Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mediation.. bullying

Options
  • 01-05-2014 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

HI Folks,

Anyone got any experience with mediation.. (with ref to bullying in work place)?

Did it work.. what was the outcome etc?

colleague is a sociopath so its a difficult one.. but would like to hear anyone else's experience...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

I'm a fan of mediation - it's a great concept, especially when used well in the right circumstances.

Here, I'm not so sure. Obviously, we have little detail. However, if bullying has been proven - there was an investigation, wasn't there? - then why mediate? Bullying is wrong, and against every HR policy in existence, and is a disciplinary matter - I don't see how mediation helps.

If you were bullied, then the bully should be disciplined and told to stop - end of. There is no compromise here IMO - and mediation is often about a compromise.

Was mediation proposed as an alternative to a disciplinary process? I'm not sure I'd agree with that approach.

Why do you think a sociopath would respond well to mediation? If you don't then is mediation appropriate?

BTW - why is s/he a sociopath?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

blindsider wrote: »
    If you were bullied, then the bully should be disciplined and told to stop - end of. There is no compromise here IMO - and mediation is often about a compromise.

BTW - why is s/he a sociopath?

OTOH, whether or not a behaviour is actually bullying is about mal-intent.

eg some people can believe they are experiencing "bullying" (in the form of exclusion) from a person with autism, when there are no malicious intentions involved.

So I can see that mediation has a role in resolving some situations where a person believes they are being bullied.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think it depends on where the mediation is in the dealing process.

Is this an initial way to deal with the incidents or is this after an investigation?

Advertisement