Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History

Options
  • 01-05-2014 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi I made this thread to ask what essays people are learning for Dictatorship and Democracy? I'm really unsure on what to study!
    So far I have:
    Jarrow March,
    Hitler's foreign policy
    Stalin, Mussolini, Hitler propganda
    Nazi State
    Church-State relations Germany/Britain.

do you think this is enough???

please help :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Technology of warfare is a pretty nice one and hasn't come up very recently

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭MrAweesome

I'm doing Church state relations Germany and Italy not Britain.
    Also, I have a feeling some of these may come up

Britain's The Home Front
    Lenin and Stalin's contribution Communism in Russia
    Technology of war and resistance
    Britain and Germany comparison inter war
    The Nurmbery Rallies with Propaganda

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aarong9224

You seem very safe with what you have. Lenin and stalin has come up every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Would you not be better to cover all topics of the main figures ie Hitler, Mussolini, Lenin or Stalin, as opposed to doing some bits from each. Russia always makes some sort of an appearance as does Fascism so maybe try to stick with them rather than hoping stuff like The Jarrow March come up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

The rise of fascism came up last year, history is such a vast course you can't just say "study everything". Its too much

• Advertisement

Something about Nazi Germany and Communism in Russia is bound to come up. As far as I remember, Hitler was a no show on last years paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 anklebiters

I think the best thing is to focus solely on the Case Studies. Remember there is more on the course then Dictatorship and Democracy so you could be putting yourself under a lot of stress. the case studies will always come up so as long as you have a solid understanding of them you will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Case Studies don't always come up, you'd be taking a gamble focusing solely on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mjackson37

This has been very helpful to me and was just wondering if anybody had any ideas about america i am struggling to narrow down on what to study there is so much

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭ejayy

America : ( what I am learning)

Why did US engage in Vietnam
    Lyndon Johnson and his policies in Vietnam
    Lyndon Johnson
    Space
    Consensus
    MLK as leader
    Montgomery bus boycott significance
    US economy before and after war
    Religion
    Why did US follow policy of containment

Thats it I think. hopefully it wil be enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

ejayy wrote: »
    America : ( what I am learning)

Why did US engage in Vietnam
    Lyndon Johnson and his policies in Vietnam
    Lyndon Johnson
    Space
    Consensus
    MLK as leader
    Montgomery bus boycott significance
    US economy before and after war
    Religion
    Why did US follow policy of containment

Thats it I think. hopefully it wil be enough :)

My teacher is predicting Hitlers foreign policies, Nuremberg Rallies and Warfare. The same were predicted last year so I guess they have to be there sometime :D

oncex wrote: »
    My teacher is predicting Hitlers foreign policies, Nuremberg Rallies and Warfare. The same were predicted last year so I guess they have to be there sometime :D

Thank you oncex!! :) Im going to learn those well so :P

What Irish section you doing??

Also what you earning for the document?? :)

Is anyone doing Division and Realignment ?

I'm doing Coleraine University, Civil rights movement, anglo irish agreement and sunningdale. I hope that's enough for Northern Ireland?

MrAweesome wrote: »
    Is anyone doing Division and Realignment ?

I'm doing Coleraine University, Civil rights movement, anglo irish agreement and sunningdale. I hope that's enough for Northern Ireland?

Im doing that aswell, and throwing in Apprentice boys :)

Im doing that aswell, and throwing in Apprentice boys :)

I was going to direct rule or O'Neill as a leader but I think one of them is really likely to come up.

I'm thinking that The Treaty will come up for document question. I hope it does!

Yeah they would be good to throw in :)

I hope so!! I havent really touched the document yet tbh :/

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

Anybody doing Nation States and International Tensions (what a SNORE-FEST). If so, what are you going to study???
    I do try, I start the book and learn Bismarck and Wilhelm's Naval Policy (which i know too well by now), then the next chapter is 'The Rise of Serbia' and I fall into a coma. I hate this topic. I can't remember a thing from it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oncex

Thank you oncex!! :) Im going to learn those well so :P

What Irish section you doing??

Also what you earning for the document?? :)

Everything for the document, I dont see why someone would take the chance on such easy marks... I did the case studies as a full section last year so i know them well. As for Ireland, I'm doing Movements for political control, I'm thinking Unionist opposition will come up.

oncex wrote: »
    Everything for the document, I dont see why someone would take the chance on such easy marks... I did the case studies as a full section last year so i know them well. As for Ireland, I'm doing Movements for political control, I'm thinking Unionist opposition will come up.

Well you are lucky having done that section last year, as for me im not so lucky! Last year I done NI and republic of ireland and not partion. Plus Im an external candidate so dont know what to do this year for the document

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

Generally if you learn everything about the dictators you'll be fine. Some people like Technology of Warfare but I personally hated it when doing history. Something often comes up on popular culture eg Charlie Chaplin and developments in film, radio etc but you shouldn't go near it unless you have A1 material prepared for it.

Overall, once you know Lenin, Stalin, Mussolini and Hitler you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭SChique00

Anybody doing Nation States and International Tensions (what a SNORE-FEST). If so, what are you going to study???
    I do try, I start the book and learn Bismarck and Wilhelm's Naval Policy (which i know too well by now), then the next chapter is 'The Rise of Serbia' and I fall into a coma. I hate this topic. I can't remember a thing from it.

YES - ah not the worst of the three, I personally found Movements for Social and Political Reform to be the blandest book :rolleyes:
    Anyways, I'm doing:
    Wilhelm's Naval Policy
    Anti-Semitism (France and Russia)
    Church-state Tensions (Germany and Italy)
    Economic Crisis in Tsarist Russia 1870-1917
    WWI Economy and Society (Germany and Britain)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

What is the layout of the paper OL History paper ?

Do you answer the two Irish and one of American/European

That's what the papers say but my teacher said 1 Irish and the European and American
    If the first is true you can leave out one book then ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 eoin14

SChique00 wrote: »
    YES - ah not the worst of the three, I personally found Movements for Social and Political Reform to be the blandest book :rolleyes:
    Anyways, I'm doing:
    Wilhelm's Naval Policy

could not think of a worse topic than that

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭oswinoswald

Anyways, I'm doing:
    Wilhelm's Naval Policy

Thanks, seems like enough!! Wilhelm does come up every 2 years in some way. I honestly cannot stand this topic!! I really do have to get a move on with it..

Does anybody know what was on the history deb and exam craft mock papers?? Like exact titles if at all possible for these topics:
    USA
    Dictatorship and democracy
    Northern Ireland
    Republic of Ireland??

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aimeexgx

Thanks, seems like enough!! Wilhelm does come up every 2 years in some way. I honestly cannot stand this topic!! I really do have to get a move on with it..

would I be ok with Bismarck, Wilhelm, Literacy and the reasons why ww1 started? Also for the document how much do you have to write for the final question?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 aimeexgx

Anyways, I'm doing:
    Wilhelm's Naval Policy

Butt, Parnell, GAA, the gaelic league, literary revival, suffragettes, would I be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 watsupboys

Hitler and his Nazi did not come up at all last year do u think guys it will definitely come up this year?. And for US history would Vietnam war be enough? (i also know a little bit about racial conflict and the different cirsis like Berlin, and Cuba one)

Advertisement