Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call Of Duty: Advanced Warfare | News/Info/Speculation

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

People are gonna bitch and moan constantly about CoD, regardless if it's an improvement or not. People have their mind made up about a new CoD game before it's released and if they do pick it up, they're starting with a negative view of it and that skews the view, even if the game is good.

I buy CoD every year, because i know what i'm getting. It's the Expendables of the gaming world, high intensity 'splosion after 'splosion, with a sometimes good story, good voice acting and pretty good visuals. I don't mind if it does nothing new, as long as it's entertaining. I will never expect a seriously deep or an award winning story. But it has it's moments, like (i'm gonna spoiler them)
    crawling from the tank after the nuke going off, the hanging at the end of MW3, etc

The multiplayer is also expected to be pretty much the same, with perks and scorestreaks changing up the different games. If it keeps the intensity of the previous games and makes it enjoyable (which they are to me) then i'll lap it up.

However, Ghosts has taught me a lesson: don't buy the hardened edition on launch. I did for Ghosts and i played no more than a couple of weeks online before trading it in. Ghosts is the weakest in the series, and the MP is a mess. If Sledgehammer can avoid the mistakes IW did with Ghosts, it will sell like hotcakes.

And for people calling it Call of Duty: Crysis - What about it? It's not going to be the exact same, and a lot of games these days have parts of other games in them. It must be hard to make an FPS which tries to stay grounded in reality (exo-suits and camo are being tested irl) when there has been a massive back catalog of similar games, and if they went back to WW2 times, or even recent times, people would complain that it's a copy of X game.

I don't mind people liking COD, so long as they know what the game is and they don't make it out to be some grand 10 out 10 rated game. Activision throws out a product that generally appeals to the prepubescents (not saying you're this!) and what not, and it sells and will continue to sell. Good for them. I'm not going to settle for a product that's getting worse, IMO. People have said I am a COD hater when I'm actually a massive fan of the series pre-MW3 really, sure, I used to moderate the COD forum here on boards, but when my interest waned, so did my will to moderate the forum. I could see the forum was becoming quieter by the month too towards the end. The COD forum is quite telling now I feel at least in terms of Boards. The forum was bustling and full of activity up to MW3. Now it's a ghost town. Amusing the latest game is called Ghosts. But seriously, the way the forum has gone is somewhat sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

Nuri Sahin wrote: »
    I don't mind people liking COD, so long as they know what the game is and they don't make it out to be some grand 10 out 10 rated game. Activision throws out a product that generally appeals to the prepubescents (not saying you're this!) and what not, and it sells and will continue to sell. Good for them. I'm not going to settle for a product that's getting worse, IMO. People have said I am a COD hater when I'm actually a massive fan of the series pre-MW3 really, sure, I used to moderate the COD forum here on boards, but when my interest waned, so did my will to moderate the forum. I could see the forum was becoming quieter by the month too towards the end. The COD forum is quite telling now I feel at least in terms of Boards. The forum was bustling and full of activity up to MW3. Now it's a ghost town. Amusing the latest game is called Ghosts. But seriously, the way the forum has gone is somewhat sad.

I wonder does the annual release model tend to kind of hurt the series in that way. I mean it's kind of like the sports games, once you get this year's version you aren't going be playing the previous one much any more, compared to something like TF2 where it snowballs more players over the years and maintains steady interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,197 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

C14N wrote: »
    I wonder does the annual release model tend to kind of hurt the series in that way. I mean it's kind of like the sports games, once you get this year's version you aren't going be playing the previous one much any more, compared to something like TF2 where it snowballs more players over the years and maintains steady interest.

You hit on something there, and maybe it's the same as CoD, but i don't play any FIFA's or PES's, or Football/Championship Managers, but do they get the same amount of slack as CoD gets? They release more than 1 game a year (between 2000 and 2009 incl, FIFA released 15 games!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

You hit on something there, and maybe it's the same as CoD, but i don't play any FIFA's or PES's, or Football/Championship Managers, but do they get the same amount of slack as CoD gets? They release more than 1 game a year (between 2000 and 2009 incl, FIFA released 15 games!).

