they were only mid-way through. He could have just resolved to get up every night and go walking along the beach for 2 hours to try to see one. Instead he had a hissy fit.

Agree on Rupert. The abrupt cut to him exercising in LA was rediculous. Mid-life crisis anyone?

Agree on the lazy lads. As I said, they've figured out that they're not going to die on the island so are content to laze around in the sun until the boat comes for them. Sad.

Would have been interesting if they asked the group to divide themselves into teams for the final week and see who would have joined who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Next week (the last episode?) has an election....something that maybe should have happened in episode 1.

Two final episodes next week for the finale, the last regular episode followed by a 'Surviving the Island' episode where Bear meets with the men to explore how they coped and how the experience has affected them. Bear also reveals the secrets of how the show was made

It has been renewed for a second season too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,203 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Would be cool if in the last episode Bear shows us what the team could have done to gather food and water.

Would be cool if in the last episode Bear shows us what the team could have done to gather food and water.

I'd imagine he will on the after-show episode, would be interesting to hear alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭DubOnHoliday

This ^.

In terms of survival, they haven't done anything bar light a fire, catch a few fish and get some coconuts.
    They've drank water that was prepared for them and killed a animal that was provided for them.
    I've been waiting for a good storm to expose their lack of shelter.

NUTZZ wrote: »
    It has been renewed for a second season too.

Expect to see an all ladies version so I guess. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭cactuspaw

Love this show, love most things that show leadership and group development. Wish they would show us more of each persons background each week then showing the same people (call centre boy , director guy, doctor, hairdresser guy) all the time. I would love to see how the older men deal with the experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

deco nate wrote: »
    Just watched the first episode,
    It's very good.
    It's not a game show in any
    Way and bear is not with them,
    Only time you see him is when
    He's talking about the things
    The lads are going through.
    Definitely gonna watch the
    Rest of this!
    deco nate wrote: »
    Yea, going starkers into the sea. :)
    I can see a lot of arguments
    Happening. The telesales guy
    Has done nothing but moan.
    Can't wait for next week
    Your poems are terrible.

40,000 people apply for season 2 of The Island after just one day!

Source

Expect to see an all ladies version so I guess. Interesting.

No they're looking for 13 male applicants again for season 2 according to Channel 4.

NUTZZ wrote: »
    No they're looking for 13 male applicants again for season 2 according to Channel 4.

I think I'd be good on it. Maybe I'll apply!

So they're accepting male and female applicants for Season 2 it appears, got the application email;
    Hi,

Thank you for your interest in The Island with Bear Grylls.

If you would like to be considered for a place on The Island you will need to apply using our online application system. To be eligible you must be:

- Aged 18 or over
    - A UK Resident with a valid passport
    - Available for seven weeks between 17th October – 5th December 2014
    (Please note that you will need to be able to take this amount of time off work although you will be entitled to payment of reasonable and evidenced loss of earnings from this period.)

Please do not apply unless you can meet all of the above eligibility criteria. You must only apply for yourself.

This year we are considering applications from both men and women, so please click on the appropriate link below to proceed:

WOMEN: apply.shinegroup.tv/theislandwomen/index.apply

MEN: apply.shinegroup.tv/theislandmen/index.apply

Important: The closing date for applications is Monday 21st July 2014. Any submitted after this date may not be considered.

If your application is successful, you will be invited for the next stage of the application process in August. Please note that, due to the number of applications, we are only able to respond to successful applicants.

All data will be stored in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.

Best Wishes

The Island with Bear Grylls Team

Please do not reply to this email.

The Island Season 2

Last time, 13 men were dropped on a remote Pacific island.

This year, there will be 14 men on one island... and 14 women on another.

Both groups will spend six weeks trying to survive on little more than their wits.

It’ll answer the age-old question of who is made of stronger stuff, men or women, as it pushes both genders to their limits.

And, according to Bear, it will make Mission Survive look like child’s play...

What can viewers expect?

We’ve taken The Island to a whole new level.

We extended the time they spend there by 50 per cent – which turned out to be borderline too long – and it’s during the rainy season, too.

Why the decision to have a separate women’s island this year?

So many people wanted to see it and we listened to that.

The first series was a study of modern man under pressure. The second is a study of men and women.

Could you predict how they’d behave?

No. Nobody could call the results.

Everybody asked, “What do you think will happen?”
    And I just didn’t know. I was shocked by how few on either island made it to the end and also by how close the women came to literally not being able to continue.

It was that close, medically.

