Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No architect's cert - should I buy?

Options
  • 01-05-2014 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭

Hi i've been sale agreed since Oct finally got word to go see solicitor 2d regarding contracts. They have no architech cert and will not be getting us one.

Can anyone give me an idea off how this could affect us in future .

Thanks guys just I been waiting that long I just want to sign the thing an move in but know I best to get as info as possible

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

What work was done that should have a cert? By which I presume you mean a certificate of compliance with the building regulations?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭rionn

The house is finished and has been lived in.. This is what the solicitor told me today that they have not sent in the architech certi of completion, my solicitor says this could affect us if we go to sell the house later:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

you can finish and live in a house but it doesn't mean it conforms to regs. Did they build it themselves? AFAIK, every house should have someone such as engineer or architect sign off that its all in order.

I presume it's a recent enough build from the way you've phrased it? I'd ask the vendor first off to contact the architect/engineer they were dealing with at the time and ask them to send it on. It could be a simple oversight. I don't understand why they won't be "getting you one".

If they cannot get a certificate of compliance (is this what you mean? Because this is what you need. Completion just means the job was done, which, if it's standing, not leaking, looks right and has been lived in it obviously has been finished!) as opposed to will not then you need to look at why. It could be a simple matter of doing a simple fix to something to bring it in line with the building regs at the time and then get it certified, or it could be a complicated matter where the building is very much not in compliance. Alternatively they might not be able to contact the architect/engineer they used. If a certificate of compliance can't be obtained, you'll need to engage a structural engineer to do an inspection for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

#4 at http://www.lawyer.ie/ten-step-law/selling-a-house-2
    Any house built since the 1st October 1964 requires planning permission. The solicitor will need to make sure that the planning documentation is in order. This will usually entail an architect’s certificate stating that the conditions of the planning regulations have been complied with. If there has been any development on the property a similar approval will be required.
    Thus I'd wonder what was added on, and can the new owner (the OP) be ordered to remove the addition at a later stage? My worry would be that something never got planning permission, and the current owners are hoping to sell the property without addressing the issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Are you buying with a mortgage? If so, your Bank will have a problem with this. If you are buying cash, it means you will only be able to sell to a cash buyer in the future.

Hi and thanks for your replys, no I am a cash buyer.. I have already got a structural engineer out to the house he says everything is in order, the solicitor says we should now get our own architech to sign off on it, we are wondering is this still necessary after the structural engineer says everything is in order..

The cost of an archtech to sign off is 400 which we badly need to cover the move into the house. We are hoping/thinking that if when do decide to sell down the line the new buyers could get a architech to sign off on it..

rionn wrote: »
    Hi and thanks for your replys, no I am a cash buyer.. I have already got a structural engineer out to the house he says everything is in order, the solicitor says we should now get our own architech to sign off on it, we are wondering is this still necessary after the structural engineer says everything is in order..

The cost of an archtech to sign off is 400 which we badly need to cover the move into the house. We are hoping/thinking that if when do decide to sell down the line the new buyers could get a architech to sign off on it..

If the engineer reckons it's in order, if you've checked the planning permission, if the reason that the vendors won't get a cert seems reasonable (you NEED to check this, if they already paid the architect/engineer it won't cost them extra to get it issued) and you're happy to, then go ahead and move in, have it certified once your cash flow situation improves.

If it was me, I wouldn't budge on it til there was a certificate in place. It's €400, either find the money, insist that the vendor takes the hit for it, or offer to share the cost with the vendor.

Ok thanks miss n s is nice to others views, i will wait it out till i see if they can come up with the form needed..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

are you sure there is some reason for it. The reason I ask is that some solicitors go looking for odd stuff and don't know themselves why. E.g. when I was selling, the buyers solicitor looked for the BER cert even though there is no actual official cert. One colour print out later and she got her official cert..........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,249 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I'd be very wary. Insist on the cert as a condition of the sale.

Advertisement