Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare | News/Info/Speculation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm finding it very hard to see an of the enemies :( it'll take a bit of getting used to other than that but I like it so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I'm finding it very hard to see an of the enemies :( it'll take a bit of getting used to other than that but I like it so far.

Ghosts was awful for seeing the enemies hopefully it is not more of the same in AW.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

My two cents, for what it's worth. Let's get some healthy discussion going :)

1. I never played TF or Destiny or any shooters with a kind of boost jump or whatever kinda system. It's kind of confusing me. Not used to people being up so high and jumping like lunatics in gunfights with the jetpack. Not a complaint but just something I'm not used to. Is it effective in gunfights or is there a point in jumping around like a mad man while shooting?
    2. It seems like most of the time the TTK for me is very different than my TTD, does anyone else feel the same? I know it's the first day and there is bound to be connection mishaps here and there but most of the time it feels like I'm unloading hitmarkers into someone while they drop me in 3 bullets.
    3. Maybe my aim just sucks but I'm having a harder time aiming in this game, it feels different to other CODs but maybe it's just me. Thoughts?
    4. Cloak is useless, I don't know what function it serves but you really are not cloaked at all when using it. I'm not asking for an OP true invisibility cloak but kind of disappointed with how bad it is
    5. What are people's thoughts on the exo abilities? I think an argument can be made for stim, the overclock one where you go faster and maybe the mute one (but I'm not sure how effective that is), and ping. The rest are pretty useless
    6. The BAL and the AK seem to be the top dogs right now, don't think any other ARs matter after these 2.
    7. SMGs are again sub par, I like to use them time to time so I guess AW is again another AR dominant game, not a complaint but I do like my SMGs
    8. QSing is still in the game for some reason, why won't it just die, it's incredibly broken and needs to be taken out
    9. Some of the scorestreaks are bad. UAV, Drone and Warbird seem to be the best. UAVs are really good which I like. Maybe it's a good thing that assault killstreaks are not as effective anymore, back in MW3 it was fun to get your reaper and AC130 but was a nightmare to play against, so I guess it's okay that there isn't too many assault orientated killstreaks
    10. Regarding the maps, they're mostly fine, some are utter garbage but I do like most of them, so this is a step up from ghosts
    11. The minimap is kind of confusing, or maybe it's just me. I think that my icon should be a different colour from team mates, and sometimes enemies on the UAV can be hard to read. Maybe this is just me!
    Overall feels better than ghosts, but having some odd issues with TTK and TTD inconsistencies. I think if I give it a while it will grow on me but I think some parts need work, I would like more gun variation and balance, seems like the BAL and AK are gonna be the go to guns. What do you guys think of AW so far?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,313 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Davei141 wrote: »
    Ghosts was awful for seeing the enemies hopefully it is not more of the same in AW.

I didn't find ghosts that bad for spotting enemies but had an awful time this evening in Advanced Warfare.
    Maybe its just I'm still getting used to it at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

You don't have to fully download the game to play multiplayer. Nice

How much did you have to download?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

ok so im getting more used to the boost jumping and the new dyanmics to all that. im now able to do well again in games. too little guns in this game, even if there is different version of a specific gun(just a new camo and a + and - there on a stat or two). its good so far but not THAT good.

cant even see friends stats in the leaderboards, cant even see stats of people in the lobby(you could in ghosts) personal annoyance to me but wouldnt even be noticed by most people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,608 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I cant understand the love for zombies.

Me too. It drove me to boredom after 5mins. How anyone can play such a repetitive mode is beyond me

Hopefully this game plummets in sales

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Headshot wrote: »
    Me too. It drove me to boredom after 5mins. How anyone can play such a repetitive mode is beyond me

Hopefully this game plummets in sales

Why would you want it to plummet in sales? Just because you don't like it?

DarkJager wrote: »
    Why would you want it to plummet in sales? Just because you don't like it?

I use to love the COD series but they have destroyed the game for me. Maybe with plummeting in sales might get them to actually create innovative game instead of ripping off other games.

I use to love the COD series but they have destroyed the game for me. Maybe with plummeting in sales might get them to actually create innovative game instead of ripping off other games.

There's only so many ways you can innovate within a genre, especially for FPS. Call of Duty had always been a summer blockbuster type game, a 6 or 7 thrill ride with plenty of shooting and explosions and a multiplayer mode included. People enjoy it and people buy it for what it is.

