Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

living off grid

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Brian Larkin

Hi cambasque,solar panels have a built in diode built in and the regulator/charge controler does what it says on the tin,ebay is a good source for solar gear ie 100watt
    panels I got my 500watt inverter in a well known motor shop Halfords 90euro.
    hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Refeek Maher

This is really interesting, what part of Ireland are you living off the grid?

Have you thought of a diesel generator running off of waste vegetable oil? There would be some work in filtering the WVO and the initial cost may be a lot, but you might be able save in the long run and even generate 3 to 5 kW.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

If you wanted a solar panel to just heat water for washing etc what exactly would you need and is ireland suitable in terms of sunlight etc?

This is really interesting, what part of Ireland are you living off the grid?

Have you thought of a diesel generator running off of waste vegetable oil? There would be some work in filtering the WVO and the initial cost may be a lot, but you might be able save in the long run and even generate 3 to 5 kW.

Im looking at a buldog 3.5k diesel online @ buyadeal.ie a bit pricey,I have a 2.2k petrol atm but runs rough due to whats called petrol these days lol...but its got a avr built in so safe for soft electrics,a ex military diesel might be good!

Even in overcast Leitrim we get a good output off solar panels,there mounted
    on a old storage container facing south,as I said so long as your demand for power
    is not great ie 12 volt we rarely flatten the battery bank.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭Sh1tbag OToole

Is it possible to get planning permission for a house that's intended to be off the grid?

Is it possible to get planning permission for a house that's intended to be off the grid?

You buy a run down cottage with no planing permission on it,
    with intent to fix it up, your solar power kit is outside the house
    with a low voltage 12v cable running into the house,a small shed(temporary dwelling)
    will do, with the panels on the roof,inside you have your solar regulator
    and your battery bank..a well close by and water butts..a bottle gas cooker,
    ect....ect...

You buy a run down cottage with no planing permission on it,
    with intent to fix it up, your solar power kit is outside the house
    with a low voltage 12v cable running into the house,a small shed(temporary dwelling)
    will do, with the panels on the roof,inside you have your solar regulator
    and your battery bank..a well close by and water butts..a bottle gas cooker,
    ect....ect...

What if you wanted to build one on an empty site? Would they let you or would they laugh at you and say 'get out you eccentric twit'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

What if you wanted to build one on an empty site? Would they let you or would they laugh at you and say 'get out you eccentric twit'?

I would have thought if you have correctly planned an off grid system then the planners would be happy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭hexosan

my3cents wrote: »
    I would have thought if you have correctly planned an off grid system then the planners would be happy enough.

You've obviously never been through the planning process. You can have a pre planning meeting with them and they tell you the only thing they'll allow is ABC you go away complete an application with ABC submit it and get refused.
    I have never had to deal with a larger shower of window licking, computer says "no" , robot monkeys. (You can probably guess I'd a bad experience)

I was put through a year of paper nonsense because a planner confused the definition of a word and when it was pointed out to her refused to back down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

A planner has lots of grounds on which to refuse you. They are supposed to follow the "County Plan" and they could argue that your dwelling does not fit into that.

They are also looking out for future generations and in their eyes (but not ours) when you die nobody is going to want to buy a house that has no mains connections. There is a signifcant risk in their eyes that nobody will want your proposed house and so it could fall derelict. This is one of the things that planning laws are designed to prevent.

I've been looking for suppliers of equipment for going off grid or rather more for a back up for grid failure because I want to start small and see if going totally off grid is viable for the way we live. Anyway without rambling on too much I was looking for a supplier of stuff and came across navitron.org.uk prices seem good but I've yet to check cost of delivery to Ireland but there's a bonus as there is lots of useful information to be found on their sites forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭cambasque

i wonder then where is the best place to live in ireland off grid ? to get the maximum of sunshine hours for the solar panels? I was happily surprised Brian you do so well in Leitrim ... do u run much on your system, not being nosy !?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

cambasque wrote: »
    i wonder then where is the best place to live in ireland off grid ? to get the maximum of sunshine hours for the solar panels?

