Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living off grid

• 01-05-2014 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭

I am about to move back to ireland and can only afford an off grid property, which I don't mind really....are there many off gridders out there ? if so, can anyone share ideas, tips etc. I would really appreciate it. i have a pretty small budget so please keep that in mind :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

how is an off grid property cheaper?

indeed what do you mean by an off grid property?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

sheesh wrote: »
    how is an off grid property cheaper?

indeed what do you mean by an off grid property?

Well there are no services ...i.e. The electricity hasn't been connected for more than 5 years....so that means it would cost a lot to get it connected...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

Living off grid is do-able, but will also cost you money.

If you're planning on moving into a cottage with no services you'll have to provide, water, septic and power.

Rainwater harvesting is probably your best option, and better for you if there is a stream on property that you can supplement your rainwater with.

Septic is a major expense, I'd be looking at composting toilets and humanure

Electric power will have to be a 3 pronged approach, Solar, Wind and a stand by generator.

If you can keep your power consumption down to lights and low power tv etc you should be able to manage with 12v systems.

I plan on building a shed :D on my mountain holding with camper van accessories (fridge cooker lights) to avoid the cost of connecting electricity.

Google search the words in bold type.

sounds pretty good mountain holding !:D
    I am going to go with a compost loo, i have built them before , so no bother there ....I was really wondering what is the cost of buying solar panels, or a small wind turbine, 12v goods/products, hand cranked items maybe ? any ideas or leads i would appreciate !

cambasque wrote: »
    sounds pretty good mountain holding !:D
    I am going to go with a compost loo, i have built them before , so no bother there ....I was really wondering what is the cost of buying solar panels, or a small wind turbine, 12v goods/products, hand cranked items maybe ? any ideas or leads i would appreciate !

Shop bought small turbines are expensive for the power output, solar panels are getting cheaper all the time.

There are several forums worldwide that deal with living off grid and are a mine of information.

• Advertisement

Yes i have found them online, i was hoping to find out some prices etc. just to see what would you get for your euro really. my needs would be very small...a light or two, possibly cell phone etc. i suppose there is no second hand market over there ?Is there a forum an irish forum for people living off grid, or do you know if there are many people living off grid over there?
    your project sounds interesting, will it be full time or just for weekends?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Stressica

If you find a forum for irish people living off grid, please share :)

Stressica wrote: »
    If you find a forum for irish people living off grid, please share :)

Why would it have to be a forum for Irish people living off grid.

The information you're looking for is available, take what's available and apply it to your situation.

I haven't met or heard of anyone in Ireland living off grid, so by that yardstick the forum for Irish people living off grid would be a very lonely place.

I'm sure there are several people interested in how best to achieve a low cost sustainable habitat for themselves and their families, but that might not mean necessarily living off grid.

I think anyone trying to achieve an off grid lifestyle in Ireland is going to encounter difficulties, using the resources currently available to minimise these difficulties is to me the first step in achieving an off grid lifestyle, therefore research, research, research are the 3 golden rules.

If you can't grow vegetables, harvest water, wire a light, or use a hammer, then these are the kinds of things you should be teaching yourself before you contemplate an off grid lifestyle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

I have friends who live off the grid in co clare they might answer, will leave a message to them to look at the thread...

Thanks dharma....that would be great...

• Advertisement

Of course it doesn't have to be Irish, I just thought it would be cool from an Irish persons perspective , that's all :)

You make some very valid points though about research and being able to do certain skills, which is what I'm starting on at the moment, hopefully within 5 years, Ill be at a very good place.

I can attempt to do most things.....not too strong on electricity but i van manage à basic solar system.....i would be very interested in a small wind turbine as well. I could only dream about self suffiency but i can never imagine being able to produce everything.....not physically possible for me personally.

If we dont dream, our dreams wont ever come true, cheesy I know but Ive been watching too much little house on the prairie today :)
    What I would say (and what Im planning on doing) is grow as much veg/fruit as possible and learn things like canning and preserving for winter ( a good freezer is a must)

Chickens for eggs + broiler chicks for meat.

Milk wise, Im looking at getting a goat.#

I already do a lot of fishing so next is hunting, just rabbits and a pheasant or two at first and hopefully one day a deer.

On the energy front, I haven't thought about that.. yet :)

Stressica wrote: »
    If we dont dream, our dreams wont ever come true, cheesy I know but Ive been watching too much little house on the prairie today :

That is still going then?! I weaned myself off tv a long time ago.....dont miss it at all...