I'm still waiting on my copy of this to arrive but everything I've seen of it so far has been positive after the absolute mess that was Ghosts. Even the inclusion of added mobility is a step forward for this series, maybe not a grand reinvention of the wheel but a step forward nonetheless. I don't see how they are ripping off other games, you could say the same thing for any number of titles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭CptMackey

After playing for a good bit this evening I have to say that it is good. Getting killed from all angles but holding my own.

When I was playing with friends we were winning but hard to win when playing with people who are only interested in kd ratio.

The killstreaks don't seen to over power the game. A lot going on with the classes too

There's only so many ways you can innovate within a genre, especially for FPS. Call of Duty had always been a summer blockbuster type game, a 6 or 7 thrill ride with plenty of shooting and explosions and a multiplayer mode included. People enjoy it and people buy it for what it is.

I'm still waiting on my copy of this to arrive but everything I've seen of it so far has been positive after the absolute mess that was Ghosts. Even the inclusion of added mobility is a step forward for this series, maybe not a grand reinvention of the wheel but a step forward nonetheless. I don't see how they are ripping off other games, you could say the same thing for any number of titles.

Im dying to play a new FPS game but I just cant bring myself to buy a cod game. Titan fall was very innovative when it came out. COD just copied the jet pack, its not that hard to be innovative if you want to be but for me COD refuse to do this. They just see the dollar bills and they know anything they put out with a COD branding will sell.

Havent this COD ripped off halo and Titan fall?

Im dying to play a new FPS game but I just cant bring myself to buy a cod game. Titan fall was very innovative when it came out. COD just copied the jet pack, its not that hard to be innovative if you want to be but for me COD refuse to do this. They just see the dollar bills and they know anything they put out with a COD branding will sell.

Havent this COD ripped off halo and Titan fall?

This was actually in development before Titanfall so it's not ripping it off. I don't see where the halo comparison comes from, nothing of what I've seen has reminded me of halo at all.

This was actually in development before Titanfall so it's not ripping it off. I don't see where the halo comparison comes from, nothing of what I've seen has reminded me of halo at all.

Any proof of this? I highly doubt it. You also dont know that they may have added the jet packs etc when they saw Titan fall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

This is the first time i have actualy played a cod story mode. Its so purdy !!

Any proof of this? I highly doubt it. You also dont know that they may have added the jet packs etc when they saw Titan fall

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-05-the-sledgehammer-effect-we-want-to-change-this-thing
    It seems there was some convergence of opinion, and not just within Sledgehammer Games. Months before Advanced Warfare's reveal, Respawn - the studio formed by Infinity Ward founders Jason West and Vince Zampella - released Titanfall, a shooter with an emphasis on quick movement, and with future tech playing a part in the form of hulking mechs and boost boots. Advanced Warfare was already well into development by the time Titanfall had been announced - but surely its reveal must have impacted Sledgehammer in some way.

"There was definitely an 'ugh, I hope people don't think we've ripped them off' moment," says Schofield. "But it was our own. We thought are we going to keep it, but yeah - this is different. It's our world. We never backed off, we never changed

Covering his ass already lol

?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Yes, they borrowed from Titanfall. It's obvious.

But exactly why is that a bad thing Headshot? Why such scorn?

You make the game the best it can be and take inspiration from whats gone before. The game appears the better for it. This seems to be the first COD in years that's actually worth playing. Isnt that a good thing? Besides, Titanfall wasn't the first game to use jetpacks, suit abilities or free running.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Ok, i'm a fan of the CoD series, except for Ghosts, which was pants. But this, this is after reinvigorating the series. Yeah, nothing is especially new, it's got jetpacks (exo's) and it's not the first game to do it. I haven't played Titanfall, but if it reminds me of anything, it's reminding me of Crackdown. Not as powerful, but integral to the game. And done so, so well.

The single player, now that i've finished it, is excellent. It spans 5 years, and does so much that it could have been broken into 2 games if they wanted, but Sledgehammer obviously know where they want to go with this, and if the typical trilogy applies, it's left itself with anywhere to go. And it's visually stunning. The character models for Mitchell, Gideon, Irons and Cormac are photorealistic at times, and i honestly thought i was watching live action during the majority of the cutscenes. Honestly blown away with the detail. And it's typical CoD campaign length, and highly recommended before playing MP as it familiarises you with the exo's abilities.

The MP is cracking. It feels fresh, new and like a proper CoD MP. The customisation of the classes is massive, and the ability to upgrade scorestreaks is interesting. The weapons all feel different, but with an air of familiarity. The exo's add a new layer of depth to the game, and with all the maps taking advantage with vertical gameplay, it will take a while to get used to. I'm level 19 and still getting the hang of it, even after completing the campaign.

