Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Cybertron (comic)

• 01-05-2014 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone read Dark Cybertron in full yet? I picked up Volume 1 and found it underwhelming. The story is a bit slow, the two writing styles don't really gel and some of the artwork is fairly meh. Does it pick up in later issues?

Here's my full review of Volume 1 in any case:
    http://www.krank.ie/category/cul/transformers-dark-cybertron-volume-1-review/

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

IIRC, it is, or was recently(?), heavily discounted on Comixology.

If i sound like i don't really know, it's cause i don't read comics.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

It does not pick up for a while, like a looong while.
    Initially I really disliked it because it completely derailed More Than Meets The Eye for the last few months. Then I disliked it because, overall, it was a bit of a mess.
    I can't remember which artist was responsible for each thread but there were really times that I hated a certain thread line because the artwork was jarring to look at compared to the rest.
    The story was a mess too and unless you are familiar with MTMTE and Robots in Disguise I cannot even imagine this being comprehensible. There's even (literal) bits in it that are only- I think- referenced in Trailcutter's spotlight comic released with his figure.

However, it is worth reading to the end - there's some really good scenes and the twists and characters have moved into MTMTE and RID as well as the new Windblade series.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AxlF

AxlF wrote: »
    I can't remember which artist was responsible for each thread but there were really times that I hated a certain thread line because the artwork was jarring to look at compared to the rest.

I just read your review and you've pinpointed the bits I didn't enjoy. Although, even Ramondelli's artwork starts to become soul crushing after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I'm sure I'll pick up Volume 2. I've read all of the IDWverse and am too committed to back out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 GerHankey

Yeah, a bit messy at the beginning, and the artwork is odd - it goes from being overly detailed to very boxy (almost like G1 cartoons) in places. I hadn't read the Spotlights so I was a bit lost at the start of the story. It does get more cohesive and picks up a good bit as it goes on, and there are some fantastic double-page spreads in the last couple of issues. I found the actual "climax" rather anti-climactic to be honest, but to be fair I've probably thought that about every event/crossover comic series in any comic.

• Advertisement

I picked up the collection of Spotlights titled 'Dark Prelude' and I'm glad I did. Otherwise I'd be completely lost.
    One thing I'm left wondering though; were Rattrap and Scoop featured in the IDWverse before? They seem to be treated like long-serving characters, but I don't remember them showing up before...

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

They were in the ongoing book ahead of Dark Cybertron. A few appearances in the background and a bit more prominent once Starscream assumed his new "role". (Trying to avoid spoilers)

Jayd0g wrote: »
    They were in the ongoing book ahead of Dark Cybertron. A few appearances in the background and a bit more prominent once Starscream assumed his new "role". (Trying to avoid spoilers)

edit: I just realised that I missed out on RiD Volume 5 in its entirity. I thought it only went up to V4 :o

I believe Volume 2's release date was yesterday. Any sign of it on these shores yet?

Advertisement