COD is on a 2 year dev cycle compared to fifa/fm/pes 1 and yet if you compare the difference between fifa 08 and 14 to COD4 and ghosts fifa is the most improved

most inbetween fifa games are done by other teams in ea canada or are literally a reskin with the exception of the 2010 wc game since a lot of engine dev went into it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

CoD gets slack? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Randall Floyd

I remember a couple of years ago when FIFAs big selling point for the year was a new type of defending system, went around to a friends who had bought it and asked him how he was getting on adjusting to it, I just turned it off he said, made me laugh :D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Call fo Duty 4, for me, was near perfect. Everything from the soundtrack to the single player, the environments, the maps and mission styles, the plot and then topped off with a fantastic multiplayer system that was only let down by a matchmaking system as opposed to dedicated servers.

What a game. I played it until support was dropped from it and own it both on PC and on the 360. Ever since then, the series has been in freefall. MW2 was ok. Nothing near CoD4, but you could see the change happening and I haven't bought a CoD since.

I'm new to this forum by the way. Hello! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

For a series thats supposedly dead / dying, the thread wasnt long ballooning up to over 120 posts.

I reckon they'll have to seriously hit it out of the park on the multiplayer front to undo some of the harm that ghosts has done.

• For a series thats supposedly dead / dying, the thread wasnt long ballooning up to over 120 posts.

I reckon they'll have to seriously hit it out of the park on the multiplayer front to undo some of the harm that ghosts has done.

COD will always generate interest. Be it positive or negative to be fare.

This shouldn't be getting a 360 and PS3 release, it just confirms that it's another money making exercise rather than a genuine attempt to do something new and interesting with the franchise.

I cant remember where I read it, but I think the current gen version is being handled by a different team, and may not even be the same game - kind of like when we had Call of Duty 2 on xbox 360 and "call of duty 2 - big red one" on the original xbox.

• Advertisement

Oh,

and if this game doesnt use the microsoft servers that titanfall uses, It'll be a crying shame. getting 16ms ping to a server in dublin is game changing.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    COD will always generate interest. Be it positive or negative to be fare.

I'm at least mildly curious about this, It could be great if they use the microsoft servers like titanfall does, played a bit of black ops 2 last night for the first time in ages, the connection quality varies like mad.

For a series thats supposedly dead / dying, the thread wasnt long ballooning up to over 120 posts.

The thing I couldn't understand about when Ghosts was released was the amount people that were saying "ah its just more of the same like MW3", there were so many things wrong with Ghosts that it made MW3 look like a flawless masterpiece by comparison.
    At times it felt like the only thing the two had in common was that Call of Duty was written on both boxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Know what I'd love? A best-of CoD. Give me an upscaled Black Ops 2 engine with all the maps from COD4, MW2 and a few from MW3, BLOPS 1 and 2.

The thing I couldn't understand about when Ghosts was released was the amount people that were saying "ah its just more of the same like MW3", there were so many things wrong with Ghosts that it made MW3 look like a flawless masterpiece by comparison.
    At times it felt like the only thing the two had in common was that Call of Duty was written on both boxes.

In fairness, most of the lads we play with didnt stick at it for too long, but it seemed to take the rest of the world about 3 months to cop on that twas a load of auld ****e. It definitely soured people on the franchise though, you can see that from the amount of people that seem to have stopped playing altogether.

of course, I made the mistake of getting battlefield 4 on xbox one, a great game when it works, which is hardly ever. :mad:

I noticed you got titanfall on 360, how're you finding it?

I noticed you got titanfall on 360, how're you finding it?

Yeah enjoying it, needs a few more game modes etc. though, feels like a good platform for Respawn to build on with future games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Know what I'd love? A best-of CoD. Give me an upscaled Black Ops 2 engine with all the maps from COD4, MW2 and a few from MW3, BLOPS 1 and 2.

A multiplayer only game with "best of" map collection and the best mechanics taken out of all games and put into it

C14N wrote: »

It does and it doesn't. I always believed too much was never a good thing when it comes to COD, but not so much in regards to the yearly release necessarily, though it's certainly a factor that won't be changing any time soon till the current audience in the main starts waking up. Activision like EA is relentlessness, they rather see a series die if short - medium term profit is guaranteed. I've mentioned the Tony Hawk series by them, and someone else mentioned Guitar Hero as prime examples, even if they're more niche games at this stage whereas before it was cool thing to be playing either. I've gone off in a bit of a tangent, but it has more to do with the content within any one game. I get with trying to improve the game by adding new game type/modes, guns, maps, etc, etc, etc. But it's the other things that have soured the franchise for me and many. Namely perks and killstreaks. Map design as far as I am concerned as consistently worsened every year too.