The sunny south east I would imagine when land value, cost of living etc. is taken into account.

main-qimg-211fcd8f3e72dba27850f4673dfc1bcd?convert_to_webp=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAY7RyMoA4g

this is an interesting watch

yes i have seen that....lovely video and i thought quite honest ...

sunny south east, yes that would be the best plae, but i am drawn more to west cork/south kerry. my main needs are for a light at night to read, charging a laptop and hopefully a fridge, as you live out in the sticks a bit, shopping once a month would do me ...

cambasque wrote: »
    sunny south east, yes that would be the best plae, but i am drawn more to west cork/south kerry. my main needs are for a light at night to read, charging a laptop and hopefully a fridge, as you live out in the sticks a bit, shopping once a month would do me ...

Where is the cheapest place in the country to buy land?? Also how would areas in the west fair for decent broadband??

Where is the cheapest place in the country to buy land?? Also how would areas in the west fair for decent broadband??

Strange how that would be a major living off the grid requirement for many people myself included. I'm well on grid here and make do with 3G so that would also do me for off grid.

my3cents wrote: »
    Strange how that would be a major living off the grid requirement for many people myself included. I'm well on grid here and make do with 3G so that would also do me for off grid.

I'd be hoping to move home in the next few years but still do consultancy so phone signal and broadband is a must

• Advertisement

i am trying to look into having broadband, perhaps with , what do they call it,? a dongle ? haven't looked into the coast of that yet though ...money is an issue so i have to tread carefully !

You can always take a look at siteviewer.ie to see where the nearest mast is to any location and its worth looking at potential sites on osi.ie for the lay of the land.

good idea on the site, thanks for that !

There are local wireless ISP's around the place, that usually offer a better connection than the mobile phone based ones.

For a true off the grid solution though you should consider long range wifi using homemade 'can'tennas connected to other people's wifi networks in exchange for some fish or a bag of turnips.

I always thought this was a pretty cool system, completely open source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RONJA

If you are really hardcore you can get an internet connection over amateur packet radio and get yourself a routable IP address starting with 44. Ideally you would have multiple means of accessing the public interwebs without relying on any commercial provider

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭obsidianclock

There are local wireless ISP's around the place, that usually offer a better connection than the mobile phone based ones.

For a true off the grid solution though you should consider long range wifi using homemade 'can'tennas connected to other people's wifi networks in exchange for some fish or a bag of turnips.

I always thought this was a pretty cool system, completely open source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RONJA

If you are really hardcore you can get an internet connection over amateur packet radio and get yourself a routable IP address starting with 44. Ideally you would have multiple means of accessing the public interwebs without relying on any commercial provider

Great ideas chief.

I have pondered this a lot and due to insistence of my better half she is going to insist Eircom install a line.

That said if all you want to do is e-mail and maybe play the odd Youtube clip, 3G Dongles should be fine. If you want to pirate loads of films, you'll probably find 10GB cap on your data a touch restrictive!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Interesting thread. I've been researching an eco-cabin out west for quite a few years now.

Composting loos will work but grey water (waste water that isnt human waste) disposal is a stumbling point. Any kind of septic tank requires planning permission I believe and that not possible.

Has anyone come up with a self contained grey water treatment unit?

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Interesting thread. I've been researching an eco-cabin out west for quite a few years now.

Composting loos will work but grey water (waste water that isnt human waste) disposal is a stumbling point. Any kind of septic tank requires planning permission I believe and that not possible.

Has anyone come up with a self contained grey water treatment unit?

An ordinary soak away? as in a hole in the ground with some stones and a pipe going into it? Has the EU banned those yet? Are you wanting to whiten the greywater for re-use?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

An ordinary soak away? as in a hole in the ground with some stones and a pipe going into it? Has the EU banned those yet? Are you wanting to whiten the greywater for re-use?

The main goal is to avoid the County Council if at all possible.

I believe you'd need permission for a soak away? They'd want you to build a septic tank wouldnt they?

• Advertisement

Its strange how people can be so anti-living off the grid and want to throw everyone into towns where they are completely dependent on what the council and the shops have to offer. It seems like they are only interested in factory farming people to drive up the GDP of the country or something

Advertisement