How were the men and women different?

Men grow up wanting to make camps but that’s not always the case for women.

So it took them longer to figure this stuff out, which meant they did go through greater physical hardships.

How much training do you give them?

Just a couple of days because I didn’t want survival experts on the island.

This is meant to be regular people – the builder, the doctor, the accountant – who learn through mistakes.

So we give them enough training to stay alive and not hack their legs off with a machete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

First one was alright actually, a lot of them were a mess after it, that little bitch was entertaining aswell. Looking forward to this thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭pooch90

God some of the men are right muppets, hate all the alpha male posturing crap.
    Be interesting to compare and contrast with the women's island. I don't think the women will be very competent off the bat but may be a more cohesive team than the bickering men.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

pooch90 wrote: »
    God some of the men are right muppets, hate all the alpha male posturing crap.
    Be interesting to compare and contrast with the women's island. I don't think the women will be very competent off the bat but may be a more cohesive team than the bickering men.

Yes. Makes me wonder if its "just for the camera"

I enjoyed last nights but I wonder if I'll stick with it for 6 weeks. I mean FFS "I know we've got no water, nowhere to sleep and no food, but I don't like you for no obvious reason so I'm going to carry on bickering and arguing."

The big guy, construction contracts manager, just seemed to keep raising issues without any attempt to solve anything - maybe thats what he's used to doing?

Tonights should be interesting.

I was just amazed at the amount of them that seemed to break after just one day without sleep or food. Surely if you were picked to go on something like this you would go off somewhere beforehand and practice doing some rough camping (something like Oxegen for the weekend perhaps! :) ).
    Nah, better to wait until you're the other side of the world, miles from civilisation, to discover that you hate sleeping out doors and you can't go a day without pizza!

• Advertisement

Or practice how to build a shelter,what the signs in nature are for finding a water source,practice building the fire,what repels sand flies. Cant get my head around the utter lack of preparation,both mental and practical.

I'm a big girl's blouse and scared of snakes and spiders but if you have signed up,you can't cry for twenty minutes when a snake approaches you. As one of the women said,hack its head off and carry on with the bonus of some meat for dinner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

This is really good, proper survival not like the soft touch American stuff. Although there have been some really good eps of Naked and Marooned recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of populating the island with pigs and crocs just for them to kill and eat.

Good so far though, that eejit Paul talked himself off the island, glad the lads gave them short shrift and advided if they're going then jog on and get out of the way.

razorblunt wrote: »
    I'm really uncomfortable with the idea of populating the island with pigs and crocs just for them to kill and eat.
    I was wondering that too. I assume they take them off the island afterwards? And hopefully they haven't caused any destruction.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Good so far though, that eejit Paul talked himself off the island, glad the lads gave them short shrift and advided if they're going then jog on and get out of the way.
    Yeah I was glad too. What was he expecting? A big group hug and another 4 hours waffling on about the situation, all the while getting a little closer to starvation. :rolleyes:

If he had any sense he would've realised that the older guy wouldn't have lasted much longer. He just needed to bide his time.

That was a pretty hairy moment when the huge 10 FOOT WAVE (lol) came out of nowhere and swept him out to sea. :eek: I know they grossly exaggerated the exact circumstances but it was an extremely risky situation to put themselves in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Buona Fortuna

Yes its a shame those three going so quickly. Its a shame because they could have used their skills - and because three lads who might have gotten a lot more from it could have used their places.

A lot more than just the duty free allowance anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Imagine the state of them if there wasn't additional provisions?
    I like the show a lot.

Delighted all the dead wood is gone from the men's camp.
    But as said above, it's a shame they took 3 spots that someone who would've gotten stuck in could've had.
    The incident with the wave looked really scary and knocked poor little Barney a lot, was really happy for him that he caught the iguana to give him a boost again.

Looking forward to the women tonight.

The "Ig-You-ana" looked tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,844 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

The women have not eaten in days and have no water. Half of them are lost on the other side of the island. They found a Cayman and you could see their eyes light up.....would make a great new handbag

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The women have not eaten in days and have no water. Half of them are lost on the other side of the island. They found a Cayman and you could see their eyes light up.....would make a great new handbag

Its mad. one group of women are camped our a few metres from the drop off point waiting to be rescued by an exploration team who have explored the same circular bit of the island about 3 times. Neither group has found food or water or managed to light a fire.

Why do the 'camp' group take the initiative of finding a beach and water themselves instead of sitting and waiting for days on end. My mind is officially boggled

Advertisement