Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to drop out, NEED HELP!

Options
  • 01-05-2014 7:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

basically, I know it's late but my exams are coming and I know I'm not going to do well, I'm not happy with the subjects Iv chosen! I haven't paid any of my fees yet, now I know this isn't the "right" thing to do, but before I tell my mum In thinking of dropping out I want to find out if I could get away with this, I was thinking of not paying my fees and reapplying through the cao and picking different subjects! Would I get caught to pay first years fees??? This may be a stupid question!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 JS0692

I'm not sure about getting away with not paying the fees. But the government has already paid a few grand towards yours so you'll be hit with full fees next year anyway. I dropped out of first year before going to UCD and was caught with over 7 grand of fees then when I started my second first year. I rekon your cheapest option is to just repeat the year... I think if you fail in arts you can choose different modules anyway, my friend in UCC did that after failing first year.. and it wasnt the full wack of fees

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭Kiltennel

You wont receive free fees next year if you drop out since you've already done first year so you'll end up paying full fees which generally is 5500+ dependent on what course you're in.

If you drop out and reapply to Arts you'll still have to pay your fees for first year and then full fees for your second attempt at first year. If you drop out and do a course in another college you wont receive free fees there for your first year and UCD may pursue legal action against you for the outstanding fees as you've made use of a service which you're now not paying for. Whether they would pursue legal action I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭lajoie

I would strongly recommend going to the relevant programme office as soon as possible and assessing what your options are for next year. As the previous posters have said, you will not be eligible for "free fees" next year because they will have note of your CAO number and that you were registered in full time third level for a year (whether you paid the college itself or not). Is there anything salvageable from the year? For example, is it just one of your subjects that you dislike, so you could continue the other two? Or is there even one that you would see yourself continuing and then maybe just "making the best" of the second one (not ideal..but if it would be a good option in the long run, it might be worth some short-term struggle).

Advertisement