Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

new carlingford to omeath walkway

Options
  • 01-05-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me what distance does the new carlingford to omeath walkway cover?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just googled it! 6.2km.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Didn't even know about it. Must do it this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

MugMugs wrote: »
    Didn't even know about it. Must do it this weekend.

officially open on the 14th May

http://talkofthetown.ie/2014/05/01/carlingford-to-omeath-walkway-to-officially-open-on-may-14th/

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

link blocked for me. is this designed for cycling too?

link blocked for me. is this designed for cycling too?
    The new walkway between Carlingford and Omeath will officially open to the public on Wednesday May 14th.

The walk, which takes in part of the old Great Northern Railway line, will link the two villages and offer stunning views of the Cooley Peninsula and Carlingford Lough.

Local businessman Kevin Woods said recently that it would be a major tourism boost to the area and praised all those who made it happen.

Louth County Council have been carrying out work on the walk and cycle path for several months and it is sure to prove popular in the months ahead for both locals and visitors to the area.

Yup!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭whereto now

Should be a beautiful walk on a sunny day, its on the list......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

neacy69 wrote: »
    Think they've put it back to June now as they want some of the newly elected councillors to be there to officially open it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭positron

Looks amazing, good stuff!!

Not at the same scale but the walk from Drogheda town to Battle of Boyne site looks awesome and well popular already. Great work!

positron wrote: »
    Looks amazing, good stuff!!

Not at the same scale but the walk from Drogheda town to Battle of Boyne site looks awesome and well popular already. Great work!

Any link for this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭positron

I don't think it has an official page, but there are more details and pictures on this facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/BoyneValleyWalking

And a lot more discussion and photos on this thread:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057110320

It really looks splendid on a warm & bright day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭5.11 Tactical

How far is it both ways or is it 6.2km in total

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The walkway is 6.2km long!

About an hour there and an hour back so!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Will be ideal for anyone training for a 10k run. Had a wander out about 3 weeks ago but was blocked at one point as work was being done. There were plans drawn up late 90's `to have a costal walk to be built in sections the length of the county. Remember thinking it was ambitious and great forward thinking. Was shelved due to issues of rights or way and landowners looking for money. Maybe its a possibility now. Obviously some sections would have moved inland and included for example the walk along Blackrock Rd and through the village and from Tippings pt along the road past Dundalk Stadium on to navy bank etc.

Did the walk on Saturday it is really good, would recommend to anyhow and also runners as it is an unhindered straight run and no worries about cars etc and a nice sea breeze aswell

Also ok parking if you get in at greers quay

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Where does the walkway start at the Carlingford end?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    Where does the walkway start at the Carlingford end?

At the marina.

Heres part of the submission for grant aid - interesting enough, especially if the route is completed between Dundalk and Newry, and how there is, believe it or not, collaberation between different departments withn the council eg water supply line underneath the walkway rather than digging up a main road.

http://www.smartertravel.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/1204%2027%20Louth%20NCN%20Carlingford%20Omeath.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rosebud8

The Marina end is not officially open yet. We attempted to start this walk here this morning, but had to drive up to Greer's Quay and walk it the other way. No harm. Great amenity, really enjoyed it. The marina end will be opened after the bank holiday. New coffee shop in the marina great spot for light refreshments after.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Fraggle00

Any word on when the work will be finished and the walk opened properly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Is it only for walking and cycling on? Can you take a dog on it? What about a horse?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Waow, I walk out in Carlingford and I didn't even know it existed, get the signs up lads, anyway I'll find it next time, I've often walked the back road off the village out onto the main rd and back into the village left down to the first pier back out and down to the other side off the pier...... And that's only if I'm not in the mood for the Hill Walk up behind the butchers!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

Also ok parking if you get in at greers quay

I swear there's a million places I'd like to park around the Cooley Carlingford area, but it's just not worth it(car break ins etc)but Carlingford village isn't a problem. shame really

Btw everybody, all the Cooley Peninsula walks are available in the Tourist office in Dundalk, map of walk, length, difficulty, average time etc etc, and all laminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭ChuckProphet

Fraggle00 wrote: »
    Any word on when the work will be finished and the walk opened properly?

is it not finished yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rosebud8

Was up there again on friday, did part of the walk from Greers Quay. Still not open at marina end. Cant wait to walk the full way. There are some lovely signage / mileage posts ready to be unveiled, placed along the path. Hurry up and officially open it before the summer is out, please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I went to the Marina end on Friday. Spoke to the workmen there and they thought it would be open in a few days as they had finished the entire surface, they only had about 2 days of fencing left to do and erect a couple of gates which were sitting there.

Used this as part of a mountain biking trek today. Very well done and a pleasure to use and be able to use. Very impressed. I'd like to see more!

Advertisement