Good for you....keep on dreaming!!!!:)

cambasque wrote: »
    I am about to move back to ireland and can only afford an off grid property, which I don't mind really....are there many off gridders out there ? if so, can anyone share ideas, tips etc. I would really appreciate it. i have a pretty small budget so please keep that in mind :)

When you buy this property,you'll know more about what you need to make it habitable/comfortable.

You will also be in a better position to decide how to prioritise your spending,your location will also have a bearing on what your priorities are going to be

You might be lucky and find a property with a stream for water supply.You might have enough ground to grow veg or willow for firewood or basket making.

If you're just looking for general advice as to what kind of things you're going to have to plan for when you choose this lifestyle a good place to start would be The Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency by John Seymour.

My ear is always open and like all the posters on these threads would have no problem dispensing any knowledge we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 brightsparks16

If you are planning to live off grid in Ireland you should look up a company called hybrid energy solutions I know they provide gensets to the telecoms industry and to people living on islands. I have seen them on telecoms site's that my company service's . Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

our off-grid home in Sweden... solar energy with a standby generator, rain water collection and water from a well, composting toilet, etc..

10341420_10152566374576590_4861570914374932173_n.jpg?oh=76358fb375f6ee7e9f90935e9a7d7839&oe=5451AE84

love the picture, thanks for sharing, about the same size as mine...yours looks much better, i am still renovating !
    do you feel like you can grow a lot on your plot, it's the average size of a modern plot in most of europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭CamperMan

Hi,

in the short growing season we do grow a fair bit in the garden, peas, beans, carrots, parsnips, spuds, sprouts, kohl, onions, leeks, various herbs, tomatoes, berries, apples, etc. etc., all on 1300 sq m

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭Animord

This guy did it in Kerry for a while, he doesn't update the blog anymore and he was getting pretty angry by the time he stopped - the most interesting information is at the beginning of the blog. Might be some help though.

• Advertisement

Animord wrote: »
    This guy did it in Kerry for a while, he doesn't update the blog anymore and he was getting pretty angry by the time he stopped - the most interesting information is at the beginning of the blog. Might be some help though.

What guy in Kerry,have you got a link to his blog ?

What guy in Kerry,have you got a link to his blog ?

Whoops, dunno what happened there.

http://www.ecopunk.org.uk/

have a look at these guys met him about 9 years ago for a multimedia project i was doing he still seems to be going

http://kerryat.com/

At the time they were already doing courses had composting toilets and had constructed a solar panel so it tracked the sun and wind turbines and they were nearly self sufficient in food.

They are offering courses that start on Saturday the first of August, I think the last time there was a Saturday 1st of August was 2009 so I think maybe they are defunct.

aww!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Brian Larkin

Im off the grid to an extent ie solar power,well water ect..it can be done in
    Ireland,buy a run down cottage away off the main drag and set up your system,
    I got four solar panels into eight 70 watt leisure batteries and a 500 watt inverter,
    thats plenty for us,we use the 12 volt power out from the charge controller
    for led lights,phone charging,dvd player ect..we have wood stoves for heat and fetch and cut our own wood,I am on my laptop now with the inverter on and my phone as a wi-fi hotspot,it can be done,but you need to get out into the sticks !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Hi just came across this thread. I live off grid but it wouldn't be your typical off grid situation.
    I built a 3100sq ft house last year with geothermal hp and ufh and lots of glazng for solar gain and all power is supplied by a 15kw hydro turbine coming from a spring on the farm, all drinking water is also supplied by this spring and waste is filtered through a reed bed soakaway and into an existing field drain. Kill my own lambs and cattle for meat, keep hens and have a small pond which i'm going to dredge & restock with trout.
    so yes it can be done but the cost of this would be prohibitive to anyone who wants the more traditional "off grid" lifestyle.
    We were building the house anyway so just incorporated as many green, renewable and cost effective options into it at the time. We're considering getting an electric or hybrid car at some stage but just unsure of the resale value of them and lifespan of them, obviously we have the free power to charge it so will be keeping an eye on that one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

brianlarkin, you sound like you are doing it ....what part of the country are u in ? i am wondering with the solar gain how it will work out...antrimglens your place sounds sweet but rightly said wy out of my budget !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Brian Larkin

Hi folks,There are us and uk forums on the intreweb that are good for ideas about
    living off the grid,mind you florida are not too keen on people being self reliant,
    I got my solar panels passed onto me,used and a bit batterd but do the job.
    my regulator came from a uk company 12v 30amp.of course you have to be a jack of
    all trades to live this way,fix things yourself,keep chickens,goats ect...give up the 9-5
    get off wellfare, think outside the box....

Advertisement