The only gripes i had were (on PS4) that there were slight moments of lag in nearly every mission in SP, but the MP seems to be running smooth. I'll have to wait until more people have the game to really judge MP, because as it stands i seem to be getting mostly French/Russian lobbies, and that's slightly laggy. The next few weeks will tell, but i can see myself putting in MW/BlOps kinda hours into this (that is, quite a lot). And i'm so happy, because after Ghosts, i thought it might have been the end of CoD for me.

If you didn't like BlOps or MW online, you may not like this, but i urge those to at least rent it and try it as it might surprise you. And so what if it's similar to other games, it may be, but it still has the distinct CoD franticness, and deserves to be judged in it;s own merit, and not compared to other FPS's because, as said above, there's only certain places you can go with FPS's. Hell, if they were to include the vehicles from SP into MP, people would be complaining it was a Battlefield rip-off, even though they're 2 completely different games!

TL;DR - Give it a go.

• Advertisement

Decided to cave.

Been playing for about 2 hours. Must say, great game. The jump thing isn't op and is really disadvantageous if you use it too much. Just adds a really nice touch to the game. It seems natural and not forced.

This is what ghosts should have been really.

I haven't found any maps I hate yet, all the guns are good.
    Enemies are easy to spot unlike ghosts.

Having the maps more dynanic where people can come from above and the side is a nice touch, the maps are like black ops 2 maps but with an upstairs and downstairs level rather than the 3 alleys.

Had one or 2 instances where I spawned in front of a guy. Nothing really as bad as ghosts where they spawn behind you the second you move.

Could do with a few more game types/sticks and stones etc

So it's well worth the money, it's like black ops 2 maps but nicer and rounder, and then what ghosts should have been.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Covering his ass already lol

Ahhh Headshot you never liked Cod! Don't know why you bother trolling Cod threads now?
    This game is a return to form for The Cod franchise after the disaster that was Ghosts. If I was Activision I'd cut Infinaty Ward loose and bring in a new developer, maybe they could get Bungie to make a fresh take on the franchise. I can't see anyone buying Ghosts 2 in two years time.

Also any Xbox 360 players, feel free to pop over to the cod forum. Still a handful of us playing regularly.

Add moldythree248 and I'll send you an invite to a game because I'm sound like that

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I have literally no idea how people have this notion that CoD games have good stories; the story has always been shockingly bad and a total waste of time. There's nothing wrong with making the best multi-player game out there (and love it or hate it, the raw numbers don't lie, only the Halo "I can't believe these rubes are willing to pay for all mediocrity this again" edition might give it a run for its money this season), but the "story" in any CoD game is the equivalent of the tacked on multi-player that so many people hate in good single player games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Maybe they BOTH stole the jetpack from the Tribes series?! :eek:

Seriously though, Sledgehammer have been working on this title fully since they finished Modern Warfare 3 and were probably doing some pre-production on it towards the end of that project. This would have also tied in with production on the near-future Black Ops 2 which was in development over at Treyarch. All of this was happening in around 2011, which was also when pre-production on Titanfall was beginning at Respawn.

From what I've seen of the game so far, it doesn't look like it was tacked on later in development either. Increased mobility seems to be one of the key gameplay improvements present with jetpacks not only offering a greater degree of freedom vertically but also allowing for greater control with the UT-style dodges on both the ground and in mid-air. The levels themselves also seem to have been designed to place more emphasis on verticality to facilitate this faster and more fluid character movement.

I'm certainly intrigued by the game judging by early reactions, alas I'm two entries in the series behind so I'll be catching up on those before I pick this one up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Shiminay wrote: »
    I have literally no idea how people have this notion that CoD games have good stories; the story has always been shockingly bad and a total waste of time.

True. Apart from this one.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Well wonders will never cease :D

I'm glad, I always felt they let themselves down with the story, I hope this is the start of new standard in the series.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Lots of positive feedback from my friends on PC on this. Haven't went for a week release purchase on COD since MW2, but I've made an exception on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Haven't enjoyed a CoD since MW2 but this is a lot of fun! After a few hours of multiplayer I can say the maps are a hell of a lot better than previous instalments. Some are excellent and really make good use out of your movement. Killstreaks are not too overwhelming and the gunplay is as solid as ever. I haven't played the campaign yet but I'm hearing good things so will give it a play through soon.

Would recommend it to anyone who was a fan of MW2 multiplayer but has disliked the previous games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Uplink, what a fun game mode.

I like what they have done with the scorestreaks. You can upgrade them, but if you do it will take more points to trigger them.

Advertisement