In COD4, I was fairly indifferent about one or two maps when playing certain game types such as the map Downpour which was only good for Search and Destroy and horrible for everything other game type, but the map suited a specific game type at least. It had a purpose behind the design, that was most evident. Creek (one of the four COD4 DLC maps) was another one, it was clearly designed for Search and Destroy in mind. So many of the maps since served no real purpose other than to spawn trap which unfortunately many COD players live to play for in their ultimate goal of thinking they'll get laid by holding a good K/D it seemed like from MW2 onwards! I know from my time in the COD forum that people set out for that. Team up and spawn trap the other team, they thought they were brilliant.

COD4 brought in the perk system which for many that was a breath of fresh air, and it was just that. As the games progressed more elaborate perks became part and parcel of COD, all the while retaining the bad few perks from COD4 for years. Some even rewarding bad players in the form of deathstreaks which is frankly absurd. Deathstreaks is another thing that shows how COD has catered for today's generation of gamers. If you want to improve, put in the time to improve, it's rather simple, harsh some might say, but I don't think so whatsoever.

Despite my mostly negative spiel about how things are have got to the point they are now, the competitive scene was usually decent up to when I had stopped playing/following in 2011 or so. You'd get the odd cretinous, annoying smack talkers, but it was a tight knit community up to the end of MW2 anyway. Much better than public games where 9 out of every 10 players cared about themselves.

Both are terribly average FPS games at best either way. MW3 was the wall to the car that was my interest in COD. The single worst game I've ever bought it's safe to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

I'm sure some of those were just spinoffs of some kind (World Cup games or versions for Ngage:p). The main series is in the same boat as COD, releasing a new installment once a year. I don't think COD gets a lot of slack though, I'd say it's the industry's biggest straw-man for taking a whack at due to it's popularity and inability to innovate or change.

It's only dying in the way that a fairly healthy 45 year old man with some back problems is technically dying. It's past it's peak but it's still got life left for a while yet. Nobody said it's dead, that would be absurd. If any other game got the sales that Ghosts got it would be considered a huge success.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think the door is open for something new and better to come along and knock CoD off it's throne. It happened at the start of the last generation. Halo 3 was a shoe in for the multiplayer top spot until CoD 4 came out of no where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I think the door is open for something new and better to come along and knock CoD off it's throne. It happened at the start of the last generation. Halo 3 was a shoe in for the multiplayer top spot until CoD 4 came out of no where.

and rightly so
    cod4 deserved it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Retr0gamer wrote: »

It's not Titanfall, that's for sure. Holding out some hope that Destiny can do just that but so far it really just looks like Halo: Borderlands Edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

It's not Titanfall, that's for sure. Holding out some hope that Destiny can do just that but so far it really just looks like Halo: Borderlands Edition.

Looks a little bit like Titanfall tanked on the scheme of things, even considering its a new IP in the world of remakes. Its a pity, I quite like the game. But there is a certain something in terms of replayability that its missing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think EA were banking on call of duty numbers which is just stupid. It's a new ip and the end of the generation means slow sales on the previous gen and small install base on the new consoles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

I know I am going to get a lot of hate for what I am about to say but I just find it hard to believe that people will actually consider buying another CoD game after they way that they have been treating us for the last few years.

And I am not talking about the new games not meeting expectation etc its actually the opposite, the fact that I can't play any of the older games because they are all hacked in some way doesnt bother anyone?

Seriously has everyone lost their selfrespect ?

how can you even consider buying more of their games is beyond me, I am sorry if I have offended anyone but what can I say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

That they allowed the old games to be hacked to hell seriously annoys me too. Obviously there's no money in it for them but the total apathy in relation to it bugs the hell out of me. I miss MW2 :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

It annoys me too but I've gotten (and still do) get a lot of enjoyable playing hours out BLOPS2 so I'm happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Is BLOPS 2 hacked as well? Really didn't play much of it.

From memory Blops 1 wasn't hacked too bad. MW2 can be mental and not in a good way. Had some relatively minor issues in MW3 but haven't played it in a while and I believe MW and WAW were badly ruined by hackers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Is BLOPS 2 hacked as well? Really didn't play much of it.

Not that I've noticed. MW2 is ridiculous, I attempted to play it a few weeks ago but gave up after about 30 mins.

Advertisement