Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appropriate notice to accommodate viewing?

Options
  • 01-05-2014 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Quick question;

Landlord is selling the apartment myself and my partner are renting from him. There have been a few viewings so far and we've been very accommodating. The estate agent has just informed him (and him us) that she has four viewings lined up for Saturday morning first thing.

He and I both work shift hours and the estate agent knows our hours.

My question is what is an appropriate amount of time to give notice for a viewing taking place? If she comes first thing Saturday morning, we'll have to drag ourselves out of bed and sit in our car for however long the viewings take, having only finished work at 5am that morning. Not ideal.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

You are not obliged to allow the viewings. They should ask you, not inform you of them.

Tell the estate agent that it doesn't suit and give them alternative options to choose from that suit you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

As said above say any time before x pm does not suit as you only finish work at 5. You don't have to leave the property either. you can be sitting there eating lunch while they do viewings.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭My Makeup Perspective

You are not obliged to allow the viewings. They should ask you, not inform you of them.

Tell the estate agent that it doesn't suit and give them alternative options to choose from that suit you.

We don't have a lease, we're renting from a work colleague so as regards rights, we more or less have none. He's basically telling us that the viewing is happening, and tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Colonel Panic

If you rent the whole apartment and not just a room, then not having a lease doesn't mean the you have no rights.

We don't have a lease, we're renting from a work colleague so as regards rights, we more or less have none. He's basically telling us that the viewing is happening, and tough.

Have you lived there more than 6 months and rent the entire house/apartment? If you do not give permission and they enter it is illegal. Lease or no lease.

• Advertisement

Have you lived there more than 6 months and rent the entire house/apartment? If you do not give permission and they enter it is illegal. Lease or no lease.

We're there exactly 12 months now. We've been very good to him thus far, never got in touch with him to fix anything, kept the place spotless etc. just a bit p*ssed off now with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

You have part IV rights if you are there more than six months...you are not obliged to let them dictate the viewings to you. They should be dancing to your tune.

We're there exactly 12 months now. We've been very good to him thus far, never got in touch with him to fix anything, kept the place spotless etc. just a bit p*ssed off now with this.

It is very difficult to get rid of you now and you can legally refuse any viewings. Your request is completely reasonable. If he can't do it later in the day then he can arrange a different day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Are you paying him rent? If so you have the full rights afforded by the residential tenancies act. If the viewings dont suit you, tell him to sling his hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭dizzymiss

Lease or no lease, you have the same rights as everyone else like others have said. They have to go by your timetable. Ring them back and say it doesnt suit and give them alternative times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭garhjw

OP, like the others have said tell them Saturday morning doesn't suit. Then provide them with alternative times convenient to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Can they not show the people at once?
    Why four different viewings?
    And yes if it doesn't suit just say, they can rearrange.

Just an update, we dug our heels in and stuck to our guns and the estate agent compromised with us and she did the viewings at 2pm. Thanks for all yizzur help! ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Personally I would want a minimum of a weeks notice and If they time didn't suit me then no viewing. Okay with viewing but would have to be on my terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Personally I would want a minimum of a weeks notice and If they time didn't suit me then no viewing. Okay with viewing but would have to be on my terms.
    If I was a landlord I'd work with the tenant to arrange a viewing schedule for each month and then give that to the EA. I'd also give the tenant a rental discount for each month the property is viewing, to compensate for the inconvenience.

Remember that the property is your home, so your right to decide who can enter it and when they can enter, supersede all rights the landlord has to access his property.

Advertisement