Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slieve Foye and Barnaveve, help with route

Options
  • 01-05-2014 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

A small group of us are planning to climb Slieve Foy and just wanted to get some first hand advice from those who have done it!

Is this a very boggy area or is the ground generally good?

I was thinking of starting in Carlingford and heading for the small saddle between Barnaveve and Slieve Foye before turning right and ascending Foye from the south. From the map the contours seem quite close together so i'm wondering if there is a decent track or if there is any scrambling? We want to avoid that this time around :)

We were planning on descending north east towards the forest to rejoin the forest walk back into Carlingford.

Any help, advice or suggestions greatly appreciated!!

J

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭duckysauce

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The easiest way to do it is to follow the Tain way (marked in red on the map and marked on the ground reasonably well). A good track then leads to the col between Foy & Barnaveve. Turn right up the obvious track, which will lead you up Foy. The ground is good, it's an easy but steep walk (no scrambling) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

Yes, that's a fine short walk. If you manage to pick up a copy of our Táin Way Map Guide, you could try Great Outdoors or Tourist Office in Carlingford but I wouldn't hold out much hope as tourist offices were stopped from selling this sort of thing a few years back, the back has a selection of five loop walks including this one. There's a bit of rocky step and a short gully on the part you talk of but it's easy going. Do continue along the ridge and return via the carpark up in far end of the forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

hmmm wrote: »
    The easiest way to do it is to follow the Tain way (marked in red on the map and marked on the ground reasonably well). A good track then leads to the col between Foy & Barnaveve. Turn right up the obvious track, which will lead you up Foy. The ground is good, it's an easy but steep walk (no scrambling) :)

Thats what I wanted to hear, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭jusmeig

BarryD wrote: »
    Yes, that's a fine short walk. If you manage to pick up a copy of our Táin Way Map Guide, you could try Great Outdoors or Tourist Office in Carlingford but I wouldn't hold out much hope as tourist offices were stopped from selling this sort of thing a few years back, the back has a selection of five loop walks including this one. There's a bit of rocky step and a short gully on the part you talk of but it's easy going. Do continue along the ridge and return via the carpark up in far end of the forest.

I'll chance my arm in the tourist office!
    I'll pick up an OSi map covering the area also, although I find the scale on them fairly useless for walkers!

• Advertisement
Advertisement